Linux passes 11% of Desktop user share in the USA?

Forum Forums General Software Linux passes 11% of Desktop user share in the USA?

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated May 15-5:12 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    PPC

http://techrights.org/n/2024/05/11/GNU_Linux_Reaches_11_Market_Share_in_the_United_States_Of_Ameri.shtml

The values are a bit of a mess- almost two thirds of Linux desktop users are on a closed source comercial Linux distro, ChromeOS, but hey, it’s more “Linux” than “Android” and usually we say Linux rules the mobile world because of Android… So, there you go. It’s still better to have a cropped and mangled Linux distro running than a fully closed source OS… right?
      Also I think the sum of “open source” Linux distros + ChromeOS does not reach 11%, so probably that article assumes that some users of unknown systems are using Linux (I’ve always assumed that myself).

P.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by PPC.
      Forum Admin
      rokytnji

I just take it as it comes. Will see in the next decade on what changes next.

I hardly boot up the chromebook the wife bought me 2 Christmas’s ago.

Might start using it in the new pickup truck where the radio says hook up bluetooth devices.
        My antiX chromebook fit’s the bill so well for this though.
        No pressure here.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

anti-apXos

I only used ChromeOS on my Chromebook for about a month before wiping it off the system completely, but to me it felt about as far removed from Linux as an OS can get. There’s pretty much zero possibility for customizing or controlling your system with ChromeOS. I don’t care what kind of kernel it runs, I could never call something like that “Linux.”

I feel pretty much the same about Android, but at least some phones can be rooted and then they provide a decent experience.

Brian Masinick

@rokytnji said: “I just take it as it comes.”

Me too.

@PPC said: “The values are a bit of a mess”

That’s an understatement.

Frankly I don’t care what the “numbers” are, what I care about is functionality.

Here’s my take on functionality: for rapid access to Email and news or shopping, Chrome OS is fine.
            For mobile access, I’ll take Android phones over anything else, and I have my favorite provider, too.
            No matter where I’ve gone in the continental USA this vendor provides uniform access with very few
            “dead spots”.

You all know that I have loved using Linux for decades (going back to 1995) and I was closely tracking it for 3-4 years before that, just aching to be able to get a computer at a reasonable price so that I could try it out.
            Back then many computers, even desktops, were $5000 or more; those that were less than that were not worth the money in my opinion; in 1995 I found a few good models in the $2500-$3000 range and jumped on them. I had been checking into reading too, and bought a book specifically devoted to help me; as a result my very first attempt to install was a success – that was a big deal because in those days there WERE NO easy to install systems; those started to come out around 1998.

We managed to deep six all Windows based stuff here; what made that easy was Chrome OS because Google Docs is free and it’s also easy. Yes, of course LibreOffice can do more; you don’t have to give me a sell on any of it, and you also know that antiX is STILL my #1 favorite; but whether it’s Windows, iOS, Chrome OS, Android or some other system, I also maintain this stance: individual choice is good; can you imagine Joe or Jane Average handling ANY of the other stuff? To me, for computers, Chrome OS is the easiest game in town for people who punch buttons; for people who have to use computers at work, they are used to using Windows; why BOTHER them? Let them use what they wish.

I am DEFINITELY NOT an Apple fan, especially for SENIOR citizens! Over and over, I see people having problems using the “supposedly easy” Mac whether on an iPhone or an iMac. My experience says otherwise. Where I live, unless someone has used them for decades, Macs are a complete disaster. Give ’em something with a couple of buttons. Those AARP magazines advertise these phones with huge buttons and only a couple of things to select; that is what at least half of the senior population ought to consider; those who actually have lived a life using computers; well that’s different. STILL, though I’ve never been a fan of them, I will say that a good Apple device has superb screen resolution; if you want to spend $2000 on a good system, they are really powerful (just overpriced for what you get in my biased opinion). Nevertheless, there are those who swear by them and to them I say, “Absolutely; use what you love”, so despite my own bias, no matter what the system, free, proprietary, inexpensive, expensive, vendor A, vendor M, whatever, everyone deserves the right to choose and use what they want, no matter what any of us personally prefer; now THAT to me is REAL freedom – the freedom of choice!

--
            Brian Masinick

PPC

I’ve been using Linux probably since it had less than 1% of desktop market share, so I don’t really care about those values, except for one thing – there’s more probability of software or services being available or working on systems with higher market share. Lets assume someone develops the best Office suite ever and makes it available for Windows. If Linux has a relatively big market share (for example higher than MacOS) then there are more changes of that Office Suite having a native version of Linux- and that can be really, really good, in case I need that particular Office Suite for my work. The same applies to video software, image edition software, etc… How many people have I seen on-line, saying that they “don’t use Linux because it does not run Ms Office or Adobe Photoshop”? I may know my way around LibreOffice and Gimp, but they are not Ms Office nor Photoshop, they are different, in some ways better, in some ways worse.
              Taking in account the way Major OSes are getting sh*tified (yes, that a real word, Corey Doctorow has some brilliant pieces explaining how web services- and OSes – are getting terrible, because they think they already locked in all the users that then can, so they can get away with exploiting those users any way they want and treating them like crap) maybe having Linux as a real alternative does everyone good, even non Linux users!

P.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by PPC.
              vitforlinux

I believe that due to the “pre-installed computer” policy, many cannot imagine that hardware and software are separate things, and therefore they cannot imagine the possibility of starting a computer from scratch with something other than Windows… and so they buy a ChromeBook.

However, I’m happy that ChromeOS and Android are finally part of the “Linux” number… maybe one day someone will realize that you can have Linux without having Google.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by vitforlinux.

Sorry for my spaghetti english, i'm italian.

Brian Masinick

@PPC Regarding commercial software that is available for commercial systems and not for freely available systems, that is a significant area of difference between the two of us. I used engineering based systems for most of my life and it was primarily when I became a contractor that I had to use whatever was available.

It’s possible to get a well running commercial system but I prefer engineering systems and free software because that’s what my favorite work used.

Name brand major apps never interested me, other than to understand them. After trying a few I had enough. My phone has enough commercial hardware and software to satisfy any “urges” in that direction. It’s small and fast. It’s a little more flexible than some of them but it satisfies any desire to use commercial goods and services.

--
                  Brian Masinick

j0ta

Windows 10 Sends Your Data 5500 Times Every Day Even After Tweaking Privacy Settings
                    that was the breaking point for me

โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฑโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡งโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ทโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡งโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ดโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ดโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡นโ€‹ โ€‹๐Ÿ‡บโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ธโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ทโ€‹
                    โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฆโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ณโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡นโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฝโ€‹ โ€‹ ๐Ÿ‡บโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ธโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ทโ€‹
                    โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฑโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡งโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ทโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ผโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ดโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฑโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ซโ€‹ โ€‹๐Ÿ‡บโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ธโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ทโ€‹
                    โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ณโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ดโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ธโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡พโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ธโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡นโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฒโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฉโ€‹ โ€‹๐Ÿ‡บโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ธโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹โ€‹๐Ÿ‡ทโ€‹

PPC

Windows 10 Sends Your Data 5500 Times Every Day Even After Tweaking Privacy Settings
                      that was the breaking point for me

That’s one good example of what I meant when I said:

Major OSes are getting sh*tified (yes, that a real word, Corey Doctorow has some brilliant pieces explaining how web services- and OSes โ€“ are getting terrible, because they think they already locked in all the users that then can, so they can get away with exploiting those users any way they want and treating them like crap)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by PPC.
                      Brian Masinick

I believe that due to the โ€œpre-installed computerโ€ policy, many cannot imagine that hardware and software are separate things, and therefore they cannot imagine the possibility of starting a computer from scratch with something other than Windowsโ€ฆ and so they buy a Chromebook.

However, Iโ€™m happy that Chrome OS and Android are finally part of the โ€œLinuxโ€ numberโ€ฆ maybe one day someone will realize that you can have Linux without having Google.

While it’s nice to have some “recognition”, I’m not as big a fan of “converting” people who don’t know what they are doing into the Linux ecosystem, and DEFINITELY not into antiX. The goals of antiX are to be as lean and efficient as possible, NOT to “dumb down” and spend all of our time training, educating, or changing our distribution. I’m totally against that. As it is, we’ve done quite a few things to cater to users, none of which I need and same for long time antiX veteran users and developers.

Percentages mean nothing to me, except to indicate that we’re going in the wrong direction if we gain too much popularity; that’s an indication that the primary goals are being obscured; fortunately we are a LONG way from that happening!

--
                        Brian Masinick

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.