Lots of questions from a new user, please help

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Lots of questions from a new user, please help

This topic contains 46 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by kaye May 27-9:45 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    kaye

Hello Friends!

I hope you can help me with the following:

1. Why doesn’t my AntiX autoconnect to my wifi even after checking the box that says ‘Automatically connect to this network’?

2. On my laptop, why doesn’t AntiX remember the brightness level? I have to always go to Backlight Brightness everytime I log in. Also, pressing the keys Fn and up (or down) doesn’t work for adjusting brightness? And Fn and right (or left) arrow doesn’t work for adjusting sound?

3. Why can’t I reboot and poweroff by pressing Alt-F2 and typing reboot and poweroff? Is there no othe way except thru the Menu icon then Logout?

4. I cannot drag and drop files from SpaceFM to Gmail email composer. I can drop the file in the email content area, but not along the B I U A line (bold, italic, underline) below the content area. Please try it.

5. The file manager icon on the desktop screen, what is the name of that file manager? I find it not very useful.

6. Using SpaceFM, the left panel shows my hard drive’s partitions. Is it normal that I can’t access my other Linux distro partition, the Windows partition, and my personal files partition. I get this message when I try to access my personal files partition:
    udevil: denied 88: device /dev/sda5 is an internal device and you’re not root
    If I press Alt-F2 and type in: gksu spacefm , I still can’t (or don’t know how to) access said partitions.

7. What other file manager that’s lightweight and fast that I can install in AntiX? Is pcmanfm ok?

8. Is a 2Gb space enough for home partition if I don’t plan to save any personal files (videos, photos, etc.) on the home partition as I have a separate partition for those files? Please consider that I may install kdenlive, gimp, and blender. So basically my home partition would contain no personal files; even if there’s a Downloads, Desktop, Pictures, Videos folder in it, I won’t be putting any files in them.

9. In connection to number 8, is 28Gb enough for root partition? Considering I will install Gimp, kdenlive, and blender, and VLC player.

10. Can I edit the default panel to make it look how I want it? Where is it located? And can I do the same thing to other panels?

11. In the default panel, is the wifi icon purposely NOT shown? For what reason?

12. In the default panel, I see the numbers 1 and 2, these are the desktops, correct? How can I delete number 2 and just have 1?

13. Can I add a quick launch in the default panel?

14. In another distro, my quickest way to open terminal is Ctrl-Alt-T. This can’t be done in AntiX?

15. I noticed that AntiX comes with LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
    Is it because it’s more lightweight than newer versions?
    Would it cause problems for AntiX to remove it and install a newer, but not the latest, version? I did it with another distro by downloading the version and executing this command: sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    I downloaded the desired version here:
    http://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/

16. I noticed the grub screen has a background that is the default wallpaper of AntiX. Would I be able to change it to another wallpaper? And would I be able to change it to just plain colors (no pictures)?

17. Can the time in the default panel be changed to a different format? Like this: %a, %b %d, %Y (%l:%M:%S %p)

18. In my other distro I have put a CPU monitor on the panel, it lets me know the CPU temperature at glance. Can I do the same in AntiX?

19. In my liveUSB, why can I boot it with my laptop but not my desktop? In my desktop, I had to first log in to an installed distro in the hard drive, open gparted, then put a boot label on the liveUSB, and then I was able to boot the liveUSB in the desktop computer.

By the way, I’m not complaining. If the answer to most of these questions are negative, I would be ok with it. I want to learn AntiX.

Thank you very much for your time.

• This topic was modified 6 months ago by kaye.
    fatmac
    fatmac

I think you will find most of the answers to your questions in the FAQ.

http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-17/FAQ/index.html

As with all versions of Linux, you can change just about anything to how you want it.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

caprea
    caprea

Hi kaye, really a lot of questions. For what can’t be found in the FAQ, the Search Forums – box under Register on the right side of this forum works very well.
    I’ll try to answer some.
    6 You need to create a mount-point for the partitions
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-do-i-find-my-other-hdds/#post-20997

7.you can install pcman-fm with the package-installer, control-centre ->system ->package-installer ->File Managers
    Afaik, pcmanfm needs the gvfs-backends , which you should install, too

5.It’s rox-filer, you can easily switch to another desktop without it, by chosing from the menu Desktop-Alternative Desktops-IceWm

Many settings you can find in the control-centre, eg.
    12.control-centre ->icewm-settings . Go to the preferences-tab . There’s WorkspaceNames. Change it to WorkspaceNames=” 1 ”

Have fun !

Anonymous

Hiho Kaye, I don’t know what you already know and what not and you also didn’t say which Windows you’d like to access.

That’s why I’d like to issue one WARNING:

If/when you are mounting Windows 7 and UNDER (Vista, XP, 2000 …) there’s nothing special about to take care of.

However, if you attempt to access the partitions of Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10, you should know that:

You should NEVER auto-mount them, NEVER change the existing files (write/overwrite) and even better, not even open (read) the files

UNLESS

you realy made 101 % sure that the Windows is FULLY SHUTDOWN.

I wrote an answer (on another topic though) that explaines the problematics around shutdown here and here.

kaye

Many thanks to all who responded so far.
    Also, is it possible to install Brave browser in AntiX?
    Thank you.

kaye

Hiho Kaye, I don’t know what you already know and what not and you also didn’t say which Windows you’d like to access.

That’s why I’d like to issue one warning:

If/when you are mounting Windows 7 and UNDER (Vista, XP, 2000 …) ther’s nothing special about to take care of.

However, if you attempt to access the partitions of Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10, you should know that:

You should NEVER auto-mount them, NEVER change the existing files (write/overwrite) and even better, not even open (read) the files

UNLESS

you realy made 101 % sure that the Windows is FULLY SHUTDOWN.

I wrote an answer (on another topic though) that explaines the problematics around shutdown here and here.

Hello Friend, it’s Windows 7.

Anonymous

Then you’re fine out.

Because of Brave, I’d like to suggest to keep away from it … from any other web browser except Firefox and Google Chrome.

The intentions of Brave and co. are fine but, small teams can’t offer what they promise.

Brave versions are always based on older Chromium releases and the security
    holes are getting closed too slow.

If you speak German, I could provide you a link to high-quality, professional document on how to make a ‘Fortress’
    out of Firefox and make it much more secure and ‘privacy aware’ then Brave will ever be.

kaye

Then you’re fine out.

If you speak German, I could provide you a link to high-quality, professional document on how to make a ‘Fortress’
    out of Firefox and make it much more secure and ‘privacy aware’ then Brave will ever be.

Unfortunately I can’t speak the language haha

skidoo

3. Why can’t I reboot and poweroff by pressing Alt-F2 and typing reboot and poweroff? Is there no othe way except thru the Menu icon then Logout?

it’s not something I would typically do, but FWIW I just now test… and this works

Press Alt+F2
    type “halt” (noquotes)
    checkmark “Run as root”
    Click OK

Also tested “reboot” via the above, which was also successful

skidoo

18. In my other distro I have put a CPU monitor on the panel, it lets me know the CPU temperature at glance. Can I do the same in AntiX?

Instead of on the panel, I would (I do) install “gkrellm” package.

If you install the “psensor” package, it will provide an icon in the tray (does not display temp readout there in panel). Also, conky is wildly configurable ~~ you could configure it to display at-a-glance temps (but, as mentioned above, I prefer to “glance at” gkrellm)

ps:
    From your list, I don’t find any showtoppers (negatives//roadbolocks). As mentioned in an earlier post, answers to most of the listed questions are readily available via the FAQ and by searching prior discussions.

How big should root and home partitions be? Your proposed estimates should be fine, might be fine, I don’t know. For me, 28Gb + 2Gb would be way more than I typically need, but I’ve removed LibreOffice, I don’t have blender installed…

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by skidoo.
    wolfen
    wolfen

Hi, Kaye.

As someone said, there’s plenty of documentation in the antiX FAQ, this forum and elsewhere related to your questions, try your-default-search-engine-ing some. Anyway, I’ll try to give you some answers based on my own experience.

1. Why doesn’t my AntiX autoconnect to my wifi even after checking the box that says ‘Automatically connect to this network’?

Which network client are you using? Ceni is automatically connecting at each and every boot for me… Try that if Wicd or else is giving you trouble. Ceni seems to be bulletproof and very lightweight, by the way. 🙂

2. On my laptop, why doesn’t AntiX remember the brightness level? I have to always go to Backlight Brightness everytime I log in. Also, pressing the keys Fn and up (or down) doesn’t work for adjusting brightness? And Fn and right (or left) arrow doesn’t work for adjusting sound?

Same here for brightness level. I just added a backlight-brightness icon shortcut in the toolbar, and change brightness when needed from there. Anyway, you can try what is suggested here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backlight. For sound adjusting by Fn+Up or Dwn Keys, try right clicking on the volume icon/Preferences, and check Hotkeys; that did the trick for me.

9. In connection to number 8, is 28Gb enough for root partition? Considering I will install Gimp, kdenlive, and blender, and VLC player.

I dare say it will be more than enough. I do indeed save some heavy files (movies, music, PDFs and so on) in my HD, installed some more stuff (browsers, VLC, even tried a couple DEs)… So my main home is 13 Gb, and the whole partition is about 18 Gb; do the math. 🙂

10. Can I edit the default panel to make it look how I want it? Where is it located? And can I do the same thing to other panels?

Sure you can… It depends on the desktop you will be using, but icewm at least has a rather customizable toolbar. But you’ll have to do that manually, mostly… The config file is located at /home/youruser/.icewm/toolbar . You can access the different desktop custom files by way of Control Center/Desktop, or just locate them via SpaceFM or else; they’re all hidden at the right place in your /home folder.

11. In the default panel, is the wifi icon purposely NOT shown? For what reason?

I dare say there’s no need for that icon… Conky gives you enough info about your connection activity, and once you’re connected, what else do you need? 😉

Of course, all the ones you need. As I said before, check the config files depending on the desktop you’re working at. I think once you see how the ones already visible are written, it’s kind of easy adding new ones. But ask if you can’t figure it out. 🙂

14. In another distro, my quickest way to open terminal is Ctrl-Alt-T. This can’t be done in AntiX?

You can configure a lot of keyboard shortcuts. There’s plenty pre-configured but “commented”, e. g., in ~.icewm/keys . Uncomment (erase the # before that line) in
    #key "Ctrl+Alt+t" desktop-defaults-run -t
    to open your terminal with that -or change the keys if it suits you- keys.

16. I noticed the grub screen has a background that is the default wallpaper of AntiX. Would I be able to change it to another wallpaper? And would I be able to change it to just plain colors (no pictures)?

I haven’t, but did you try Control Center/Session/Set Grub boot image ? 🙂

I hope some of the above can be useful to you. Anyway, I think this is a really great distro and deserves a try: bulletproof stability, really lightweight and fast. Enjoy, cheers!

skidoo

Same here for brightness level. I just added a backlight-brightness icon shortcut in the toolbar, and change brightness when needed from there. Anyway, you can try what is suggested here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backlight. For sound adjusting by Fn+Up or Dwn Keys, try right clicking on the volume icon/Preferences, and check Hotkeys; that did the trick for me.

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

Most likely because you are using wicd but did not enable the wicd startup service.

2. On my laptop, why doesn’t AntiX remember the brightness level?

Because that feature does not exist in Debian Stretch. It was added to Debian Buster and will be available in antiX-19. In the meantime, you can edit ~/.desktop-session/startup and add the line:
    backlight-brightness --set XX
    where XX is the brightness level you want.

Again, this could happen if you use wicd but don’t enable the wicd service.

19. In my liveUSB, why can I boot it with my laptop but not my desktop? In my desktop, I had to first log in to an installed distro in the hard drive, open gparted, then put a boot label on the liveUSB, and then I was able to boot the liveUSB in the desktop computer.

How did you make the antiX live-usb? Also do you mean boot *flag* not boot *label*. Live-usbs made with our live-usb maker have a “boot” flag on the main partition for legacy booting and a “esp” flag on a small fat32 partition for UEFI booting. If your live-usb was not made with live-usb-maker then I suggest you boot it, plug in a 2nd usb stick, run live-usb-maker and select clone made. This will make a copy of your live system on the new stick with all of our groovy features available.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

Anonymous

I’ll try to answer you a couple of questions … I regrouped your questions so it makes more sense and makes it easier to answer.

15. I noticed that AntiX comes with LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
    Is it because it’s more lightweight than newer versions?

It’s because antiX is based on Debian and Debian is renown as ‘very stable’.
    Very stable == well tested == testing needs time == the world is on version 12 and you’re still at version 3 (exagerated)
    But of course, you can install the newer versions that you’ve downloaded from another sources.

WiFi is not shown in taskbar by purpose.
    Big majority of people are not changing their WiFi connection couple of times per day but, ‘set it and forget it’.
    The status of WiFi (as well as CPU status and some other things) is shown on the dasktop by Conky application.

Regarding the WiFi (Wicd) autoconnection and the icon on the taskbar, you’ll find, easy to follow guide here:

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/set-wifi-automatic/#post-21489

12. In the default panel, I see the numbers 1 and 2, these are the desktops, correct? How can I delete number 2 and just have 1?
    17. Can the time in the default panel be changed to a different format? Like this: %a, %b %d, %Y (%l:%M:%S %p)

You can easily edit your panel and make it look (almost) anything you want.

Regarding ‘deleting Numbers 1 / 2’ (either you’d like to keep both numbers or you’d like to remove the ‘1’ too; what’s the sense of Nr. 1 showing you the ONLY desktop???), setting default time format and CPU monitor on the taskbar, please check the 1st and 2nd screenshot.

1. Go to the Settings (“Control Centre”)

2. Choose “Edit IceWM Settings”

3. A couple of configuration files will open in “Geany” text editor.

Under the “preferences” tab, you’ll find the options to change the clock formating, enable/disable CPU monitor and show/hide ‘Numbers’ (beside some other options) or choose what/how should be displayed.

To ‘turn ON’ –> set to ‘1’ [true]
    To ‘turn OFF’ –> set to ‘0’ [false]

Yes, you can edit quick launchers on the toolbar to your liking. (3rd screenshot)

Since you already have the IceWM settings open in Geany, just change to the “toolbar” tab.

Setting ‘#’ in front of one line will disable one line (== one launcher); removing it, will unhide the launcher (activate, make visible)

The format of those ‘text lines’ is as folowing:

prog ‘ANY_NAME_YOU_WANT’ ‘/PATH/TO/THE/ICON.png’ ‘COMMAND’

Settings panel also has different tabs. Check the “Session” tab.

That’s where you’ll find “Set Groob Boot Image (jpg only)”.

For a monochrome background, you can make yourself a JPEG image, 1×1 Px size in any desired color and let it stretch (better) or repeat (works too, but not recomended).

Have fun!

Koo
    Koo

@ kaye

The easiest way to setup auto wifi with antiX That I use.

open antiX Control Centre > Network > Network Interfaces(Ceni) on opening use down arrow key for wlan1 press enter configure wlan1. Then scan after the scan just select your wifi name a new screen will open just enter your password in the box Preshared Key then press Accept thats it. If you have no more keys to add just exit.

You may need to reboot. Hope this helps you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.