Make Anti-X out of antiX

Forum Forums General Polls Make Anti-X out of antiX

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by seaken64 Aug 6-12:37 pm.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Just for fun. 🙂

That way antiX would become a “real antiX” and not just anti(~capitalista)X. 😉

http://www.xfree86.org/releases/rel480.html

Or something like Metisse:

http://insitu.lri.fr/metisse/

Just don´t ask ME how. 😉

🙂 🙂 🙂

dski

I am in favor of a name change, and I feel that a name should always start with a capital letter, but I cannot endorse “Anti-X.”

“Anti-X” suggests even more strongly than “antiX” (1) a pronunciation like “ann-tee EX” (when in fact the intended pronunciation of “antiX” is “ANN-ticks”) and (2) a stance in opposition to the X Window System (when in fact many of us use antiX because we prefer X to the alternatives).

A name that requires as much explanation as “antiX” is a burden. I hesitate to mention it in discussions of my computing choices. It also creates an “in crowd” of those who know its rationale and pronunciation. There’s already too much of that in the world of Unix-like systems.

(I never associated “antiX” with “anticapitalista,” but such a connection only deepens the sense of an inner circle enjoying a private joke.)

Finally, any name that can be taken to imply being against this or that can be a hindrance to wider acceptance. If it is possible to present oneself as being for or “pro” something, that is preferable.

While I’m not much of a pro in either sense of the word, I can offer a few suggestions that might get people thinking along lines that will lead to a good choice:

Xlim (pronounced “slim”) Linux; Eureka Linux; Leanix; Euphorix; LFTM (Linux for the Masses); LM Linux (Lean and Mean Linux; too bad “L&M” is taken); LAYLI (Linux as You Like It, or maybe Laylix or LayliX, implying that it is for laypeople)….

Dan Strychalski
    Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by dski.

ONE COMPANY called bean curd tofu, and we all followed suit. ONE COMPANY decided that line height should be called leading, and we all went along. ONE COMPANY decided that Ctrl belongs below left Shift, and we now consider that standard. We are a sorry lot.

noClue
    noClue

antiX … an tiX … an terribly implemented eXperiment? 😉 🙂

One can play forever and ever … 🙂

But … all your proposals are somehow … also terrible … except for one:

Leanx … LEE-N-KS … Leanx pairEd with Links IS lean. 😉

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

BobC

antiX … an tiX … an terribly implemented eXperiment?

I don’t agree.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

I try and live life with a breeze in my face.
    Always trying to stay in motion.
    Where no one can touch me.

Waving at sheeple sometimes on a sunny day.

antiX fits that kind of mind set quite nicely for me.
    That is how I roll for fun.
    Admin note: Deleted accidental double post .

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

skidoo

that way antiX would become a “real antiX”

amommymouse, your wish is already granted. Just install the antiX core edition.
    Thank you, please drive thru

I am in favor of a name change, and I feel that a name should always start with a capital letter

Thanks for sharing.
    When you create a fork of the distro, you can name it to start with a capital letter.

Leanx … LEE-N-KS … Leanx paird with Links IS lean.

paired
    (giggle, trolling the troll)
    You much many english is be improving but still is practice to make perfect ok bye

noClue
    noClue

I already missed you skidoo! 😉 🙂
    (trolllol, giggling the giggler)

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

seaken64

Just for fun.

That way antiX would become a “real antiX” and not just anti(~capitalista)X.

http://www.xfree86.org/releases/rel480.html

Or something like Metisse:

http://insitu.lri.fr/metisse/

Just don´t ask ME how.

You lost me. Isn’t antiX a real antiX? The links didn’t help me sort it out.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by seaken64.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.