List and then Restore all your installed apps on a fresh machine/after reinstall

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks List and then Restore all your installed apps on a fresh machine/after reinstall

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated Jun 5-4:31 pm by PPC.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Do you want to generate a list of every application that you installed or updated (using the system’s package management system), so you can have the same exact setup on a fresh install?
    sudo my_installed_debs
    does just that.

The best part? You can then automatically install everything from that text file!
    (NOTE: I got this tip from DistroTube youtube channel and from https://askubuntu.com/questions/252734/apt-get-mass-install-packages-from-a-file):
    1.- Run “sudo my_installed_debs” on the system you want to be replicated (the “source” system)
    2.- Save the file (by default in your home folder, as “my_installed_debs.txt”)
    3.- To Install everything from your list on a fresh system, copy “my_installed_debs.txt” to the destination machine’s home and then run this on the terminal:
    sudo apt-get install $(awk '{print $1'} ~/my_installed_debs.txt)

SUGGESTION TO THE DEV TEAM: If antiX already provides “my_installed_debs”, why not include a script to install debs from the list? (same as step 3, above)? (if it exists I did not find it… basically all the user would have to do was “sudo my_installed_debs” to get the software list and then something like “sudo restore_my_installed_debs” to install all the apps!

P.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.