Lots of questions from a new user, please help

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Lots of questions from a new user, please help

This topic contains 46 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by kaye May 27-9:45 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Ceni works fine though but, if you’re ‘on the go’ with your Laptop and have to change your WiFi settings a couple of times per day, then it gets a little bit annoying and less comfortable then Wicd.

However, it always comes to use case.

fatmac
    fatmac

I think 28GB for the root partition is excessive, personally, I use about 7~8GB, & have Gimp, Openshot, Audacity, Muse Score, etc, with room to spare.

What I do suggest is that you have your /home on a separate partition, makes it easy to upgrade later.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

PPC

Hi! I guess this are the only questions that still don’t have answers:

Q 4. I cannot drag and drop files from SpaceFM to Gmail email composer. I can drop the file in the email content area, but not along the B I U A line (bold, italic, underline) below the content area. Please try it.
    A: Sorry I don’t quite understand your problem, because I use the simpler Gmail web page, and I load attachments from firefox “menu” and not via drag and drop. But I may suggest that you try using Google Chrome and see if that way it works as intended…

Q 6: someone already offered a fix for that, I advise you to do that.
    I, because I rarely use my ntfs partition in netbook, that shows me the same error, choose to mount the partition via the terminal (in your case try “sudo mount /dev/sda5”). That only mounts the partition until you restart antiX.
    Complicated work around (don’t try this, bit knowing you can use spacefm this way can be handy)- You can run this in a more friently way by using SpaceFM via root and→ Tools → New command → chosing a name ex: “mount drive sda” and then the command. Now everytime you open root SpaceFm, it’s tools menu has the option “mount drive sda”

Q 15. I noticed that AntiX comes with LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
    Is it because it’s more lightweight than newer versions?
    Would it cause problems for AntiX to remove it and install a newer, but not the latest, version? I did it with another distro by downloading the version and executing this command: sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    I downloaded the desired version here:
    http://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/
    A: Please wait a bit more, antix 19, currently on (a very stable) alpha comes with LibreOffice 6.X. Or you can run a appimage LibreOffice for the version you want over from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/appimage/ on the current antiX version you have.

Welcome to antiX. If you have antique harware, it’s the best Os available for you, well worth the small learning curve to find out how to do stuff like adding quick lunch icons…
    For a bit more powerfull machines (with at least 2 Gb of ram), feel free to try MX linux, it’s partialy based in antiX, but a bit more user friendly with it’s XFCE Desktop enviroment.
    I use both OS in differnt machines. I tweaked my antiX a bit to make it look almost like MX (yes you can do that)

Some generic advice related to the Desktop options antiX offers – in the “menu – desktop – other desktops” you have many options. I read what they all mean after starting using antiX, but it took a while to sink in…
    In short- there are 3 Desktops (Window Managers) that antiX provides Out of the Box: ICEWM, Fluxbox and JWM. There are a lot more than these 3 options because: to provide desktop images/Icons they all need to use other programs, in antiX case the file managers ROX (uses less RAM) or SpaceFM (looks more like a “usual” file manager). When you want to use the lightest DE possible use the minimum “Min” version- you don’t even get, for example, icons near the clock. That’s what this prefixes mean in the desktop window manager’s names…

P.

Edit: thanks to noclue, I used the correct expressions: IceWM, Fluxbox and JWM are really not Desktop Enviroments

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by PPC.
    • This reply was modified 6 months ago by PPC.
    Anonymous

Just as a minor (but important nitpick) side note:

In short- the Desktop Environments (DE’s) that antix provides …

antiX provides 0 (zero; none) Desktop Environments.

IceWM, Fluxbox and JWM are WM’s.

Gnome and KDE are DE’s.

https://www.ghacks.net/2008/12/09/get-to-know-linux-desktop-environment-vs-window-manager/

kaye

I’m learning very fast because of you guys, I can’t thank you enough!!! I’ll mark this thread as solved once I’ve learned all you guys taught me. Cheers!

kaye

Hey guys,

2.1 TaskBarShowCPUStatus=1 does not show the temperature of the CPU, like the Core 0 and Core 1 thing that psensor shows.
    CPUStatusShowAcpiTemp = 1 as well as ColorCPUStatusTemp = "rgb:60/60/C0" don’t seem to help.
    I’m content with using psensor though.

2.2 There’s a program that I downloaded which is a tar.xz file. I right-click it, open with Archive Manager, extract the folder inside to the same directory as the tar.xz file, and then went on to execute the program which is inside that folder.

tar.xz –> folder –> executable file

I get this message:

Failed to add a plugin to the panel. No running instance of Xfce4-panel was found.

I get that message regardless if I’m in IceWM (window manager) or Xfce (desktop environment).

I tried to delete /home/user/.cache but no luck.

2.3 Also, what does this mean? ColorDefaultTaskBar="rgb:C0/C0/C0"
    Does taskbar mean panel, where the sound icon and menu icon is located?
    I looked up C0C0C0 in GIMP, it shows a gray color. The color of the default panel is also gray, but with a gradient effect. If I change C0/C0/C0 to 00/00/ff, why doesn’t anything happen?

Thank you very much.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by kaye.
    BobC

I have ACPI Temp turned on in preferences on mine, but I have noticed that it doesn’t work for all CPU’s.

On this machine I have added acpitail and acpitool, just in case those might be fixing it, but don’t see that would cause it.

Try inxi -Fxz from a terminal and see what it says for temps under Sensors:

Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 62 C
    Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A

caprea
    caprea

To show the cpu-temps in conky I have these two lines in the /.conkyrc on my laptop with dual-core.

${color}CPU Temp:${alignr} \${color orange}\${exec sensors|grep 'Core 0'|awk '{print $3}'|sed 's/\xC2//g'|sed 's/\xb0//g'}/${color}/
    ${color}CPU Temp:${alignr} \${color orange}\${exec sensors|grep 'Core 1'|awk '{print $3}'|sed 's/\xC2//g'|sed 's/\xb0//g'}/${color}/

Maybe you want to try it.

Xecure
    Xecure

Hey guys,

2.2 There’s a program that I downloaded which is a tar.xz file. I right-click it, open with Archive Manager, extract the folder inside to the same directory as the tar.xz file, and then went on to execute the program which is inside that folder.

I get this message:

Failed to add a plugin to the panel. No running instance of Xfce4-panel was found.

I get that message regardless if I’m in IceWM (window manager) or Xfce (desktop environment).

This happened to me recently.
    Reproducibility: Tested on my installed antiX 17.4, on Live 17.4 and live 19.alpha
    1. Install xfce4-panel (through terminal or synaptic), but don’t activate/run it.
    2. Use SpaceFM as File Manager.
    3. Open an executable, like a .desktop file, and the error appears.
    3.b If instead of directly “opening” the exec file you right click it, and go to open options, you will see that one of the top options says “Create Launcher on the panel”.
    3.c If right clicking, selection Open option and selecting “Choose…” you will see that the “Associated Apps” tab contains the option “Create Launcher on the panel”.

So, this is the behavior you will observe if using SpaceFM as File Manager. You will not see this happen when using ROX file manager.
    If you run the xfce4-panel, this error will be replaced with a menu asking you if you want to add this executable to the panel as a launcher.

Solutions:
    a) Tested: Right click the executable and choose how to open it with the Open option.
    b) Not tested: Somehow change the Default program to run these executables. “Create Launcher on the panel” is found in /usr/share/applications/panel-desktop-handler.desktop . I really am not advanced enough to know how to change this default for SpaceFM. You could get root privileges and change the action this file handles.
    c) Tested: Use a different File Manager (like ROX).
    c) Tested: Uninstall xfce4-panel if you do not really use this panel.

I was testing out stuff when this happened to me, so I didn’t care at all uninstalling xfce4-panel using Synaptic. Once it is uninstalled, this error will not show up when using SpaceFM.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by Xecure.
    Xecure
    Xecure

This happened to me recently.
    Reproducibility: Tested on my installed antiX 17.4, on Live 17.4 and live 19.alpha
    1. Install xfce4-panel (through terminal or synaptic), but don’t activate/run it.
    2. Use SpaceFM as File Manager.
    3. Open an executable, like a .desktop file, and the error appears.
    3.b If instead of directly “opening” the exec file you right click it, and go to open options, you will see that one of the top options says “Create Launcher on the panel”.
    3.c If right clicking, selection Open option and selecting “Choose…” you will see that the “Associated Apps” tab contains the option “Create Launcher on the panel”.

So, this is the behavior you will observe if using SpaceFM as File Manager. You will not see this happen when using ROX file manager.
    If you run the xfce4-panel, this error will be replaced with a menu asking you if you want to add this executable to the panel as a launcher.

Solutions:
    a) Tested: Right click the executable and choose how to open it with the Open option.
    b) Not tested: Somehow change the Default program to run these executables. “Create Launcher on the panel” is found in /usr/share/applications/panel-desktop-handler.desktop . I really am not advanced enough to know how to change this default for SpaceFM. You could get root privileges and change the action this file handles.
    c) Tested: Use a different File Manager (like ROX).
    c) Tested: Uninstall xfce4-panel if you do not really use this panel.

I was testing out stuff when this happened to me, so I didn’t care at all uninstalling xfce4-panel using Synaptic. Once it is uninstalled, this error will not show up when using SpaceFM.

BobC

Xecure, I think you should start a separate thread for your issue.

Xecure
    Xecure

Sorry for the confusion, BobC. I was traying to answer one of kaye’s question but while editing i forgot to quote.

I get this message:

This error happens when xfce4-panel is installed but not active, only for SpaceFM file manager.
    The solutions proposed can be summarized to: a) Use a different file manager, b) Uninstall xfce4-panel.

Sorry for the confusion. I will try to restrain my blabbering.

BobC

LOL, that’s a hoot. Sorry, I thought you were adding more questions.

Having many times installed things on top of other things that weren’t tested to work together, I can say that what I learned is that in the long run, you are better off automating the process so that you can quickly and repeat-ably get things to a known good point just before where the problems begin. That won’t always solve it, but it will reduce the effort to where you are spending the time focusing on the problem that really needs to be solved.

LOL, I guess I’ll try to remember your solution when I hit it myself someday…

Anonymous

2.3 Also, what does this mean? ColorDefaultTaskBar=”rgb:C0/C0/C0″
    I looked up C0C0C0 in GIMP, it shows a gray color. The color of the default panel is also gray, but with a gradient effect. If I change C0/C0/C0 to 00/00/ff, why doesn’t anything happen?

Different programs use different frameworks for programming and they sometimes use different ways to ‘say’/write the same:

ColorDefaultTaskBar="rgb:C0/C0/C0"

‘rgb:C0/C0/C0’ is just another way to write ‘#c0c0c0’, ‘rgb: 192/192/192’, ‘hsl: 0.00/0.00/0.75′ … (==’silver’).

‘ColorDefaultTaskBar’ is the color of the toolbar / task-panel (the ‘panel, where the sound icon and menu icon is located’).

“If I change C0/C0/C0 to 00/00/ff, why doesn’t anything happen?”

My theory is (see disclaimer!) that you are editing the default values of the default theme and they DID change but, you CAN’T see that change because you’re probably currently using another theme atop of it.

If done properly, the colors will change.

Let me explain:

Usually you start at the beginning — with some default settings.

‘Default’ means, you have nothing but one ‘descriptor’ file which ‘decides’ how the task bar will look like.

But … antiX has a couple of themes preinstalled.

Those themes act as an overlay, covering what’s underneath or ‘overwriting’ the default settings.

Since ‘the default’ comes first and then the other themes follow, you can’t see the changes you did, because you did the changes on a default theme itself (which is under the one you can see) but, not in the theme you’re currently using (which is above; the colour scheme of the theme is covering the default which you’re editing).

https://www.colorhexa.com/
    https://www.color-hex.com/

Additionally, there are also different configuration files: global & personal, so it could also be the reason for not seeing the change.

Disclaimer:

DON’T take it for granted. I DIDN’T try it in practice but, it seems to be very probable explanation.

skidoo

what does this mean? ColorDefaultTaskBar=”rgb:C0/C0/C0″

Yes, in iceWM lingo, taskbar ~= panel.
    Here’s an online iceWM manual where you can quickly lookup (browser Ctrl+F find) the definitions, explanations, for most if not all of the iceWM configuration items.

ice-wm.org/manual/

^—- I haven’t checked, details shown in that manual may not EXACTLY match the version of iceWM shipped in antiX. (The previous site providing documentation for the older version was “icewm.org” which is now defunct.)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.