loads into RAM?

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX loads into RAM?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by sickpig Feb 1-12:31 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    sickpig
    sickpig

Hi All,

I came here after searching for an OS that runs off RAM. I see the base iso size is just shy of 700mb. So my question is will all of this 700 mb get loaded into RAM, once I run the live CD?

A bit of context. My computer does not have ssd and therefore is painfully slow. So I am looking at OS which will live and run directly from RAM. Something like puppy linux. Puppy Xenial iso is 330mb and when I run the live usb I see base RAM usage is 330mb. So when I run Antix live cd will it use 700mb RAM?

Thank you and appreciate you guys taking time to answer noob questions.

Cheers!

• This topic was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by sickpig.
    • This topic was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by sickpig.
    Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    dolphin_oracle

if you are running live off a cd, usb, or a “frugal” internal disk install, then yes, you can use the “toram” boot option to load the entire thing into ram. the persistence files, if you use persistence, can also be loaded into ram, making a very quick system indeed.

caprea
    caprea

You can also have a look here.
    https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-17/FAQ/boot-params.html#_other_booting_options
    Scroll down to Other Live Options

If I remember right the toram option is part of the options you can choose with the F4 key on the bootscreen.

koolstofje
    koolstofje

Is live uncompressed?

skidoo

FWIW, the “toram” boot option isn’t exclusive to antiX. It’s a feature provided by the debian initramfs-tools package which, typically, is also present in Mint, Ubuntu…

Uncompressed?
    Hmm, during liveboot session startup when toram has been specified, you’ll notice an onscreen message like “Copying 700Mb to RAM…..”
    The rootfs is a read-only squashfs file. Its content was compressed when the squashfs was created, and any accessed content is transparently unsquashed, as needed. If the rootfs is 700Mb, it will occupy that (700Mb) identical amount when loaded into (and read from) RAM

the toram option is part of the options you can choose with the F4 key on the bootscreen.

Yes, can be requested via F4.
    Confusingly (to me), F8 save remembers/stores it as a default option but during subsequent boots, it (toram) isn’t displayed as a prepopulated option in the Custom entrybox

sickpig
    sickpig

Hello All,

Thank you for your helpful inputs
    I installed Antix on a bootable usb
    first impressions:
    wifi works ootb

its got many user friendly options(am gui junkie) the control center is a nice touch – in puppy an extra app has to be installed to get something similar to control center

like the option to choose multiple WMs

netflix in ff works ootb but there is video tearing – same was the case with puppy, there i had to add a file to xconf to fix it. havent tried that yet in Antix

tried to install opera deb in live session, the gdebi runs but doesn’t install – will read up on faq on how to install apps in live session

too many options have to be selected to get persistance going. I found them a tad confusing. will have to read up to sort that.

no menu option to setup multiple monitors – puppy has that option in default menu options

the above is by no means a comparision between Antix and other oses, just sharing my experiences

thanks again everyone for the help and dolphin_oracle, great utube videos! going to hit like on most of them!

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by sickpig.
    ile
    ile

HHello sickpig
    There is more than one place to read of persistence live options, FAQ >Persistence; forum search persistence; this is a recent:
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/improvements-and-looks/page/4/#post-14972
    post 14972 by member skidoo

equivalent to just share my experiences: have found here STATIC is preferred choice at this end user. simply find the word static and select that option for a trial. the speed of antiX is phenomenal and can handle this. select upon each reboot or select savestate to make sticky.

display monitors menu item
    Control Centre >Session : familiarise with Control Centre for some of Your answers.

sickpig
    sickpig

Thanks ile, I shall go through the control options. The most impressive thing is antiX uses so less RAM. thats good right, would allow for more tabs in me browser 🙂

olsztyn

Thanks ile, I shall go through the control options. The most impressive thing is antiX uses so less RAM

I can tell you I am also a new user of antiX and I went through Puppy, Astrumi, Slitaz, TinyCore, etc. particularly all those that have capability to run from RAM. After I have just discovered antiX I can tell that it blows everything else out of the water!
    Flexibility, customization, Live options – nothing comes close. You will discover functions in the Control Panel that are already thought of and implemented while in other distros are an effort to accomplish.
    I tested antiX on many my laptops and it just blows all others out of the water…
    Just for reference I am using Space Fluxbox WM, which I found the most functional, rock solid and efficient, providing aesthetic menu fonts.

sickpig
    sickpig

the more i use it the more i love it
    no coincidence that it has such high rating on distrowatch
    anyone know good gui editors for WMs. editing their config files in text editor seems a bit daunting to me.

masinick
    masinick

the more i use it the more i love it
    no coincidence that it has such high rating on distrowatch
    anyone know good gui editors for WMs. editing their config files in text editor seems a bit daunting to me.

There are many GUI-based text editors. The ones with ‘*pad*’ somewhere in the name: featherpad, leafpad, mousepad, are all simple and GUI-based. antiX usually has geany available. It is a light editor, yet it has nice integrated development editor (IDE) capabilities, so I’d recommend checking i tout to see if it will meet your needs.

Brian Masinick

caprea
    caprea

Brian, might be mistaken but I think sickpig is asking for the opposite.

editing their config files in text editor seems a bit daunting to me

sickpig,I fully understand that and can still remember it very well when I felt the same way.
    Over time, however, I realized that editing config files was often much more straightforward and easier to reverse if it didn’t work as intended.

A GUI does not tell you where it makes which changes and why.

And in /etc/skel are hidden files and folders, you can always look there how everything was configured from the start.
    There are also a lot of helpful people here if you have questions and are unsure how to do it successfully.

Besides the Gui-apps in the Control Center, icewm has icewmcc in the menu under system tools to make some changes.

sickpig
    sickpig

masinick i meant gui apps for editing the WMs not text editors :), i think i was not clear enough. u r right editing xmls is easy enough. i might try to port my jwm config files from puppy over to antiX. lets c how that goes eh

caprea, yes but icewmcc is so basic and inflexible. and yes the amount of help and useful advise here is immense. couldnt agree more.

one more observation, dropbox works ootb in antiX but not in puppy. the app installs alright, allows you to sign in but gives error about filesystem not being ext4. but in antiX just works!

thanks guys

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

Hello sickpig,

Skidoo mentions a couple in the “Improvements and looks” under announcements thread but I haven’t tried any of them.
    such as IceWM Control Panel” aka “iceWMCP.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

sickpig
    sickpig

Thanks linuxdaddy will try that otherwise can always learn how to edit its config files. there will be a learning curve but thats unavoidable. thats the price u pay for having a fast system with a small footprint 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by sickpig.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.