Login from TTY

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Login from TTY

• This topic has 31 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Feb 9-2:43 am by olsztyn.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Jae

Hi Guys,

I have just installed Antix base and I would like to login without using Slim. How do I set things up to login from tty without breaking things?

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

Welcome.
        For us to help you, you need to give us more information.

antiX-23?
        runit or sysvinit edition?
        Fully updated?
        Are you using any locale except default English?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Jae

Yes, I am using Antix-23 base install, the sysvinit edition, fully updated with an locale of English. The reason I want to get rid of using Slim is because I use this on a laptop that I connect a monitor to it when at my desk. The problem is that when I have the monitor connected the Slim login screen is spread between the laptop screen and the attached monitor. Hope that makes sense?

Forum Admin
          anticapitalista

OK try this:

In control centre > System > Choose Startup Services.
            Use mouse or keyboard to remove all x for slimski
            q will save and quit the app.
            Reboot

You will boot to console, type in username and use password,
            startx /usr/local/bin/desktop-session zzz-icewm

Have a look at this thread.
            The first few steps are no longer needed.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/startx-on-antix-base-and-full/

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Jae

Thank you! Such a simple solution.

Forum Admin
              anticapitalista

To avoid typing that long startx line, you could make an alias set in ~/.bashrc eg

# startx as user for all antiX 'desktop' options alias
                alias srj="startx /usr/local/bin/desktop-session rox-jwm"
                alias srf="startx /usr/local/bin/desktop-session rox-fluxbox"
                alias sri="startx /usr/local/bin/desktop-session rox-icewm"
                alias szj="startx /usr/local/bin/desktop-session zzz-jwm"
                alias szf="startx /usr/local/bin/desktop-session zzz-fluxbox"
                alias szi="startx /usr/local/bin/desktop-session zzz-icewm"
                alias smj="startx /usr/local/bin/desktop-session min-jwm"
                alias smf="startx /usr/local/bin/desktop-session min-fluxbox"
                alias smi="startx /usr/local/bin/desktop-session min-icewm"
                alias shw="startx /usr/local/bin/desktop-session herbstluftwm"

Jae

Great suggestion.

I was going to be installing DWM, so I was thinking about adding something to my bash_profile so that I always login to DWM. Just a thought.

olsztyn

To avoid typing that long startx line, you could make an alias set in ~/.bashrc eg

Thanks anticapitalista…
                    For me this is is great tip I have overlooked so far. These aliases are already in place (probably that I am running antiX Full) in my antiX instance. However putting together tips in this thread another possibility opens, namely it appears I can run several desktops in their own windows at the same time, which capability I was not aware of…
                    So now, being in Openbox/Lxpanel session I was able to open an Enlightenment antiX session in a window!
                    I did not know…Thank you anticapitalista… I will experiment further…

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                    http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
                    anticapitalista

@olsztyn -yes but only when using runit and sysvinit.
                      At the moment, although I can startx under s6, no mouse or keyboard works.
                      I *think* it is because under s6 or s6-66 seatd runs without the -g video call.

pstree
                      runit─┬─bash─┬─bash─┬─bash─┬─awk
                            │      │      │      └─sleep
                            │      │      └─herbstclient
                            │      ├─bash
                            │      └─dzen2
                            ├─dbus-daemon
                            ├─dbus-launch
                            ├─dhclient
                            ├─roxterm───bash───pstree
                            └─runsvdir─┬─runsv───udevd
                                       ├─runsv───login───bash───startx───xinit─┬─Xorg───{Xorg}
                                       │                                       └─desktop-session───icewm-session───icewm
                                       ├─runsv───login───startx───xinit─┬─Xorg───{Xorg}
                                       │                                └─desktop-session───herbstluftwm───urxvt─┬─bash
                                       │                                                                         └─urxvt
                                       └─runsv───seatd

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

At the moment, although I can startx under s6, no mouse or keyboard works.
                        I *think* it is because under s6 or s6-66 seatd runs without the -g video call.

Yes! I fixed it!.

pstree
                        s6-svscan─┬─bash─┬─bash─┬─bash─┬─awk
                                  │      │      │      └─sleep
                                  │      │      └─herbstclient
                                  │      ├─bash
                                  │      └─dzen2
                                  ├─2*[dbus-daemon]
                                  ├─2*[dbus-launch]
                                  ├─dhclient
                                  ├─roxterm───bash
                                  ├─2*[s6-supervise───s6-ipcserverd]
                                  ├─5*[s6-supervise───agetty]
                                  ├─s6-supervise───s6-linux-init-s
                                  ├─9*[s6-supervise───s6-log]
                                  ├─23*[s6-supervise]
                                  ├─s6-supervise───login───bash───startx───xinit─┬─Xorg───{Xorg}
                                  │                                              └─desktop-session───icewm-session───icewm
                                  ├─s6-supervise───sshd
                                  ├─s6-supervise───s6-fdholderd
                                  ├─s6-supervise───foreground───udevd
                                  ├─s6-supervise───dbus-daemon
                                  ├─s6-supervise───foreground───seatd
                                  ├─s6-supervise───haveged
                                  ├─s6-supervise───acpid
                                  └─s6-supervise───slimski─┬─Xorg───{Xorg}
                                                           └─desktop-session───herbstluftwm─┬─firefox-esr─┬─Isolated Web Co───21*[{Isolated Web Co}]
                                                                                            │             ├─Privileged Cont───19*[{Privileged Cont}]
                                                                                            │             ├─RDD Process───3*[{RDD Process}]
                                                                                            │             ├─Socket Process───5*[{Socket Process}]
                                                                                            │             ├─Utility Process───3*[{Utility Process}]
                                                                                            │             ├─3*[Web Content───15*[{Web Content}]]
                                                                                            │             ├─WebExtensions───20*[{WebExtensions}]
                                                                                            │             └─81*[{firefox-esr}]
                                                                                            └─urxvt─┬─bash───pstree
                                                                                                    └─urxvt

techore

Nice!

stevesr0

Hi anticapitalista,

I am not very knowledgeable about pstree, but are you running two desktops at the same time (two monitor setup, perhaps)?

Forum Admin
                            anticapitalista

@stevesr0 – yes 2 desktops at the same time on the same screen.

One tty is using herbstluftwm and another tty min-icewm.

You switch via Ctrl Alt F1 (herbstluftwm) and F2 (min-icewm). (You might need F7 instead of F1. It depends on the init used).

I don’t run my laptop like this. It was just an experiment.

olsztyn

@stevesr0 – yes 2 desktops at the same time on the same screen.
                                One tty is using herbstluftwm and another tty min-icewm.

@stevesr0:
                                It appears anticapitalista has been hiding from us some fantastic potential in antiX never before disclosed…
                                This dormant antiX potential, now accidentally uncovered, opens up new possibilities. It appears to me that potentially you can run all four antix desktops at the same time in their own spaces, and switch betweeen them at will. It is not the same as switching desktops via ‘Other Desktops’, where you run just one of them and just switch to which one you want…
                                Realistically I also have been thinking of Herbsluftwm and the second (or third) desktop but so far I am just experimenting with how to go about this in practice… If anticapitalista decides to shed some additional tips of the best way some day, this would be greatly appreciated… One way or the other, I think this antiX potential should be made public as antiX feature none other distro has…
                                Thank you again anticapitalista…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                                http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

anti-apXos

One way or the other, I think this antiX potential should be made public as antiX feature none other distro has…

I’m pretty sure it should work on most Linux distros actually. Having multiple login sessions (which can be x sessions) on different terminals goes all the way back to unix mainframe days. You can even have an x session over ssh, too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.