Live architecture of antiX can be applied to other Linux distros

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-19 “Marielle Franco, Hannie Schaft, Manolis Glezos, Grup Yorum” Live architecture of antiX can be applied to other Linux distros

Tagged: 

• This topic has 42 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Feb 28-9:24 pm by BitJam.
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    skidoo
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

That exact (python-xdg) error has been discussed here in the forum, and as far as I know has been fixed in later versions, so… I suspect the antiX -provided utility packages installed on the affected 19.3 system are not the latest (fixed) versions.

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

I suspect the antiX -provided utility packages installed on the affected 19.3 system are not the latest (fixed) versions.

I am using unstable/sid/ceres repos. desktop-menu-antix is version 0.1.1

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

When I run with –no-icons, all of the errors go away except for “Unable to to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused”, which is shown twice.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

v— seems to be for an unrelated issue [so removed, to avoid further confusion]

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by skidoo.
    Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

The solution you posted seems to be for an unrelated issue. Currently, I am getting these errors from desktop-menu and desktop-defaults-run.

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

My mistake, I uploaded the screenshot with desktop-defaults-run running as root. But when it is run as user demo, I have the same error.

EDIT: Actually, it is different

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Dzhigit.
    Forum Admin
    Dave
    Helpful
    Up

Oh excellent, thank you for the testing using net/core.
    The desktop-menu script not finding the icons is likely because gtk3 is not available.
    apt install python3-gi libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-common

The desktop-defaults-run error is because there is no desktop code available ($DESKTOP_CODE or ~/.desktop-session/desktop-code.[0-9])
    A more graceful error should be made for this.

There also appears to be no valid X display running. The programs should probably bow out right away if this is the case…
    I am guessing this is because you are trying (wanting?) to run programs sand boxed in a qemu environment.
    What is the output of the command “env”?

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

I already installed those python gtk packages manually due to past experience.

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

I don’t know how, but suddenly, desktop-menu is now working perfectly. The desktop-defaults-run error disappeared, but it still just prints the name of the program and doesn’t actually launch it.

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

well after looking at the desktop-defaults-run script, I figured it out. please add gksu as a dependency of desktop-defaults-antix.

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

Glad that it works – I’ll upload it to our repos.

Okay, I think I have spoken too soon. Ever since installing your iwd, somehow Wi-Fi works but it loses connection, and I have to restart the iwd service every few hours. And, scanning does not work in connman.

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

Everything is currently working perfectly with wpasupplicant.

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    Helpful
    Up

All this means that Live architecture developed for antiX is more general and can be applied to other distros as well, along with it’s superior functionality.
    Is this not something that Linux community could be made aware of such superiority of antiX Live architecture as applicable also to their respective distros?
    Or rather it should be kept restricted to antiX and only for the benefit of antiX?

As the lead live antiX developer I want to thank you for all your kind words. In addition, I greatly appreciate your evangelical spirit and I encourage you to keep it up. If there are changes to the live system that will make porting easier, PLMK. One thing on my todo list for antiX-21 is to make the live shutdown compatible with systemd.

I know dolphin_oracle worked on porting our live system to other distros a few years ago starting with making a snapshot. AFAIK, he had mixed results and did not make his results public. Again, I’m delighted by your efforts. I’m happy to make changes if they would help. I’d love to see these efforts eventually become part of the official documentation for MX and antiX. Perhaps called something like “How to Port our Live System to other Distros”.

In some ways anti and I were fortunate to be able to develop the live system in relative obscurity for many years.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.