Light weight screenshot and annotate combo

Forum Forums antiX-development Graphics Light weight screenshot and annotate combo

• This topic has 126 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Apr 14-10:24 am by ile.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 127 total)
  • Author

So, I got Flameshot and Ksnip working, and they are both good, I would say Ksnip is more tuned to the task, and a little easier to work, but neither is what anyone at antiX would call lightweight…

Who knew that MTPaint could do annotation?

So I am wondering, could we do a little tweaking to antix-screenshot.sh and have it feed the pic to be annotated to MTPaint? End result, light weight screenshot and annotation combo, almost no code added, because we already have both programs and their dependencies. I found a way to get the documentation for MTPaint for a few k bytes, and maybe 500 bytes of code and setup.

Any interest?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by BobC.
    ileile

Hello BobC . good thoughts.
    mtpaint file menu, Actions, take screenshot [uses exec<mtpaint -s()>.] The save dialog opens the screenshot in mtpaint. annotate ready ,,, scribble, save.
    leave antiXscreenshot as is (seems special with feh.)
    Use mtpaint. mtpaint runs amazing low ram, less than tint2 as i recall.
    program the Actions window with custom commands; use it as a launcher panel; it detaches from the menu bar into its own Actions window.
    screenshooter on its own launcher panel. there we go. surround it with favorites or aliases. custom.

I like how antiX screenshot works to take the picture, so leave that alone.

Add option to Edit screenshot either on initial dialog or after screenshot is saved, call MTPaint to edit it.

Change MTPaint defaults so lines with arrowheads work.

Add html file with hotkey list and links to MTPaint manual so that help button works. Change MTPaint defaults to open this as its help screen.

ILE, Maybe you are right and people would prefer to automatically get a full screen shot and go straight to MTPaint. They could then crop, annotate and save it. If done that way, it would just be a question of how many seconds to delay before taking the picture.

Hi BobC, Ile,
    Many thanks for inspiring me to take a closer look at mtpaint, behind the quirky dated looks is a very
    solid lightweight tool which I had never really explored.

Agree arrow head lines for annotation would be really useful.
    This too: Add html file with hotkey list and links to MTPaint manual so that help button works.
    Change MTPaint defaults to open this as its help screen.

after playing with some (begged,borrowed,homemade) screenshot scripts.

As icewm user I found changing print key setting in ~/.icewm/keys to
    key “Print” mtpaint -s
    to be a very useful method, done that way adding a delay is for my usage irrelevant.
    # New Users, the command does not work with cut and paste from this forum post please
    just change a copied line in the keys file. Forum software changed my posted line.

@ile, program the Actions window with custom commands.
    I certainly must do that, as is the setup is mostly non fitting/outdated.
    Delivered that way many benifits especially for less experienced users.

Bit OT: have you tried nomacs for lightweight photo/image editing or corrections.
    # https://nomacs.org
    Another application where the quirky looks distract from the power and efficiency.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by ModdIt.

mtpaint
    AzPainter
    ^—– both of these apps have a 6.8MB runtime memory footprint.

English: https://azworldweb.wordpress.com
    Brazilian Portuguese: https://aznosekai.wordpress.com
    Russian: http://zenway.ru/page/azpainter

http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/a/azpainter/azpainter_2.1.6-1~mx19+1_i386.deb (536kb)
    or
    http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/a/azpainter/azpainter_2.1.6-1~mx19+1_amd64.deb

Packaged separately (74kb), the companion “apdtool” utility enables you to easily save/export individual layers

Myself, many times I need more than 5 seconds to get the screen setup with what I want displayed. 15 seconds is usually enough.

Maybe PrntScrn key for immediate copy and Ctrl+PrntScrn key (or with some other modifier) for a pop up parameters window then copy?

tweaking

antixscreenshot.sh and have it feed the pic to be annotated to MTPaint?

Any interest?

Would Aunt Nellie be better served if the final Y/n yad dialog of script would optionally pop a roxfiler window displaying the content of the destination directory… facilitating OpenWith (or drag to) the preferred editor//annotator? (with each usage, “preferred” may vary eh?)

Tip:
    mirage can perform screenshots
    and, via its toolbar, CustomActions, you can assign hotkeys for multiple
    SendTo <your choice of opener> actions

arrow head lines for annotation would be really useful.

From the Murga puppylinux forum (now unfortunately down): In mtpaint, View/Show dock. Set Flow to 8 or so. Then use line draw tool to draw a line; press s or a followed by esc to get an arrowhead at the end.
    hth

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Vincent17. Reason: typo

I found on mine that flow=10 was still too low, but flow=16 allowed arrowheads to be added.

I don’t know what ill effects changing flow to a higher number would have?

Flameshot and Ksnip did work but drag in lots of code.

The purpose was to make it easy to take a screenshot and annotate it.

Maybe nobody cares?

@Vincent17, thanks, good info.
    Just found same in the Mtpaint handbook. I have no issue as described by Bob, one pixel line set
    flow to 8 gives good open or closed arrowheads depending a or s then esc.

OT:
    Barry kauler is still kicking and bristling with ideas. For anyone interested in outdoor themes.
    https://bkhome.org/news/
    https://bkhome.org/news/202102/planning-equipment-for-next-ultralight-hiking-adventure.html
    has some good non/post puppy reading.

@skidoo, my real problem with mirage is printing. I need direct print to pdf and push out to either SW laser
    or for colour inkjet.

Preferred applications may vary, for sure, an extended screenshot script to serve Aunt Nellie, er new users 🙂
    a good idea to improve user experience in Bullsey.

BobC regarding delayed screenshots, skidoo has some good ideas to keep us all having a decent workflow.

In the ensd thinking of how new users can adapt is more important than our “somewhat special” habits.

ileile

Hello BobC
    You struck a nerve. good combination. good thoughts. and interest. thanks everyone; hello.
    “Keep this screenshot?”
    Can it be the addition of a third button asking
    Edit before saving?
    if yes hand-off to a program resembling mtpaint?
    What did you have in mind?

ILE,

Yes, that was the idea. One more button that says Edit on the last popup where it says it was saved.

They could click Edit to go to MTPaint, or click either Ok or Cancel.

As for Skiddoos suggestion, Mirage does have the advantage of showing the thumbnails down the left side, but I don’t think it would do picture editing and annotation like we are talking about. To do it that way I think it would be better to have a separate Image Editor default application. But that would cause a few more changes to be needed.

Skiddoo, I did try azpainter, but it can’t draw a line with an arrowhead at the end.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.