Live desktop freezes/unfreeze

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Live desktop freezes/unfreeze

• This topic has 24 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jan 22-12:27 am by Jovi Fly.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Jovi Fly

Hello, good days!

First of all let me say, that even if English is not my main language i´m reading all the posts and instructions shared for new users.

I really want to revive my old laptop, and i see Antix as a godsent, it would be awesome bringing to life this near 20 years old old boy even if it just to see yt videos.

Thanks to that i managed to reach the live desktop screen when i´m trying to install Antix 22 from LiveDVD into it (an Acer Travelmate 2300 series)

The thing is that once i´m on the live desktop screen, all the OS freezes, and keeps freezed until the minute of the system clock change (For example from 16:10 to 16:11) and at that moment, i can move the cursor, open menus, folders, etc. for a pair of seconds just before it freezes again until the next minute of the clock.

I´m writting this post, because i didnt found any user with the same problem, and it´s really annoying. Could someone enlighten me please? Much appreciated!

punranger

Have you tried creating a live USB? I think your model should be able to boot from USB. If this works, it suggests a problem with the DVD disc or drive. If the problem remains, it seems you have some sort of a hardware problem. (I never saw a problem like that.) I’ve run antiX on similar machines.

antiX linux: The best way to revive an old computer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTaUAP6sSg

caprea

Besides the good tip to better use a live usb, if this is antiX-full version there are two kernels installed by default.
          Did you already try the other kernel from bootscreen “Advanced options” ?

Jovi Fly

Thanks for the tip!

I tried, and results that mi BIOS doesnt have native support for Bootable USBs. I tried through plop bootloader, but it freeze at booting the USB without even change the screen. Also with easyBD.. something, but neither.

Jovi Fly

No, i didnt. I will this night after work. Anything else i could check?

caprea

It’s not nessecary on antiX to use plop for booting with usb, even if the PC doesn’t support it.
                Start with the DVD to boot and put your usb stick in one port also.
                On the bootscreen from the DVD choose the option “from usb”, it’s in the advanced options.
                Then the boot will start from DVD but then automagically continues with the usb stick.

Jovi Fly

No way! Seriously??? All the hours that i spent… *Loads the gun* All that times focused in the laptop instead of playing with my friends… *Aims to the temple* For nothing… *Press the trigger*

I´m a bit tired, so i´ll puspose this really appreciated advices for tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Couldn´t hold on and decided to at least try with the other kernel, the thing is… that i dont find it. I´m using the full AntiX 22 ISO, and checked Bootscreen > Switch to Grub Bootloader > >>>Advanced Options<<< Even after search through the forum, i still dont get it.

Where is supposed to be, or what i´m doing wrong?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Jovi Fly.
                  caprea

Oh, I forgot you are booting in bios mode , not uefi.
                    But in bios mode the kernels are easy to find, directly on the first screen you see, there’s
                    Use legacy kernel
                    Use modern kernel
                    Memory Test

The “from usb” option in Bios mode is on the second screen in the F4 options.

punranger

All that times focused in the laptop instead of playing with my friends… For nothing…

antiX is free, which really means that you pay for it with your time. It is the same thing with all knowledge you work for yourself, really. And all the time you spend you learn SOMETHING. So instead of playing with your friends, you learnt something. Maybe even more than you would playing with your friends. Also, think about the people who spent time helping you with your problem. If it was for nothing, I don’t think I would bother.

antiX linux: The best way to revive an old computer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTaUAP6sSg

Jovi Fly

Oh, I forgot you are booting in bios mode , not uefi.
                        But in bios mode the kernels are easy to find, directly on the first screen you see, there’s
                        Use legacy kernel
                        Use modern kernel
                        Memory Test

The “from usb” option in Bios mode is on the second screen in the F4 options.

Maybe could be that i´m using the x32 bits ISO, but i can´t see those options. The only ones that appear are:

antiX-22 386-full (18 october 2022)
                        Safe Video Mode
                        Virtual Box Video
                        Failsafe Boot
                        Boot from Hard Disk
                        Memory Test
                        Switch to Grub Bootloader

Then are the Boot options box and the shortcuts F1,F2,… (Y.Y)

Forum Admin
                        anticapitalista

The 32 bit versions ship with one kernel, the 4.9 one.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Jovi Fly

antiX is free, which really means that you pay for it with your time. It is the same thing with all knowledge you work for yourself, really. And all the time you spend you learn SOMETHING. So instead of playing with your friends, you learnt something. Maybe even more than you would playing with your friends. Also, think about the people who spent time helping you with your problem. If it was for nothing, I don’t think I would bother.

Yeah of course i know that all the time i have been headbutting? the laptop is not wasted. I learnt that how much fragile can be the CDs, how to isolate a problem (from check integrity and veracity of an ISO, to my actual one problem), and that the older ways to do the things are always the more reliables (from burn at low speed, to use CD instead of USB). I was acting, like in a film . Dont take it too much seriously 😉

And the best/worst (Depends to who you ask) is that this is only the start. Once i have installed AntiX (who knows when) the true battle will begin. (X.X)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Jovi Fly.
                            Jovi Fly

Kernel option discarted then, I´ll go with the magic trick of boot from dvd and set up from the USB. It´s the only card i have to solve this blizzard in the live desktop… I´ll also use toram to increase the speed once there.

You will get news, thanks you boys! (^.^)/

caprea

The 32 bit versions ship with one kernel, the 4.9 one.

makes sense.

As you see, Jovi Fly, we are still learning , too.

Edit: For the “from usb” trick, CD and usb stick have to be the same antiX version.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by caprea.
                                Jovi Fly

Bad news, even booting from=usb (That was a success, all the booting was quite faster) and toram, the live desktop is only interactive for a couple of seconds at each minute´s change system clock…

Hardware fault? The CPU is an Intel celeron M 340 (Banias). And the actual O.S. (windows XP) runs perfectly.

any info that i can share for solve this problem? I´m lost in the mist again… Y.Y

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.