LXDE desktop locale environment translations problems

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions LXDE desktop locale environment translations problems

Tagged: , , ,

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jul 7-2:59 pm by masinick.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi to all, i’m newbie in Linux and want ask for help. When i start LXDE with different language ru_RU.utf8, LXDE looks like square with numbers. How can i solve this problem?
    I install Antix core to Vbox environment through cli-installer and upgrade system packages

$ apt-get update
    $ apt-get upgrade

, then install LXDE
    sudo apt-get install xorg lightdm lxde synaptic

when LXDE loading, in en_US.utf8 it looks very good, no different interface symbols.
    only one locale configured

dpkg-reconfigure locales
    dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

Did you choose the ru_RU.UTF-8 locale before you installed LXDE? If not, then purge LXDE, set proper locale, then install LXDE back. AFAIK, LXDE choose its language by current locale while installing.

XecureXecure

For lightdm, I think you are missing cyrilic fonts. Try
    sudo apt install fonts-ubuntu
    It is the fonts for default in antiX and I think lightdm defaults to these fonts when it cannot find special character letters.

Did you choose the ru_RU.UTF-8 locale before you installed LXDE? If not, then purge LXDE, set proper locale, then install LXDE back. AFAIK, LXDE choose its language by current locale while installing.

I try to install with en_US and ru_RU languages, from cli-installer. Nothing changes. With EN locale it looks very good, but changing locale looks like that annoying squares.

For lightdm, I think you are missing cyrilic fonts. Try
    sudo apt install fonts-ubuntu
    It is the fonts for default in antiX and I think lightdm defaults to these fonts when it cannot find special character letters.

I’ll try when I’m at home. Thank you in advance for your help

Never tried this method, it should be useful.

To set the Russian locale as default run the following command in console:
    sudo update-locale LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8

OK, don’t know why, but Xecure’s solution works – try to install Ubuntu fonts, then purge LXDE, reboot PC, then it looks like:
    Maybe AR’s solution too, because i inattentively read message about the complete removal of LXDE.
    But funny moment is console language broken))), after reboot terminal not remember language setup and start with only EN lang, without understanding RU.
    OK – finally find:

dpkg-reconfigure locales
    dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
    dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

«Cyrillic — Slavic languages (also Bosnian and Serbian Latin)»

After that reboot Vbox, ru lang in LXDE and ru lang in console.
    Thanks all for your help. It works!

Now – i need to learn how to configure linux from basic core.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by -Alex-.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by -Alex-.
    masinickmasinick

Happy to hear that the solution works for you!

Enjoy!

Brian Masinick

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.