LX-antiX 22 – iMac (Early 2009) – Loading initial ramdisk hang

Forum Forums General Other Distros LX-antiX 22 – iMac (Early 2009) – Loading initial ramdisk hang

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated Sep 1-7:12 am by abc-nix.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    SCAZcast

I’ve dabbled in puppy , kali , ubuntu, hackintosh over the years but this was likely the first time getting a ( for the most part ) complete working system. The end user just wanted a useable machine and their photos back since apple disabled iphoto and other macos ecosystem apps. It had expired certs so browsing any site was flagged but even after fixing el capitan was still a bad choice even with other browsers. So I settled on LXDE AntiX and it runs great after about x5 installs to get things working. I stupidly transferred the 300gb of user files onto an ntfs SSD and had issues mounting the partition , i got really close after adding the partUUID ( after changing the uuid) but the 16mb fat32 reserved partition was causing issues with mounting sdc2, error seemed to indicate I should possibly somehow add the disc identifier to the .conf file instead of the partUUID. I ended up transferring the files over the network via smb1 to get the files on there. I had issues with bcm43 re-blacklisting every reboot only to be fixed by code despite one line getting flagged

# wl module from Broadcom conflicts with the following modules:
      #blacklist b43
      #blacklist b43legacy
      #blacklist b44
      #blacklist bcma
      #blacklist brcm80211
      #blacklist brcmsmac
      #blacklist ssb
      in my etc/modprobe.d//broadcom-sta-dkms.conf

I also seem to have issues installing the newest nvidia driver but the one that installs by default plays 1080p youtube with only minor screen tearing. The one issue i could not fix despite trying most of the fixes was boot hang at Loading initial ramdisk but this cmd that looked promising did not work:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”dis_ucode_ldr” in /etc/default/grub.

Did not fix the issue. I went to reboot the machine and after tapping the power button it booted into the newer kernel ( i could always boot into the older kernel ). See video

http://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q7gJBkvKVB7YduzXhbUYJ_PEk6rYkBbe/view

I know this config is not perfect but it can do everything the end user needs it to, mainly getting their 200gb of photos back. I had issues with digikam crashing importing but figured out that was a known metadata issue, turned off metadata but the files being from an iphoto library has tons of subfolders so darktable it is. Finally got a slightly older version of itunes 32 bi working in wine, hopefully the end user will be able to pair apple account without issue.I also installed kodi. I’m actually going to create a live usb and attempt to plop the same config on another imac at some point , a friend has one. Any idea what would cause the boot hang, i think its microcode related. I attempted to update the bios but apple makes it really tough to discern what firmware is for what model with their odd name scheme ( early 2009 pfft) and no longer having macos i was not sure how to run the patched tool. The partition table is GPT so its a UEFI install which i figured if anything would run faster then mbr.

abc-nix

Did not fix the issue. I went to reboot the machine and after tapping the power button it booted into the newer kernel ( i could always boot into the older kernel )

If the newer kernel is giving you problems, remove it and use the older one. You can try experimenting by install different kernels and advance-boot into them (4.19 kernel, 5.10, 6.1, the Debian LTS one, etc) and see if the long delay mounting the initramdisk is fixed. It is time-consuming, but it is the only way to test how well they perform (maybe some post somewhere has a better recommendation). Remember older nvidia drivers dkms may have problems with the newest of kernels.

If you want the ntfs partition to automount when connected add it to fstab. NTFS partitions mount for me as Root, but I try to avoid them.

I also seem to have issues installing the newest nvidia driver but the one that installs by default plays 1080p youtube with only minor screen tearing.

I think the newest nvidia driver compatible with your GPU is the 340xx driver, so that should be good.
        Related to the screen tearing, a quick search in the antiX forum gave me this result:

It’s probably not nessecary to install a compositor, for the screen-tearing you can try, open the nvidia-settings GUI
        nvidia-settings
        Go to “X Server Display Configuration”

Click on the “Advanced” button and mark the box “Force Composition Pipeline”
        Click on “Apply”

If this works for you, you can make it permanent by saving it to the X configuration file.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.