Limiting writes to SSD on EEEPC

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Limiting writes to SSD on EEEPC

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Nov 6-6:21 pm by rokytnji.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji

One of mine

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
      I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
      Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
      How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Anonymous

Hello, Rokytnji.
        This may show what I don’t know, but here goes:

Suppose you operate as a LiveUSB or as a LiveDVD with persistence,
        and except for sessions where you want to make some changes,
        you always defer any persistence update at shutdown.
        Also assuming you don’t operate contiuously, but shutdown after short sessions.
        and boot-up with either unchanging material in squash files or relatively
        unchanging persistence files.

Doesn’t this say you would then mostly be operating on unchanging initial data,
        and that current, temporary changes only occur in ram, except when you want to
        change persistence slightly with new stuff?

Forum Admin
        BitJam

@utu, you are correct. The live system with dynamic root persistence set to semi-automatic or manual updates will tend to be the best way to reduce writes. OTOH, doing a remaster will require a lot of writing since the entire linuxfs file will get re-created.

The post in the pdf is from 2010. This probably predates the antiX/MX live system in its current incarnation.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

Forum Admin
          rokytnji

+ 1 with Bitjam. My tutorial just covers full internal ssd installs on eeepcs. Something I thought of up on my own and made the tutorial on my own time. You or anyone else are welcome to write up running a eeepc off a class 10 SD card with the setup you are mentioning. Or a USB 2 drive. No usb type 3 ports on older eeepc netbooks. . I sold mine. So I cannot run tests on those anymore.

Times have changed. But the tutorial still applies and works today for users with phison ssd drives. Which are weak and cheap stock drives. Instead of 100 dollar pci IDE drives you can buy with faster read and write speeds. A lot of eeepc users screw up buying replacement ssd drives. When they buy the sata drive or msata. A lot of the older eeepcs bios won’t recognize that type of drive. Basically they are incompatible and there is no bios update to make them compatible.

How do I know this? I was a mod at eeepc forums also when it was active. I brought a bunch of eeepc users over with me > from my tutorials for AntiX there.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
            I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
            Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
            How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.