MacbookPro8,1 13 2011 keyboard backlit

Forum Forums General Hardware MacbookPro8,1 13 2011 keyboard backlit

• This topic has 18 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated May 14-7:26 pm by hobs0n.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn

When I implemented this script solution on an old MacBook Pro model A1502 I wasnt even aware that xfce power manager could solve the problem.

I did not know either, until @vita_cell pointed out earlier in this thread that a simple installation of XFCE Power Manager, no special configuration needed, does automatically enable keyboard highlight control using standard keys.
      So far that is the way I enabled this function on my MacBooks, although it would be interesting how to save any memory footprint using the method you described, just a question how to avoid sudo seems outstanding…
      Having driven from the West coast to East coast, across the USA, now I am flying to Europe in a week for a long vacation there so I do not think I will spend much time to dig much further into an optimal choice though…

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by olsztyn.
      • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

anti-apXos

although it would be interesting how to save any memory footprint using the method you described, just a question how to avoid sudo seems outstanding…

I think @blur13’s suggestion of adding the filename to sudoers won’t work, but you could add ‘tee’ like this:

%sudo ALL=(root) NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/tee

That will have a wider effect, though, so ‘sudo tee’ will never require a password to rewrite any file.

Another option is to use udev rules to change the permissions for the kbd_backlight file. This is what’s already done to allow users access for changing the screen backlight, so it makes sense to do the same for keyboard backlight.

Add a file, perhaps called 90-backlight-kbd.rules, to /etc/udev/rules.d with the following lines:

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="leds", KERNEL="*kbd_backlight", RUN+="/bin/chgrp video /sys/class/leds/%k/brightness"
        ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="leds", KERNEL="*kbd_backlight", RUN+="/bin/chmod g+w /sys/class/leds/%k/brightness"

This will require a restart to take effect, but should mean that regular users (who are members of the “video” group) can change the backlight simply without needing to use sudo, with or without password.

olsztyn

Thank you @anti-apXos…
          Looks like some more options to look at…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

hobs0n

Thanks for all the answers and solutions. I will try ant test them when I have the time and mental strength to try them 😉

MacBook Pro 2013, Huawei P20, Muay Thai, climbing trees and playing with my daughter is the fun stuff!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.