lock screen && suspend

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Jan 17-8:49 pm by ATGhQlsvhij19tw5jgDi.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ATGhQlsvhij19tw5jgDi

Hi all.
    I am used to other distribution where, for privacy/security reasons, I set up the system to lock the user in case I would suspend it.
    This is to prevent that an (unauthorized) person, waking the working station, can access the system and use the logged user without the need of entering any password.
    Is it any way to do the same with antix 21?
    Thank you very much!

๐Ÿ™‚

• This topic was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by ATGhQlsvhij19tw5jgDi.
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

You could install xcreensaver with Synaptic or apt.

If I recall there is also xlock on the logout menu if you want to lock it manually.

You could also add it to your ~/.icewm/toolbar or add a keyboard shortcut for xlock to your ~/.icewm/keys file.

ATGhQlsvhij19tw5jgDi
    Helpful
    Up

thank you very much for your answer.
    maybe I did not explain me well.
    I wanted a solution that allows me, ideally with a single shortcut, to both lock the user (xlock) && suspend the system (pm-suspend) in order mandatory require the person to insert the user credentials when the suspended system is awaken again from its suspension.

As some of my values are minimalism and keep things essential I would rather avoid install any extra software (xscreensaver in this care) if possible ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you!!

๐Ÿ™‚

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Does Xfce have that? If so, maybe investigate installing xfce power manager. Or the power manager from the desktop that had it? You could try it first running from flashdrive to avoid messing up your main system if necessary.

PS: I see 4 power managers in synaptic

The Xfce one looks to have the lock screen option you want. Gnome was the 4th one I found under power management

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by BobC.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by BobC.
    ATGhQlsvhij19tw5jgDi
    Helpful
    Up

yes xfce (not only) does have its power manager that I can apt install.

Yet, like I mentioned above, my philosophy is K.I.S.S. and essential and would like to find a solution without the need of installing anything extra. If it is possible.

Is there any command I can associate to a keyboard shortcut (and that does not require sudo)?

My idea is to call xlock and after that a shortcut to pm-suspend the system. In theory once the system is awaken from its suspension it should present you the xlock screen asking for the user password and hence protect privacy&security.

Thank you!

๐Ÿ™‚

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

If I recall, there is a directory of scripts that are executed on suspend and resume, and perhaps you could change those scripts to execute xlock on resume after the screen is working.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/screen-doesnt-lock-on-suspend-antix-19-2-1_base/

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

ATGhQlsvhij19tw5jgDi
    Helpful
    Up

thank you anticapitalista! that discussion you linked sorted my issue! very kind of you!

hopefully this “bump up” of the thread could help someone else or even make the devs think about merging it with an official release, I see security and privacy issues about the default “suspend” button. Or at least devs could add a button “lock and suspend” in the next release, just saying. thank you anyway!

๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.