loads into RAM?

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX loads into RAM?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by sickpig Feb 1-12:31 am.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

You’re welcome sickpig,

It’s the lack of the gui tools that keeps the footprint small and
    editing a couple of config files is actually easier for me to do.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

seaken64

Welcome to the forum sickpig.

I come from a background of using CP/M, DOS, and my first Linux was Slackware. I understand that it can be daunting to have to edit text config files. But it doesn’t take too long before it becomes comfortable. With the guidance of others who have experience in such things it is easier. antiX can be a steep learning curve when compared to MX or Xubuntu, which I also use. But I love that is runs in so little memory.

Seaken64

sickpig
    sickpig

Thanks seaken64

yes, i have become somewhat comfortable with editing text files now. no biggie. i have since then moved on to just debian, with openbox as WM and xfce4 panel. I have achieved 155mb ram at startup. its not the lowest or something to boast of but when i compare to the ghastly amount windows consumed just to run the base OS, 155mb seems divine.

i can now comfortably edit lightdm, openbox etc config files and am very happy that i have setup my computer just the way i like it. snappy and responsive 🙂

all of this started as a personal experiment to see if i can avoid upgrading my computer to ssd and more RAM without compromising on performance and usability

i am happy to report that linux definitely achieves that and much more without forcing you to upgrade your hardware. its just that the users need to stick through the initial learning curve and then everything is super easy and smooth

u owe it to yourself to give that much time to your computing device since computers have become such an integral part of our lives

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by sickpig.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.