linux mx compared to antix

Forum Forums General Other Distros linux mx compared to antix

• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Mar 3-11:56 pm by Murdock2525.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    errol

I installed Linux MX. Could not regtister on their forum so I ended up on the antix forum. What is the difference between the two distros?
    How can I get onto the MX forum? I keep getting a message that I am a bot or spam.
    TIA
    Errol

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Hi errol, you say
    I keep getting a message that I am a bot or spam.

Have you tried different browsers, ?. Reason could also be that the exit point from your IP is like mine
    a knot bundled for many thousands of users, if some spam the IP gets blocked.
    One way around that is to use TOR Browser. You will though get the recaptcha, I am not a robot to drive you nuts.
    There is also no clear way to contact admins without the same google recaptcha crap.

If you do not have perfect eyesight and a lot of patience it seems you are an outcast on that site. Like me,
    I am sick and fed up of training google ki engines.

Differences, antix has no systemD, in MX you can activate it at boot. The MX distro has desktop environments,
    antiX window managers. Less features lighter weight but still very configureable efficient and can be made a
    users version of good looking too.
    Setting up antiX is somewhat different, more raw but helper tools and a good forum make that less of an obstacle.

Both are good, i prefer the speed and efficiency of antiX over funky desktops. Which is why I am here and a
    convinced user and supporter.

errol
    Helpful
    Up

Thaqnks Moddit.
    I will take your advice and move to anyiX. I am getting upset with MX becfause the reason I needed the forum is to ask a very specific question about a serious problem I am having. As I cannot ask the forum and try to solve the problem, I will move to antiX. I was a Kubuntu user and MX KDE looked like a good thing.
    Thanks for your important info. Will let you know whY Hppens.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Have you tried to contact them?

https://forum.mxlinux.org/app.php/contactadmin

Or post on their facebook page?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/665300826967101

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

@anticapitalista,

https://forum.mxlinux.org/app.php/contactadmin brings up the contact form with Google i am not a robot Recaptcha.
    I checked before my previous post and wrote
    There is also no clear way to contact admins without the same google recaptcha crap.

OT but dirty company Facebook is for many an absolute no go.

That organisation stole contacts from millions of users and uploaded them to usa without them even using their app.
    The Facebook API is still hidden and active in many android applications available from playstore. Excuse, forgotten.
    All that profiling data surely Picked up by 5 eyes and NSA with glee on the way, likely the reason for the whole action.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

What is the difference between the two distros?

Getting back to your original question rather than problems accessing MX Forum, here is my quick take:
    – MX provides a full DE, primarily XFCE and now KDE. So if you came from KDE you might feel at home. In comparison antiX is based on efficient WMs.
    – The downside for me is that the memory use of MX is way too wasteful for my taste, most likely due to being hostage to inefficient DEs and their programmers blindly following Windows in bloat, rather than efficient code. However if you came from KDE DE and you liked it then this criteria may not be important to you…
    Just my MHO…
    Regards…

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by olsztyn.
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I agree with olsztyn.

I am a fan of both antiX and MX Linux and I have multiple instances of both of them installed on disk and also on USB.

Though my systems are not new by any means they do have sufficient space, both on disk and ample memory to run any of the variations well.

If you are severely constrained by your system then antiX will definitely be easier on the resources, otherwise both are very solid distributions but they do cater to distinct use cases since antiX is based on the use of window manager software and MX Linux uses XFCE or KDE, though a Fluxbox configuration was recently added too. I haven’t checked on the extent to which this change eases memory usage; it should conserve memory as long as neither desktop environment is loaded alongside Fluxbox, so if you want to try MX Linux with Fluxbox it may be something that you can use.

Brian Masinick

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Surely this mustbeaFAQ question has been asked/answered, eh?
    “Mx vs antiX”
    advanced search function on MX forum discards search term words shorter than 3 characters
    try again
    mx compared to antiX”
    mx antix difference”
    topic: [SOLVED] Difference between antiX and MX (3 pages long)

errol
    Helpful
    Up

First of all I want to thank all who responded to my questions about AntiX. After reading about and trying AntiX I decided to go back and retry MX because I prefer KDE. I don’t have a problem with computer resources as my computer is new enough and strong enough not to NEED AntiX. I am going to retry to get onto their forum. I also hope that the major problem I had won’t prevent me using MX nd force me to ind another distro (maybe go back to Kubuntu).
    The problem I had wile using MX that I needed help for was that after a few hours of being on MX would freeze on my computer. The mouse moved but no click would operate anything. Neither did the keyboard work. The ONLY way to get out of the situation was a forced restart using the computer buttons. Very frustrating and for that I need the forum or I will cease using MX.
    Thanks again to all here who helped.

Murdock2525
    Helpful
    Up

MX is for guys who wear socks and own innersoles. We prefer barefoot. AntiX and Crocs. MX and Vasque GTX boots with Dewalt sox

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Computers love antix like junkys speed :-).
    My use now box is Quad core I5 plenty of memory 2 SSD and 1tb rotating archive drive, NVidia graphics
    and feels so slow and tired wasting performance with anything heavier than antiX.
    My contrast program is an ancient netbook which struggles with most any other distro.
    antix does take some energy to setup nice but my no1 choice for all tasks.

Use what you like, I tried most every desktop on the planet and some from beyond, now stick with Icewm and
    occasionally fluxbox. Prefer sandals.

Murdock2525
    Helpful
    Up

FarceBook ? Damn Kaptalists ! 😉

Attachments:
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.