Light weight screenshot and annotate combo

Forum Forums antiX-development Graphics Light weight screenshot and annotate combo

• This topic has 313 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Jul 14-3:17 am by Koo.
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 313 total)
  • Author
    ile
    Helpful
    Up

Hello BobC
    Thank You for letting me be a helper under Your leadership.
    There is a screeenshoooter that offers to
    clear the working folder to get ready for this new project?
    Did you want to clean the folder and delete its content?
    y/N

The folder could be deleted. This case “Screenshots”

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

If I was running it separately, I would not have it use my separate annotation configuration file or settings.

You might not realize it was in use and make changes to it accidently, or you might do another screenshot at the same time…

Anyway, It could be run separately, but I thought it better you didn’t get your menu back until you finished with it, the same as when you were editing and annotating right after taking the screenshot.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Hello BobC
    Thank You for letting me be a helper under Your leadership.
    There is a screeenshoooter that offers to
    clear the working folder to get ready for this new project?
    Did you want to clean the folder and delete its content?
    y/N

The folder could be deleted. This case “Screenshots”

It should build it again for you.

ile
    Helpful
    Up

Yes. The making of “Screenshots” is there.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I figured nobody could complain if I made the default folder Screenshots because what would you expect to find in there?

I like to keep mine separate from my camera pics and wallpapers.

Thanks for not complaining, LOL

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Hello BobC
    For the cycling of the Action Dialog I did not remember what You wanted for the timing of its appearance presentation. Your intent could be to apply individually, but the script shows no special handling to make a difference; so I assumed they were all to function the same. More were opening the ActionDialog than not. some of the mtpaint changes are not about the Dialog timing. If different is not wrong, then pardon me; i will consider more your intent when i test function.

One thing I could do would be to move the MTPaint option up to the top and put it in its own frame, and name it differently.

“Save and Re-Edit/Annotate with MTPaint” to make it more clear that MTPaint is running with my special annotation settings. If the user inadvertently messes up the settings, they might need to copy files or reinstall the program to get things back to right.

I really am not an expert on “How should this work” but was trying to make it sensible for a typical screenshot workflow where you take a pic, clean it up and make it into an instruction card, and then incorporate it into a document, send, publish or post it.

That font mess still bothers me… I want to see if I can figure a way to add the text using MTPaint instead of Scrot. Then it would just use your default font there unless and until you change it. That seems clean to me.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I changed the Action dialog to have “Save and Re-open with MTPaint” at the top.

I added back the note text with or without date/time suffix option after I got it working automatically in MTPaint. The antiXscreenshot program will control the note text and date/time, and MTPaint will handle all the other attributes. When it opens the screenshot pic initially, it will paste your text and then you drag it wherever you want it on the pic. Its much better for normal people than expecting them to fill in font file names, format strings and color codes. MTPaint should be able to help them select those things much more nicely if the defaults need to be adjusted.

I updated the help text, too.

See if you like it?

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I think that everyone involved with this tool have presented good ideas and the tool is still pretty handy, but I am getting concerned about the number of features as I recently mentioned. Still, I don’t want to discourage anyone from experimenting and creating whatever set of tools makes you happy, helps you learn, and is part of the overall experience of lean, efficient software.

Thanks for all the work you’ve done. I’ve already saved a couple iterations of this tool and appreciate all of the work that has been done.

(beware of the feature creep, it can sneak up on anyone at any time)

Brian Masinick

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Brian, I agree. I am not working on adding any features at this point.

I got the notes to work, and its much simpler and easier to work than before.

I’m only waiting for other people to test the program and let me know if any problems are found. There are no known outstanding problems at this time.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

“Region to Capture” –} “Window”
    did not behave as expected. Expected: allow me to choose which program window.
    S’Okay, just consider labeling it “Foreground Window”

No, I really think this qualifies as a bug.
    When I click a window which is NOT currently top-of-stack,
    the screencap reflects the GEOMETRY of the clicked window, but it is partially obscured by the other windows in the stack.
    What’s missing is a “bring to front” operation prior to performing the capture.

“include mouse cursor in picture”
    This is ineffective when Full Screen has been selected.
    Suggestion:

if Window:
       [ ] include window border
       [ ] include mouse cursor in picture

name to save set to “screenshota.jpg
    [✓] choose a differenct directory (FWIW, I chose /tmp)
    result: popup stating “File extension $EXT was changed. Please try again.”
    ^—— I am unable to CONSISTENTLY reproduce this bug.
    Unsure which exact setting(s) triggers it.
    Am certain that I had not touched the “File Type” selectbox.

“add text entered below”
    ^— him needs to escape, or validate, the user-supplied string.
    As is, entering “hi mom” (with quotes) is inexplicably discarded and the generic “Screenshot” red text is overlaid instead. Same (discard) occurs if the string contains a backtick character or…

“add Date:Time to note text”
    ^—- naw. Show human-friendly localized formatting here, not underscore-separated n_umb_er_s

“Capture Quality”
    I have never (yet) touched the FileType nor CaptureQuality controls.
    Although the default “jpg” is selected, confusingly the CaptureQuality default is 80
    and text reads “something something for png files use 80 something”
    Hmm, maybe the text just begs clarification “for png files use ONLY 70, 80 or 90”

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Skidoo, Thanks for testing. I can tell you tested from a blank sheet of paper, which is good, because the program is old with many new features cobbled on. That had advantages that much of the translation was done, and that the basic functions already existed and worked acceptably to many. I did try to avoid changing things as much as possible in those areas of the code while still providing the improvements I and others needed, but there is some possibility of me breaking the original code, especially given the language involved not being one I’m a pro with.

“Region to Capture” –} “Window”
    did not behave as expected. Expected: allow me to choose which program window.
    S’Okay, just consider labeling it “Foreground Window”

No, I really think this qualifies as a bug.
    When I click a window which is NOT currently top-of-stack,
    the screencap reflects the GEOMETRY of the clicked window, but it is partially obscured by the other windows in the stack.
    What’s missing is a “bring to front” operation prior to performing the capture.

The way the window code works is determined by Scrot. The code used is the same as the existing antiX screenshot in that respect. I can’t fix that easily because the window selection is being done in scrot itself. The possible options we could take to improve it would be to
    1. Add a tooltip that tells the user they need to make sure the window is in full view before clicking Ok
    2. or Add a popup in window mode that tells the user they need to make sure the window they want is in full view before clicking Ok
    3. or Add a popup maybe with wmctrl to select the window that then brings it to front and in focus so scrot can then take a screenshot of the window in focus. This could be a future “to do”, as it would likely be a bunch more work.

“include mouse cursor in picture”
    This is ineffective when Full Screen has been selected.
    Suggestion:

if Window:
       [ ] include window border
       [ ] include mouse cursor in picture

I’m not sure if include mouse pointer will work in full screen or not. I can try it. If it doesn’t cause a crash I will include it.
    I could add an action to change the default mouse cursor to include it in window mode, but if someone wanted not to have it they would need to reselect the value each time. That violates my “I will save your settings” directive.
    I would rather let the user decide if they want the border or not because it doesn’t work right with it enabled with some desktop setups. (pointed out by ile)

name to save set to “screenshota.jpg
    [✓] choose a differenct directory (FWIW, I chose /tmp)
    result: popup stating “File extension $EXT was changed. Please try again.”
    ^—— I am unable to CONSISTENTLY reproduce this bug.
    Unsure which exact setting(s) triggers it.
    Am certain that I had not touched the “File Type” selectbox.

I really didn’t understand that code but left it the way it was. It looked like the intent was to popup a select so you could choose a different directory, but somehow it allows the user to select a file, and that file might have a different extension. I wonder why it cares? I don’t think it should allow you to change the file name or extension, just choose a directory, but that doesn’t seem to be the way it works.

“add text entered below”
    ^— him needs to escape, or validate, the user-supplied string.
    As is, entering “hi mom” (with quotes) is inexplicably discarded and the generic “Screenshot” red text is overlaid instead. Same (discard) occurs if the string contains a backtick character or…

If I knew all of the special characters that aren’t allowed, I could figure out how to filter them out. Another option would be to change the label to “Add text entered below (do not use special characters)”

“add Date:Time to note text”
    ^—- naw. Show human-friendly localized formatting here, not underscore-separated n_umb_er_s

Ok, I suppose. I will change it to your way. It was a toss-up. I decided to put the date on the pic in format similar to the naming of the file.

“Capture Quality”
    I have never (yet) touched the FileType nor CaptureQuality controls.
    Although the default “jpg” is selected, confusingly the CaptureQuality default is 80
    and text reads “something something for png files use 80 something”

Hmm, maybe the text just begs clarification “for png files use ONLY 70, 80 or 90”

I have never used it other than to test if it causes a crash. I will change it to use your wording. I have no knowledge on it.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by BobC.
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up

If anyone else would retest, I will try to make all corrections to those with skidoo’s, test those myself, and then post a fresh version, hopefully for a final retest.

If possible, please avoid asking for any new features or major code unless it is being asked for as a future request.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

If anyone else would retest, I will try to make all corrections to those with skidoo’s, test those myself, and then post a fresh version, hopefully for a final retest.

If possible, please avoid asking for any new features or major code unless it is being asked for as a future request.

I’d be glad to test when you make your changes. Thanks for your efforts, and thanks to skidoo for his skillful comments and feedback,

Brian Masinick

ile
    Helpful
    Up

Hello BobC
    The “Add Note…” frame of the 0620 Dialog;
    To agree with the commands
    the checkbox “Add text… below” may control the availability, visibility
    of the text entry box and of the “Add Date…” checkbox (?)

empty text You have it cancel add note (?) yet ” ” spaces text entry continue with append Date. (?)
    these things make it versatile and interesting.
    Try this input BobC= spaces ” ” in the text entry “Add text …below” of the “Add Note…”
    take that shot and when the Action menu returns choose the “Take another screenshot” button. OK.

Determine if only spaces in that Note textbox interfere with usual, normal AGAIN. (?)
    I have observed a difference in behavior. Getting Cursor instead of Dialog. when a Note of spaces ” ” is added.
    It “throws in the monkeywrench” somehow 8-|
    How do You express that BobC?

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

ile, if you just put a space in the note text it works fine. Maybe it didn’t before, I’m not sure. I did make changes to that area of the code suggested by skidoo above. You definitely can get it to put just the date and time in the note text if desired.

I also fixed all items note by skidoo. I removed the ability to change the filename as part of the change directory routine. That was causing problems. If you really want to change the name completely, just do it up front in the initial dialog box, or do a Save As in one of the programs to whatever you want it to be if you don’t want your default changed.

Here is the new code. Give it a try, please and see if any other problems are found.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 313 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.