Lilidog Buster

Forum Forums General Other Distros Lilidog Buster

• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jan 12-8:39 pm by sleekmason.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sleekmason

Not sure if this is the right spot or not. Move or delete if need be.

I have created a Debian Stable distro using Live-build Here:
    https://github.com/sleekmason/Lilidog-Buster

Note that there is no ISO to download from here. You must build your own!

Lilidog is a dark themed distro build based on LXDE with either Openbox
    or Fluxbox as the window manager. Toggle freely between the two when in the default session. (well, sort of:)
    Either can be accessed separately through the Lightdm login screen, but no toggling in this case.

Pretty much, Debian. With some of the hard parts done, and some cool stuff along the way.
    Everything is easily accessible, with numerous options to customize.

Now, the reason I posted here is because there are also instructions that will get you started building your own distro with live-build if you so choose:)

https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live-manual/html/live-manual/index.en.html

There is also an unstable version for newer hardware.

Lilidog runs around 280MB idle Live. Less Installed.

Hope somebody finds something interesting here:)

• This topic was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: Move to Other Distros
    • This topic was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick.
    manyroads
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

People here will probably want to know if it’s based on antiX or at the very least minus systemd.

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    dwm ~Reg. Linux User #449130
    20 Jan 2021 ~ "End of an Error"

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I checked it out (just looked over the files), and I can see you have spent a lot of time and there was a lot of work involved to get it to run well. Well done.

The things I miss are:
    – all the antiX tools (including the desktop-session scripts)
    – Missing the incredible antiX live system
    – The antiX repo
    I also see no option to set it up without systemd, but that is up to preferences, so nothing to criticize there.

If you are happy with your distro, then that is great. If at some point in time you want to try and set it up with all the antiX options (not sure if you use or need them), you can start with the build-iso (https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/Build-iso) project and create a new option there to build an antiX based ISO with all your options and features. I recently did this to create a build with older xorg versions, and it is similar (this is speculation based on the files I see on your git project) to what you have done, but building the ISO works (if you have all the correct files) and the result works very similar to antiX. You just need to use the boot folder form iso-snapshot and the initgz form the other antiX repo, change a few files and create a custom configuration file with the options you want, move files to the chroot folder, as you have in your project in the includes.chroot, and launch the build-iso script, which checks each step to see if everything is working and reports any errors there.
    It is true that the “respin” I created isn’t much different from the original antiX iso, but it really helped me learn how some things work on the antiX system and, if at some point in time I need a good “re-spin”, I don’t need to use the snapshot tool and instead build from the ground up as you did.

BTW, can a moderator move this to “Other Distros” section in the forum? It makes more sense there.
    Thanks, Brian Masinick.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Xecure. Reason: My thanks
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Moved to Other Distros as requested.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

I had to look. Was wondering if the tools were like the old days of SlaX and another small one man built distro and site where left click on web page built your iso. One button for kernel. One button drivers And firmware. Another for login manager, etc ………

It built you a read only live system you could install on pendrive or cds. If wanting to keep it. One could use inside of Windows like a save file. Been years since I played with this stuff. So memory is hazy.

Only thing I remember. Both live distro makers back then were Slackware based. Times have changed since then.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

As I remember them, at least the ‘base version’ of those older small live systems were very small, very simple but typically not permanent or extensible.

That has very likely changed but my memory is the same as Roki; the Slackware based images were available for removable media and minimal content retrieval.

Brian Masinick

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

@sleekmason, does this 0050-disable-sysvinit-tmpfs.hook.chroot indicate the debian live build script does still support sysV init?

> memory is hazy

roky, the description in your post sounds like the (now unavailable) live build feature on the porteus.org website.

kernel: A or B
    browser: A or B or None
    LOffice: Y or N
    …along with a few choices like “autologin (or not)”

Considering that an ISO containing your configured choices was (every time I tested) immediately available for download, I reasoned that they had prebuilt an ISO matching each permutation of the choices (xx1.iso, xx2.iso, … xx24.iso) and had the webserver apply generic xx.iso filename during each download.

sleekmason
    Helpful
    Up

Howdy all,

@manyroads, No, not antiX based, nor Bunsenlabs, though there are a couple of helper programs from bl, and a couple of groovy things like hotcorners I took from Crunchbang.

The premise of this build was to see how simple it could be built while still allowing for all the bells and whistles you can use. I didn’t follow anyone else’s work “as is”. <– well, much anyway.
    I very carefully tried to do everything from scratch, meaning, install an item bare, and work it up from there. It still follows an obvious path for the build. (panel on bottom, Conky, Compton etc . .),
    and most items we use are set up the way they are because that’s the best way they work, and so, no huge revelations there.

Basically, the concept was that all scripts would be in /usr/local/bin or $HOME, with no paths other than those set through Debian. I’ve mostly kept to this, and everything should be found where you expect to find it.

Yes, it is with systemd:) It seems inevitable. That said, Lilidog runs quite well.

@rokytnji, The build system is the official build system from Debian, and is the exact same as what they use.(er, . . I think.) I was able to set up the installer for access to the “expert installer”, which basically allows for full control over your installation.

What’s cool about all of this, is that you can follow the instructions near the end to set up your own build however you like. Recommend starting reeaal simple and working up from there.

Using meta-packages, you can have a running system with just a couple of commands. Customization however takes bunches of time. Isn’t that the fun part?

@Xecure, Thank you for noticing:) Yes, I’ve tried to make this as stable and sane as possible.
    I would/will love to check out everything you are talking about. Sound good. I am just now at the point where I feel I can start adding things in from other avenues. As a base, it should work really well for any tweaks others want to apply. It should be however, fully usable and comfortable as is.

@skidoo I believe so! I haven’t dived into anything else concerning the installer after I was able to get a decent initial setup:)
    Would love to see it though. Seems like there was something particular to this in the manual,

edit* Not that I could find right off, and grep in man live-build shows nothing either.

But, https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Installing_without_systemd

Looks like this line might do some/all of the work with a few tweaks to the system? Also, says it leaves bits of systemd behind. I have little to no knowledge here. Oh, and it is old.

preseed/late_command="in-target apt-get install -y sysvinit-core"

Would love to see a recipe for a non systemd build! Just getting rid of the “recommends” was huge. One of the builds is sort of a fluxbox base with just a terminal and file manager (basically), and if you remove the extra firmware, it comes in at just under 700MB. 798MB with all the firmware included.

@Brian Masinick, Thank you:)

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by sleekmason.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.