Login from TTY

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Login from TTY

• This topic has 31 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Feb 9-2:43 am by olsztyn.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn

I’m pretty sure it should work on most Linux distros actually. Having multiple login sessions (which can be x sessions) on different terminals goes all the way back to unix mainframe days.

Thanks for mentioning. You are right, of course. I do realize this fact. However what sets antiX apart from other distros in this respect is that antiX by it’s nature has four desktops to chose and even has a menu driven switch between them, which is a great deal of integration between these four. If you add another WM it will also be integrated the same way.

In such comparison, other distros have typically one, predefined desktop to be booted to, with no selection of desktops to chose during boot process, not speaking of switching between them on the fly. This is a significant difference in my opinion.
      Having highlighted the existing difference above, now this is another significant level of this feature: Not only antiX can dynamically switch from one desktop to another (be it four default ones or five or six, as in my case) but also you can start multiple types of desktops and run them simultaneously and switch between them at will. This is significant difference.

I do understand though that other distros can be made with multiple desktops and to switch between them or even run them simultaneously but I do not know of any that does this, while antiX does this by it’s nature of having multiple desktops built in by design.

You can even have an x session over ssh, too.

Could you please elaborate this, what is actually the difference in practice? I am not familiar, or more precisely I did not get to this point yet. I did try however to experiment with starting another desktop WM from a running desktop, but it seems to be always as a ‘subordinate’ of the original desktop. E.g. being in openbox I can start IceWM session but it seems an equivalent to run in a openbox window (or fullscreen) rather than being a completely separate desktop. This could be an advantage though, I am not sure…
      I would appreciate any advice (whether pros or cons) of these methods…

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Brian Masinick

Here’s one article on the topic:

https://journalxtra.com/linux/desktop/multiple-desktops-on-one-linux-pc-now-thats-greedy/

Others can easily be found; I simply searched using the string
        “Running multiple Linux desktop images using the same screen” and I used
        DuckDuckGo to search. Multiple articles available; take your pick;
        I shared one of many.

--
        Brian Masinick

olsztyn

Thank you Brian! Nice article describing this feature Linux-wide…
          From my testing there seem to be some inaccuracies or rather imprecisions in this article, but not in any sense diminishing the value of this article…
          Indeed, the potential exists linux-wide but in case of antiX multiple desktops are already built in by default, so such potential can just be realized as was the one to switch desktops via ‘Other Desktops’.
          Now, the question might be what is the value of such feature for typical user, who tends to pick his desktop favorite and stays in such desktop as his favorite and only environment. Probably not much for such user, but for a user who is testing under different desktops it seems very handy…

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by olsztyn.

stevesr0

Hi anticapitalista,

You are running multiple desktops on ONE screen. What size screen do you have or do you just wear magnifying glasses<g>?

Brian Masinick

Thank you Brian! Nice article describing this feature Linux-wide.
              From my testing there seem to be some inaccuracies or rather imprecisions in this article, but not in any sense diminishing the value of this article.
              Indeed, the potential exists linux-wide but in case of antiX multiple desktops are already built in by default, so such potential can just be realized as was the one to switch desktops via ‘Other Desktops’.
              Now, the question might be what is the value of such feature for typical user, who tends to pick his desktop favorite and stays in such desktop as his favorite and only environment. Probably not much for such user, but for a user who is testing under different desktops it seems very handy.

There are a number of other articles that can be accessed using the search string I suggested. If you are so inclined, perhaps one of the other articles is more precise and accurate. Like you said, though, we have what we need and only the really devoted person, inclined to test desktops would require this.

I have indeed used features like this; the reason was not to run multiple window managers or desktop environments, it was when I was working and I was literally working on different systems from a single monitor. In certain cases I’d want to run an authenticated instance; most of the time I’d just use different workspaces in a desktop environment but there were at least one or two scenarios where I’d do the equivalent functionality from a getty device, though I cannot remember WHY any more; chances are it was sysadmin related because I handled sysadmin roles multiple times.

--
              Brian Masinick

olsztyn

There are a number of other articles that can be accessed using the search string I suggested. If you are so inclined, perhaps one of the other articles is more precise and accurate. Like you said, though, we have what we need and only the really devoted person, inclined to test desktops would require this.

Yes. Completely understood.
                For me it was a new thing so please take my statements with such perspective…
                Thanks again…

Brian Masinick

No problem at all. Glad you found it interesting. I don’t think many people will care about it, but surprises abound; sometimes things that seem obscure one day become the topic of the day when we least expect it.

--
                  Brian Masinick

olsztyn

I don’t think many people will care about it, but surprises abound; sometimes things that seem obscure one day become the topic of the day when we least expect it.

You are most likely very right on this as most users will just pick their favorite desktop and stick with it. In my case though I like to research and try different things. Every day I learn something. Today is another such day.
                    Now that I am playing with running several desktops simultaneously and switch between them on the fly, it seems such a powerful capability I never new existed and so easy to use. But I also understand that for vast majority of users it is probably not very useful in their practice.
                    Thanks again for adding articles covering this functionality…

anti-apXos

Rather than another X graphical session, I do often like to run curses terminal apps on TTY2. Especially cmus. In fact, I created a whole separate user just for running cmus, with the program launched to playing automatically whenever I login on TTY2 as that user.

I’m not a vim user, but I’m sure if I was, I’d probably always have that running on a TTY, too.

olsztyn

Rather than another X graphical session, I do often like to run curses terminal apps on TTY2. Especially cmus.

This is another level of sophistication for me. I did not get to such point yet but interesting idea.
                        Question though for my understanding: Why a separate user to run CMUS? Not in the same user space… Does this not complicate access to CMUS from the primary user?

anti-apXos

No, there’s really no good reason for having a separate user for cmus any more than there’s a good reason for using a tty instead of just a terminal window for it.

Except, I guess, that it helps me conceptualize my running system. I tend to think of virtual desktops as arranged next to each other, while switching tty is like going in or out through layers. I guess a lot of people use some kind of spatial analogy like that for their system (and often the whole internet, too). My little monkey brain likes to imagine itself climbing around in trees, I guess is what it is.

I could see how even a whole separate X session with a different desktop would be useful in a similar way. For example, I used to remote to a server in my lab, even for things I could have done locally, just because I liked that separation.

olsztyn

I think I start seeing the point. Separation and organization around it. This could be implemented in different ways and a separate X session might be considered as one of such ways to do it.
                            Thanks for this perspective…

olsztyn

Hi anticapitalista,
                              You are running multiple desktops on ONE screen. What size screen do you have or do you just wear magnifying glasses<g>?

@stevesr0:
                              If you have not received a reply to this yet, I just want to clear some misunderstanding that may have crept in:
                              I believe that what anticapitalista meant by ‘one screen’ was not both desktops at the same time on the screen. Display of those desktops on the screen was switched via ‘Ctrl-Alt-Fn’, where on Ctrl-Alt-F1 was Herbstluftwm. So high resolution of the screen is not a factor here.
                              If my understanding is incorrect I do apologize…

A separate note in addition:
                              I still need to deeper analyze the article @Brian sent me in one of the preceding posts, which appears to show screenshots of two desktops being shown on the same screen at the same time. This entire subject is new to me so I still have no idea how to accomplish such thing as to show two desktops (on two TTYs?) on the same screen but it appears from the screenshots in that article that it might be possible after all?
                              Again, my thanks go to @Brian for sharing that article…

Edit 2:
                              In relation to whether it is possible to display two separate desktops on the same screen at the same time, which I would like to find out how to do it as shown in the screenshots of the aforementioned article:
                              In one of my preceding posts I indicated that I was able to start two desktops and see both on the screen at the same time however the second one was in a window of the first one. The first (original) desktop was Openbox and the second one was Enlightenment, which was started and showing in a window under openbox or fullscreen, whether in the same virtual desktop or another virtual desktop, which would make an appearance of being separate.
                              However this approach did not prove to be completely separate desktops. Although Enlightenment specific windows were contained within Enlightenment space, common apps were started and showing under Openbox therefore without separation of these two desktops.
                              Just to mention, although may not be relevant to the subject, neither IceWM nor JWM were starting successfully under Openbox in the same manner as Enlightenment…
                              So it seems I must dig deeper in Linux sources on how to accomplish what the author of the article @Brian sent me was showing in the screenshots…

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by olsztyn.

anti-apXos

Just to mention, although may not be relevant to the subject, neither IceWM nor JWM were starting successfully under Openbox in the same manner as Enlightenment…

I’m surprised it’s possible at all, though Enlightenment is pretty weird in a lot of ways, I guess. You can do this by running startx in a terminal window of your existing session rather than from a tty?

So it seems I must dig deeper in Linux sources on how to accomplish what the author of the article @Brian sent me was showing in the screenshots…

I think that’s not really a screenshot, but just a graphic they created to indicate having two desktops running.

One way it could be done, though, is using something like Xephyr, which allows you to create a new X display as a window within an existing one.

olsztyn

’m surprised it’s possible at all, though Enlightenment is pretty weird in a lot of ways, I guess. You can do this by running startx in a terminal window of your existing session rather than from a tty?

Yes. I am further testing. Just to be precise, I have not started Enlightenment from a terminal window but rather from the desktop menu using ‘Run’ menu option. Namely from ‘Run’ desktop menu item I executed:
                                  /usr/local/bin/desktop-session enlightenment
                                  This starts Enlightenment desktop in a window on Openbox desktop, along with completely functional Enlightenment components, such as bottom panel with app launcher and applets such as WiFi, which shows connected to WiFi, etc.
                                  Such window containing Enlightenment desktop can be made fullscreen or in a separate virtual desktop of Openbox.
                                  Menus and panel launcher of this Enlightenment desktop on Openbox screen seem to be fully functional, so apps can be started, settings performed, etc.

So in fact I have both Openbox/LXpanel desktop and Enlightenment desktop (In a window) on the same screen at the same time!

Such Openbox and Enlightenment on the same screen exhibits an interesting behavior:

– Apps specific to Enlightenment, such as Settings, WiFi networks, any Enlightenment functionality apps, are contained within Enlightenment window space.
                                  – However apps that are of common purpose, such as LXTask, LibreOffice, etc, started from Enlightenment menus or Enlightenment desktop launcher are not contained within the Enlightenment desktop window. Such apps are started on the common openbox/Enlightement screen instead of being contained within Enlightenment desktop window space.

Having described the above I should mention that starting IceWM or JWM in similar way as Enlightenment does not seem to work for me so far. It seems that executing:
                                  /usr/local/bin/desktop-session JWM from the ‘Run’ on desktop menu results in logoff from the main desktop session. I am still trying to identify where the issue might be, preventing me from starting JWM or IceWM in a window on Openbox desktop in similar way as Enlightenment…
                                  Of course all these desktops- Enlightenment, IceWM, JWM – can be started from TTY, but then none two of these could be displayed on the same screen simultaneously.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.