Make Anti-X out of antiX

Forum Forums General Polls Make Anti-X out of antiX

• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated Dec 10-10:19 am by masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Just for fun. 🙂

That way antiX would become a “real antiX” and not just anti(~capitalista)X. 😉

http://www.xfree86.org/releases/rel480.html

Or something like Metisse:

http://insitu.lri.fr/metisse/

Just don´t ask ME how. 😉

🙂 🙂 🙂

I am in favor of a name change, and I feel that a name should always start with a capital letter, but I cannot endorse “Anti-X.”

“Anti-X” suggests even more strongly than “antiX” (1) a pronunciation like “ann-tee EX” (when in fact the intended pronunciation of “antiX” is “ANN-ticks”) and (2) a stance in opposition to the X Window System (when in fact many of us use antiX because we prefer X to the alternatives).

A name that requires as much explanation as “antiX” is a burden. I hesitate to mention it in discussions of my computing choices. It also creates an “in crowd” of those who know its rationale and pronunciation. There’s already too much of that in the world of Unix-like systems.

(I never associated “antiX” with “anticapitalista,” but such a connection only deepens the sense of an inner circle enjoying a private joke.)

Finally, any name that can be taken to imply being against this or that can be a hindrance to wider acceptance. If it is possible to present oneself as being for or “pro” something, that is preferable.

While I’m not much of a pro in either sense of the word, I can offer a few suggestions that might get people thinking along lines that will lead to a good choice:

Xlim (pronounced “slim”) Linux; Eureka Linux; Leanix; Euphorix; LFTM (Linux for the Masses); LM Linux (Lean and Mean Linux; too bad “L&M” is taken); LAYLI (Linux as You Like It, or maybe Laylix or LayliX, implying that it is for laypeople)….

Dan Strychalski
    Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by dski.

On the Mac, Ctrl didn't exist; in Windows, Ctrl-A through Ctrl-Z did virtually nothing. From 1985 on, the choice was clear: you could get the full benefit of the most basic standard of computing, or you could use a GUI and a crippled keyboard and become this or that vendor's slave. I chose WordStar. LIVE FREE OR DIE.

antiX … an tiX … an terribly implemented eXperiment? 😉 🙂

One can play forever and ever … 🙂

But … all your proposals are somehow … also terrible … except for one:

Leanx … LEE-N-KS … Leanx pairEd with Links IS lean. 😉

antiX … an tiX … an terribly implemented eXperiment?

I don’t agree.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

I try and live life with a breeze in my face.
    Always trying to stay in motion.
    Where no one can touch me.

Waving at sheeple sometimes on a sunny day.

antiX fits that kind of mind set quite nicely for me.
    That is how I roll for fun.
    Admin note: Deleted accidental double post .

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

that way antiX would become a “real antiX”

amommymouse, your wish is already granted. Just install the antiX core edition.
    Thank you, please drive thru

I am in favor of a name change, and I feel that a name should always start with a capital letter

Thanks for sharing.
    When you create a fork of the distro, you can name it to start with a capital letter.

Leanx … LEE-N-KS … Leanx paird with Links IS lean.

paired
    (giggle, trolling the troll)
    You much many english is be improving but still is practice to make perfect ok bye

I already missed you skidoo! 😉 🙂
    (trolllol, giggling the giggler)

Just for fun.

That way antiX would become a “real antiX” and not just anti(~capitalista)X.

http://www.xfree86.org/releases/rel480.html

Or something like Metisse:

http://insitu.lri.fr/metisse/

Just don´t ask ME how.

You lost me. Isn’t antiX a real antiX? The links didn’t help me sort it out.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by seaken64.
    nuggetnugget

when in fact the intended pronunciation of “antiX” is “ANN-ticks”

maybe a fork could be made called “Protox”, then the two could merge and become Ticktocks

---------------------
    Wittgenstein (Tractatus Logico Philosophicus): Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

fatmacfatmac

Nowt wrong with the name as far as I’m concerned, although I do usually use a capital ‘A’, because it is a noun; just the way I’ve been brought up. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

KooKoo

About as useful as a logo change nobody cares I like it the way it is antiX rules.

MX-19 4.19.0-6-amd6 (i3) : Debian-10 4.19.67-2+deb10u2 (i3) : anitX-19 runit (5.3.14-antix.1-amd64-smp) (i3)
    2 Laps T430 17.2 X220 17.4

I like it the way it is

Yeah?
    Well… I like it the way it is was.

The (now Anonymous) troll, after having successfully persuaded anticapitalista to “prettify” things, had created this “just for fun” forum topic to taunt me us and to rally support for additional changes ~~ logo, theme song, eldercare, free lolipops, support for persons affected by synesthesia

masinickmasinick

I don’t mind the huge number of Linux distributions 9ut there. I do not use even 5% of the distributions out there. At one point in time, I *MAY* have tried 5-10% of the distributions out there; I haven’t been able to make that kind of claim for MANY years now.

I look for a couple solid distributions, and occasionally one I can experiment with a few times a month; the rest of the time I use most distributions as 95% Web browsing interfaces, 1-2 % file manager, 1-2 % editing tool, and less than 1% for anything else.

Both antiX and MX Linux suit my needs and quirks perfectly. I can use them as is, and I can also readily customize them and count on either one of them to do what I expect and predict them to do.

I am very grateful to be a promoter of these distributions and contribute as an occasional moderator and peacemaker. Blessings to all who contribute ideas, suggestions, testing, development, art work, and all other efforts.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by masinick.

Brian Masinick

linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

The newer fonts/icons look alot better as far as backdrops/loading screen wallpapers go still
    has to go … I get rid of those. As far as name … up 2 creators.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

KooKoo

Yeah?
    Well… I like it the way it is was.

I see what you mean sorry that came out the wrong way.

I only use two linux systems Debian & antiX have no interest in anything else.

Debian because it just works systemd or not my work environment. Scanner , phone connect with thunar are important to me. Plus I think it is a great system hopefully that’s why both antiX & MX Linux use it as their base system.

antiX is my fun fast minimalist system which is not bound to any desktop environment easy to install and Great to use.
    But I will say this I do prefer 17 over 19 maybe because I was using Debian buster right from the early days , and was already working in the buster environment anyway and I do prefer to old themes of 17.

MX-19 4.19.0-6-amd6 (i3) : Debian-10 4.19.67-2+deb10u2 (i3) : anitX-19 runit (5.3.14-antix.1-amd64-smp) (i3)
    2 Laps T430 17.2 X220 17.4

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The topic ‘Make Anti-X out of antiX’ is closed to new replies.