Live architecture of antiX can be applied to other Linux distros

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-19 “Marielle Franco, Hannie Schaft, Manolis Glezos, Grup Yorum” Live architecture of antiX can be applied to other Linux distros

Tagged: 

• This topic has 42 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Feb 28-9:24 pm by BitJam.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Thanks for the clear update Dave.

I’m confident that all of you are doing very good work and I appreciate your time and explanation.

Brian Masinick

andyprough
    Helpful
    Up

Wow, this is incredibly interesting, I had no idea the antiX tools could just be dropped in so simply to another distro and still retain all the functions. Does anyone know if this works with Devuan? I could do some really cool stuff with a hybrid antiX/Devuan respin.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by andyprough.
    skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

the antiX tools could just be dropped in so simply to another distro and still retain all the functions.

careful, that’s an overly broad inference. Some of the tools absolutely cannot “just be dropped in”.

The appimage version of live-usb-maker distributed by MX Linux, it can be used ala MintStick (“dd mode”) in other distros.

Usage of { isosnapshot, live-remaster, live-usb-maker, live-kernel-updater } will require, for instance:

adding antiX repository, if compatible (??? Devuan “beowulf” <–> antiX19 <–> Debian ‘buster”)
    or retrieving the source code of the various dependent “moving parts” and repackinging for the other distro.

unpacking the initrd.gz, customizing its content to suit the other distro, and repacking. (ref: /usr/local/lib/cli-shell-utils/bin/unpack-initrd or /usr/local/bin/ps_initrd.sh)

edited to add:

Someone can chime in if I’ve missed anything, but at a minimim the list of “moving parts” includes:

remaster-antix (depends: antix-libs)
    live-usb-maker (depends: cli-shell-utils and others)
    live-kernel-updater (depends: cli-shell-utils)
    iso-snapshot-antix (depends: iso-template-antix, remaster-antix, antix-viewer and others)
    iso-template-antix
    antix-libs
    cli-shell-utils
    antix-gfxboot
    -=-
    squashfs-tools
    syslinux-utils
    xorriso

additional edit:

antiX kernels include fbcondecor patch. Several of the “moving parts” listed above probably expect, if not require, components provided by the “fbsplash-antix” package.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by skidoo.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by skidoo.
    Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

Does anyone know if this works with Devuan? I could do some really cool stuff with a hybrid antiX/Devuan respin.

Unfortunately some newer Debian packages do not have LSB init scripts. For example, Intel’s iwd, a replacement for wpasupplicant, works very nicely with connman. Devuan tries to add scripts to these packages, and it did so in the case of iwd. So, I am also curious about antiX with Devuan repos. Will look in to it.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=966518

andyprough
    Helpful
    Up

Unfortunately some newer Debian packages do not have LSB init scripts. For example, Intel’s iwd, a replacement for wpasupplicant, works very nicely with connman. Devuan tries to add scripts to these packages, and it did so in the case of iwd. So, I am also curious about antiX with Devuan repos. Will look in to it.

Thanks for the info. I did have trouble with networking, particularly wireless. I added the Devuan iwd package, and now I can get networking by killing and restarting NetworkManager, and wireless by running the ‘wifi on’ command. Not sure if iwd was a help for that at all or not, but suddenly I can get it working whereas before I could not.

So far, what works is that iso-snapshot-antix and live-usb-maker installed on Devuan with some dependencies including antix-libs, antix-viewer, cli-shell-utils, iso-template-antix, live-usb-maker-gui-antix, and remaster-antix. I also installed format-usb, and from the Devuan repo I installed lockfile-progs to allow antiX persistence to work. All these programs seem to work on Devuan as they would on antiX.

Devuan boots from the antiX boot screen, and root persistence works, and saving persistence works. That’s what I’ve tested. I tried to do a frugal install but I’m getting a failure message. I’ll try again and copy the failure message to this thread. Hopefully it’s just a missing package. If anyone knows a package I should install to try getting frugal install working, please leave a comment for me.

The toram option didn’t work the first time I tried it. I’ll mess around with that a bit more, I didn’t put any effort into it.

The nice thing was that ISO Snapshot copied everything, down to my wifi password and my browser extensions. antiX has turned the entirety of my Devuan desktop into a Live USB with persistence, which is very awesome.

UPDATE – frugal and toram not working were my fault. I had too little ram for toram and I needed to reformat my frugal partition for the frugal install.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by andyprough.
    Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for the info. I did have trouble with networking, particularly wireless. I added the Devuan iwd package, and now I can get networking by killing and restarting NetworkManager, and wireless by running the ‘wifi on’ command. Not sure if iwd was a help for that at all or not, but suddenly I can get it working whereas before I could not.

https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager/iwd
    There are some steps to use iwd as the backend for network-manager.

So far, what works is that iso-snapshot-antix and live-usb-maker installed on Devuan with some dependencies including antix-libs, antix-viewer, cli-shell-utils, iso-template-antix, live-usb-maker-gui-antix, and remaster-antix. I also installed format-usb, and from the Devuan repo I installed lockfile-progs to allow antiX persistence to work. All these programs seem to work on Devuan as they would on antiX.

Devuan boots from the antiX boot screen, and root persistence works, and saving persistence works. That’s what I’ve tested. I tried to do a frugal install but I’m getting a failure message. I’ll try again and copy the failure message to this thread. Hopefully it’s just a missing package. If anyone knows a package I should install to try getting frugal install working, please leave a comment for me.

Wow, thanks for the info! I will download antiX-net ISO and try changing to Devuan repos.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Dzhigit.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by Dzhigit.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

What is the benefit of using Devian repos?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

What is the benefit of using Devian repos?

Some of the Debian packages, like iwd, are not adding LSB init scripts anymore.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Care to try my systemd-free version (buster)?

https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/Testing/

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

Care to try my systemd-free version (buster)?

https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/Testing/

Thank you, it is working for me in antiX 19. But the point is that this problem is probably with more than one package, and it will get more common with newer packages. Debian does not require init scripts anymore, only systemd units. Devuan and antiX developers add scripts where Debian developers don’t, not to mention the work that Devuan developers have put in to modifying DEs.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Glad that it works – I’ll upload it to our repos.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

But the point is that this problem is probably with more than one package, and it will get more common with newer packages.

Let’s park the “probably”.
    The devuan project Devuan currently maintains only 118 packages.
    https://gitea.devuan.dev/devuan?page=8
    I say “only” because
    1) this total is less than when previously checked (back a few years when updating the nosystemd.org wiki)
    2) many casual users falsely believe Devuan has “rescued” a huge number of systemd-tainted packages

Of those 118 packages, 60 are related to devuan infrastructure or are otherwise unuseful uninteresting to anyone running a desktop, non-devuan, system:
    linux-raspi
    linux-sunxi
    devuan-baseconf
    pkgsel
    unattended-upgrades
    devuan-keyring
    www.devuan.org (web docs packagename)
    documentation (was devuan-doc)
    infrastructure_doc
    installer-iso
    gitea.devuan.dev (web assets)
    clearlooks-phenix-lightpurpy-theme
    clearlooks-phenix-darkpurpy-theme
    clearlooks-phenix-purpy-theme
    darkpurpy-icon-theme
    clearlooks-phenix-cinnabar-theme
    cinnabar-icon-theme
    devuan-lintian-profile
    choose-mirror
    choose-init
    live-build
    openstack-devuan-images
    pdns-recursor
    debootstrap
    base-files
    apt-setup
    net-tools
    reportbug
    rootskel-gtk
    anna
    base-installer
    lsb
    ltsp
    ltspfs
    ldm
    pcsc-lite
    ansible-role-nginx
    jenkins-debian-glue
    releasebot
    jessie-support
    cryptsetup-modified-functions
    desktop-base
    389-ds-base
    tellpackage
    debian-installer
    gitea-spammerblock
    sacc
    dak
    tasksel
    sanity
    britney2
    main-menu
    popularity-contest
    distro-info-data
    devuan-sanity
    debian-config-override
    amprolla3
    pinthread
    rrqnet

Another 30 or so packages are unappealing (same/older versions, or lesser functionality) compared to packages available via antiX repo or MX Linux repo:
    refractasnapshot-base
    refractasnapshot-gui
    refractainstaller-gui
    refractainstaller-base
    xfce4-session
    xfce4-systemload-plugin
    xfce4-settings
    xfce4-panel
    plymouth
    lightdm
    dbus
    policykit-1
    cowdancer
    xlennart
    rsyslog
    bash-completion
    firejail
    util-linux
    valgrind
    procps
    apt
    gpsd
    colord
    consolekit2 (deprecated, unneeded in antiX 19)
    udev (unneeded in antiX 19)
    libvirt
    sysvinit
    gdisk
    cups
    slim
    apulse
    elogind
    eudev

Having discounted the above, only a short “shortlist” remains. Notes-to-self from my recent check show the following as the only noteworthy packages “of possible interest”:

dnscrypt-proxy
    fontsnaps (for xfce-4)
    gvfs
    init-system-helpers
    iwd
    meson
    net-tools
    network-manager
    openvpn
    packagekit
    pulseaudio
    python3-fusepy
    seatd (nascent project, elogind alternative)
    setnet
    sshguard
    surf2
    tomcat9
    udisks2
    upower
    vdev
    wicd
    lxc-templates
    cgroupfs-mount
    cgmanager

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

Please keep meson/ninja up dated my version 0.56.2 running on 21a this is so important to me for installing my source & binary.

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

If you already have 0.56.2 installed, you are ahead of the pack!

debian buster-backports has 0.56.1-1
    https://packages.debian.org/buster-backports/meson
    devuan has 0.54.3-1 https://gitea.devuan.dev/devuan/meson/src/branch/suites/unstable/debian/changelog

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

I decided to try this with antiX-19.3-runit-sid_x64-net.iso in a VM. However I am getting this error. desktop-session was missing a lot of dependencies. I think installed python3-xdg and several more manually, but I cannot figure this one out.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.