linux p2p decentralized messaging +”open source”

Forum Forums General Software linux p2p decentralized messaging +”open source”

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Apr 13-5:42 pm by PPC.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

from a websearch query matching the title of this forum topic:

March 2020 https://opensource.com/alternatives/skype
    short article, it mentions Jitzi, Wire, Jami, Riot, Signal, Linphone, NextCloud

https://jami.net/ -=- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jami_(software)
    rapidly evolving, 900+ bug tickets currently open
    and (so) we should expect the “as packaged by debian” versions to be perpetually out-of-date

The results of a followon websearch: “linux jami alternative|alternatives”
    highlights my wonderment ~~ the lines in this “software category” are quite blurred
    “meeting tools”,
    “video conferencing”,
    “team communication”,
    “group chat”

another (Jan 20210) roundup article
    https://itsfoss.com/mainstream-social-media-alternaives/
    notably, the title (er, URL slug) is “mainstream-social-media-alternaives”
    yet the in-page bolded title is
    “9 Decentralized, P2P and Open Source Alternatives to Mainstream Social Media Platforms Like Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Reddit”

https://itsfoss.com/movim/ (an f-droid client is also available for movim)
    https://itsfoss.com/mastodon-open-source-alternative-twitter/ Mastodon

This page (a loooong read) https://www.ma-no.org/en/networking/a-collection-of-interesting-networks-and-technology-aiming-at-re-decentralizing-the-internet
    presents a rather comprehensive list of the available (inter)related software along with a synopsis of the featureset for each of the listed items.

@Robin, what set in-app “features” are you interested in?

Personally, I’m unconvinced that I would find favor with any “serverless” framework.
    This ol’ dog began “learning from experience” back in the days of telnet and ~/.plan files
    and dialup BBSes… and, in recent years, my investigation of various “new, shiny” proposed decentralized alternatives has reinforced the observation that behavior of participants within uncensored, reputation-less, systems is predicatably not “decent”. Instead, the system winds up clogged with content amounting to “scrawled drawings of penises and boobs”.

The cross-platform “mumble / murmur” client+server p2p encrypted voicechat + typechat + file xfer
    has been available for decades now… but I don’t recall that it extends to the Android/iPhone “platforms”.

“Worlds Chat”, circa 1996 (later, “worlds.com”) provided SecondLife -ish walkaround chat avatars, and MineCraft -like buildable environments. Oh, and BTW… if someone “annoyed” you, you could “accidentally” bump your avatar into theirs ~~ knocking them off the balcony (or wherever) and into the abyss, causing their in-game coordinates to go out of range. Click, the server would disconnect their client (and the client login//bootstrap took several minutes, so sometimes they wouldn’t bother to reconnect). Bullies, and cliques, and thugs… oh my!

-=-

For this topic, I’ll suggest that when researching potential “apps” or “frameworks”
    we scratchout “messaging” and insert “groupware”.

NextCloud nextcloud.com ~ https://www.youtube.com/c/Nextcloud/videos seems to be a strong contender. Looking ahead, I expect the viability, the adoption, of “NextBox” (due to the range and selection of its installable components) far exceed that of the languishing-across-years “freedomBox” project https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreedomBox

I use wire, the call quality is very good, trust, not really, wire still calls itself swiss, HQ moved to US a while
    back so apart from looking back in history regarding Switzerland and surveillance they are subject to patriot act.

Wire also demands a phone number. Good is it does not use play store for notifications so works on my phone.

Many messengers are touted as secure and private but constantly connected to brother googli.

skidoo wrote of serverless:
    Instead, the system winds up clogged with content amounting to “scrawled drawings of penises and boobs”.

That is pretty harmless compared to the Faschist Race Hate, ISS shit and other crap touted along with many associated brainless
    conspiracy theories. Anonymity draws the vilest creatures on this planet like flies to shit.

@Robin, what set in-app “features” are you interested in?

Personally, I’m unconvinced that I would find favor with any “serverless” framework.

In the interim, pending reply from the topic originator on requirements I would like to agree with skidoo that complete anonymity exposes such service to a potential of unethical abuse by some rogue users. However IMHO I do not see where the notion ‘decentralized’ and ‘distributed’ technology entail the requirement of being ‘anonymous’, although specific designs may often go in tandem. I think the right solution is not necessarily to be anonymous, but rather to be independent from oppressive powers and that most likely means serverless.
    Just to clarify these points:
    – Recent history shows that legitimate freedom of speech is being suppressed by those companies which are in control of such speech communication, if they are siding with opposite political factions. Even the entire services are being shut down if represent political views not to their liking, such as the case of Parler.
    – Centralized, server based communication services are easy to shut down or content can be controlled and selectively manipulated by companies in control of such services.
    – Decentralized, distributed service would apparently resolve the above issues of suppression of freedom of political speech.
    – Anonymity is not the point here and not the requirement. On the contrary, the politically oppressed views should not be anonymous in the first place. Freedom of speech does not mean anonymous and on the contrary everyone expressing political views should have the courage to identify himself and stand for his cause. It is not anonymity that is a requirement, on the contrary. It is the requirement of being able to express and communicate political views, not being suppressed by oppressive powers being in control of communication. I think this is an important distinction to counter the current situation that starts to resemble some past regimes where all media were in control of the ruling party. Just as a great statesman said ‘There is no such thing as public opinion. There is only published opinion.’…
    Just my two cents…
    Thanks for such interesting topic.

what set in-app “features” are you interested in?

In addition to what olsztyn has already said before (which meets exactly what I would have stated also), let me sum up my intention simply to the following: When using snailmail (I’m aware, most people of today wouldn’t even know what kind of thing that might have had been once…), well, the days when its use was considered to be a standard way of personal communication and exchanging pieces of information between people, there was existing something like constitutionally guaranteed right of privacy on transport of these so called letters. I still remember the days these letters were handwritten. Nobody on transportation was ever permitted to look inside a letter, by no means, on pain of penalties. For real letters this guaranteed right does exist even today, and nobody asks for whether some people do misuse it for criminal activities; to cope with these we have exceptions for law enforcement agencies, protected by requirement of judicial decree in case it is proven to be necessary to infringe this constitutional right of privacy in a particular case to trace a proven offender. This kind of privacy is what I’m looking for in personal digital exchange. But it seems to have vanished nowadays in modern communcation methods completely.
    Well, writing letters was not so handy as what the modern way of communication provides, which means when exchanging letters between a group of friends all of them living in different towns, you had to repeat the content for each of them in a separate letter. Luckily this was overcome by modern messengers via internet, making it possible to write to them in a way all of them can read it simultaneously, and moreover the distance shrinks since the messages are delivered in no time. Fine. But what cost do we have to pay for this achievement? Private enterprises do ransack every single word for their personal profit. There is no talking of the requirement of judicial decree before all kinds and flavours of modern descendants of the good old letter are searched, and all this happens not only in a particular proven case of law infringement but as the new standard way of treatment of people.

Even if government has granted the right to do so to the enterprises of mass communication some years ago, I regard this way of handling as abuse. And I’m not willing any longer to accept it. And since it is unlikely the enterprises will ever abstain unconstrained from their way of conduct, I’m looking for some reliable alternatives to make them stop, at least in concern of my personal communication. Simply just like they were never ever to poke their nose into real letters.

Robin

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Robin.

Decentralized, distributed service would apparently resolve the above issues of suppression of freedom of political speech.
    [..]
    Anonymity is not the point here and not the requirement.

olsztyn, I personally do not have any ‘requirements’. I just started this topic to facilitate further discussion.

[This kind of] privacy is what I’m looking for in personal digital exchange.
    [..]
    letters between a group of friends
    [..]
    simultaneously

Okay, hearing these details is helpful
    (skidoo is making notes, toward narrowing the field of search for candidate frameworks//applications…)

@Skidoo- great topic

@Robin- that’s exactly I’m searching for in an app- as much privacy as a snail mail message / voice call using a land line – only people authorised to do so by a court of law can access those kinds of communications (or they are committing a crime).

For me, ideally that would mean an application that also allows video-chat (I need that to keep in touch with a dear one).

I found, when I began looking for such apps (for my android device) several text messengers, on of which did not require any kind of registration (I don’t recall it’s name, but I think it had full encryption of all messages- but sadly did not work for video). it was some months ago, I don’t even recall if it was opensource, but I think so…
    Probably it was the “session”(https://getsession.org/), covered, in depth here: https://itsfoss.com/session-messenger/

From their site:
    “Conversations in Session are end-to-end encrypted, just as in most private messengers. However, when you use Session, the identities of the people communicating are also protected. Session keeps your communication private, secure, and anonymous.

When using Session, your messages are sent to their destinations through a decentralised onion routing network similar to Tor (with a few key differences), using a system we call onion requests. Onion requests protect user privacy by ensuring that no single server ever knows a message’s origin and destination. For more on this, check out What is an onion routing network? below. For more technical details, read our blog on onion requests.

Session’s code is open-source and can be independently audited at any time. Session is a project of the Oxen Privacy Tech Foundation, a not-for-profit organisation whose mission is to provide the world with better access to digital privacy technologies.”

P.

[duplicated post, removed]

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by PPC.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.