Light weight screenshot and annotate combo

Forum Forums antiX-development Graphics Light weight screenshot and annotate combo

• This topic has 315 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Aug 23-5:44 pm by BobC.
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 315 total)
  • Author
    ile
    Helpful
    Up

Hello BobC
    The first thing checked on 0624 is the previous report about Note.
    0624 behavior is as described for 0620.
    Spaces in the add note and then selecting take another screenshot is a different behavior than entering text in the note box. [or any other options, ]
    The only time getting Cursor instead of Dialog for take another screenshot is when adding a Note of spaces ” ”

ile
    Helpful
    Up

” You definitely can get it to put just the date and time in the note text if desired.”, BobC.

Only if the Note add text checkbox is checkmarked And the text entry box is not blank, empty.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Hello BobC
    The first thing checked on 0624 is the previous report about Note.
    0624 behavior is as described for 0620.
    Spaces in the add note and then selecting take another screenshot is a different behavior than entering text in the note box. [or any other options, ]
    The only time getting Cursor instead of Dialog for take another screenshot is when adding a Note of spaces ” ”

I apologize, but I need to sleep and will re-read your comment and try to understand what is wrong and fix it tomorrow.

ile
    Helpful
    Up

Hello BobC
    partially discovered. it cures the going to Cursor instead of Dialog with “spaces” in text box, but
    it still has a problem with “Exit without Saving” and “Save and Exit” go to Dialog instead of exit. Without this change Exit without save goes to Cursor when note text is spaces only. So it has reaction to this change, but is not fully the cure, solution. line 67 of gtk dialog
    changed the <default> to the text [Screenshot] in place of the variable named $NOTETEXT for a test. And the behavior changed.

<entry>
    <variable>NOTETEXT</variable>
    <default>Screenshot</default>
    </entry>

Is it a clue? partially?

(spaces transferred to mtpaint seems to be blank(?) does it edit whitespace somewhere between? return to: <default> not allow blank (?) ) partially seems no help at all.

ile
    Helpful
    Up

Hello BobC and everyone
    File Type
    The “xpm” does not work in scrot.
    Type “pam” does work in scrot.
    File Type “tga” does work.

The “pam” file type thumb:
    scrot does -thumb of “pam.”

0624 mtpaint thumb mechanism of type “pam” is lacking.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I removed the xpm option.

There was no pam option, so nothing to remove. The help text says file types must work for scrot and mtpaint.

Thanks for finding the xpm problem. It might have worked at some point in the past, and was removed would be my guess.

I changed the code to work and add a note with just date if there is no text in the note text field. I tested it with both save and exit as well as exit without saving. If date is selected the month abbreviation should be in the language the system is set for.

ile
    Helpful
    Up

o624a
    Add Note when spaces text, it now goes to Dialog from Action “Take another screenshot.” congratulations.
    Add Note when spaces text, it now goes to Dialog from Action “Save and Exit” and with “Exit without saving.”

print Note Date requires “Text to add” checkbox true.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

If I read that right, it sounds like there is a problem.

If true, please make a screen recording.

1. I would suggest deleting the 3 configuration files first (from ~/.config).
    2. Run the program from a terminal, and say what you are doing so I can see and hear what you did, as well as see what it did. I can do the same things you do and be able to duplicate the problem.

On mine, when I do “Save and Exit” or “Exit without saving” with the current code it does exit, but maybe there is something I did differently.

PS: Thanks for helping me test. One set of eyes doesn’t always find the problems.
    PSS: Tried with 17.4.1 Full. Brought it up to date first. Version of MTPaint is too old, 3.40, needs to be 3.50.07 or higher for MTPaint special functionality to work.
    Tested on 19.4.1 full fresh USB. Installed and worked fine.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by BobC.
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I’ve been using the program without any major problems, but did find that having the work file name on the action dialog caused frustration, because it wouldn’t be there once save. In addition, the field wasn’t selectable to copy. So replaced the field with the file name that would be used if saved, or saved file name if already saved, and made it a field that could be selected and copied with the mouse or keyboard, so I could paste it into a document if I wanted to.

I also changed it to use zzzFM and fall back to using SpaceFM if that wasn’t available when opening the folder in a new file manager window, and if neither give an error.

There are no known problems at this point.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I’ve been using the program the past couple weeks and didn’t have any major issues. I did find it frustrating that I have no way to select and copy the file name to paste into a document, and found that the fancy naming using date/time with seconds if needed complicated the situation, so changed it to always use date/time with seconds, thus simplifying the file naming, and making it easy to display what it would be before it was saved so that I could copy the value.

I also changed it to use zzzFM and SpaceFM as a fallback in case zzzFM wasn’t installed.

There are no known problems. I’m quite happy with how it works. It is very efficient for taking screenshots, tweaking and annotating them, and then saving and feeding them to the programs or places typically requested. The help screen is up to date, and all text fields are setup for translation, but the translation itself needs to be done.

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

I tried running this on Arch. And I know it is not meant for Arch. Linux archlabs 5.12.15-zen1-1-zen #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Wed, 07 Jul 2021 23:35:33 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Waiting for a NVMe PCIe drive to come just having fun till then, If you not interested in testing this on other systems just let me know.. Will keep testing zzzfm

mtpaint –version
    mtPaint 3.50.05

Enhanced antixscreenshot.sh alpha2 version

Ran ./antixscreenshot-INSTALL-a2.SH

$./antixscreenshot.sh
    Now: 13-Jul-2021:14:03
    ./antixscreenshot.sh: line 640: gtkdialog: command not found
    EXIT:

I noted the installer dumped antixscreenshot-ACTION.conf , antixscreenshot-DIALOG.conf , antixscreenshot-mtpaint.conf , antixscreenshot-SAVEDIR.conf inside ~/.config I would have like to see them inside there own folder just to keep it tidy. ~/.config/antixscreenshot/

Hope this helps in someway. Thanks

anitX 19.4 - Core 5.10.57-antix.1-amd64-smp
    Asus B450-I , Ryzen 5 3600 , RX5600XT , 32gb 3200 , WD Black 500GB M.2 NVMe ..

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Koo, screenshot-antix depends on gtkdialog, yad, and scrot, currently, in addition to feh which my version doesn’t use.

My enhanced version also requires mtpaint version 3.50.07+. The IMGUR upload also requires curl as well as one of the listed clipboard programs. All of those are standard on antiX.

Without 3.50.07+ of mtpaint the script won’t work right because it uses the new features the mtpaint Devs added in that version that allowed me to automate things like the adding text, resizing, making a thumb, and changing the setup to make annotations look good with minimal effort. I would think all of those would be available for Arch, or could be compiled if not. I don’t currently have any up to date Arch based distros installed to test with.

The separate folder is probably a good suggestion, but I’ll leave it to anticapitalista if he wants me to change it, since I’ve already sent him the code. Its not a difficult change, but is even less tidy if both sets of files end up left out there.

Thanks for checking it out…

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for replying BobC

I’ll wait for mtpaint 3.50.07+ to be officially released

No need it works just fine now as the error is saying there was no gtkdiaglog install on my system & still using mtPaint 3.50.05.
    Only thing I had to change was making it float mode in my i3 config.
    for_window [instance=”gtkdialog”] floating enable

uname -a
    Linux archlabs-sway 5.12.15-zen1-1-zen #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Wed, 07 Jul 2021 23:35:33 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    ┏>>> {Wed Jul 14 01:23 PM}
    ┗>>> koo@archlabs-sway ~ 8 files = 68K ~/.scripts/antixscreenshot-20210711a $ ./antixscreenshot.sh
    Now: 14-Jul-2021:13:23
    EXIT: OK
    Creating Workfile: /home/koo/.cache/antixscreenshot/screenshot-BobC-1-2021Jul14_132344.jpg
    window or cursor select
    scrot -s -q 80 "/home/koo/.cache/antixscreenshot/screenshot-BobC-1-2021Jul14_132344.jpg"
    Workfile created: /home/koo/.cache/antixscreenshot/screenshot-BobC-1-2021Jul14_132344.jpg

I’m just trying to get people hard work out there so it is more popular and attracts more users.

Thanks

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Koo.
    • This reply was modified 3 months ago by Koo.

anitX 19.4 - Core 5.10.57-antix.1-amd64-smp
    Asus B450-I , Ryzen 5 3600 , RX5600XT , 32gb 3200 , WD Black 500GB M.2 NVMe ..

ile
    Helpful
    Up

Hello BobC and Everyone
    How are you doing?

scrot version 1.6-1
    trial on antiX. We have a winner.
    The issues with scrot option -b in antiX
    Are some surprising outcome.
    jwm Alone: No issue
    jwm No issue, when+ space and rox both have No issue. None
    icewm Alone: No issue
    icewm No issue, when+ space and rox both Yes issues
    fluxbox Alone: Yes issue
    fluxbox Yes issue, when+ space and rox both Yes issues
    trial on debian
    fluxbox Yes issues

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

All, as far as including this in the distro, it was rejected due to it being too bloated, with too many features that few would use, I think was the overall view.

I created a slimmed down version with about half as many options, which I have been using myself, but I never zipped it or uploaded it. If I was going to do that, I would want to get the program its own Imgur API key to reduce the chances of errors on the uploads. Other than that no known problems.

Anticapitalista wanted to leave the simpler screenshot utility in the distro, and offered to make a separate package of this enhanced antiX screenshot utility, and if people want that (either the bloated version or slimmed), I wouldn’t mind helping, but for me, it works just fine as it is, and I’m happy with it, and not looking to make a life’s work of it.

Ile, If I understand correctly, you are trying it with a newer scrot version, and having “issues” when running different antiX desktop permutations?

You said it has issues with icewm… “icewm No issue, when+ space and rox both Yes issues.” I will try to fix it if you can show me what its doing wrong so I can duplicate the issues and then debug them if possible?

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 315 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.