Making a Live USB with Persistence

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Making a Live USB with Persistence

• This topic has 17 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Oct 15-5:33 pm by 4L1V3.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    4L1V3

So I watched this seemingly helpful walkthrough by Mr Dolphin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq0mRZh2hiY

However, when I boot the resulting Live USB (made from an installed antiX system), I do not see the menus with F5 etc. Just entries and a thing at the bottom that says ‘press e to edit’

What do I need to do differently?

Xecure

Select the second menu entry “Text menus”, and go through the text menus, until you get to the persistence options and select it there.
        You can also hit e and write the live boot parameter in the third line, as described here.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
        General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

4L1V3

You haven’t explained why the guy giving the demo sees a very helpful menu accessible by function keys, yet I have to go through this laborious series of choices like I’m in a package manager.

Is it or is it not possible to have the kind of easy-to-use persistence advertised in the video?

From what I can see, the live USB with persistence runs like crap compared with my HDD install.

I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong, and even though I’ve read the page on this (the one that brags about being the best live USB ever), my experience is totally different so far.

Either I’m doing something really wrong, or it’s not what it’s cracked up to be.

A step by step guide that matched what I experience in reality would be REALLY nice.

Forum Admin
          anticapitalista

It is because you are booting in UEFI mode.
            You might be able to boot legacy mode if you change some settings in your bios.

BTW – what isn’t what it’s cracked up to be? crack?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

4L1V3

Why would I want to boot in Legacy mode? Why can’t I have the same options using UEFI?

Is there any advantage to only running my BIOS in Legacy mode?

I know the difference for a GRUB install, etc.

UEFI makes having Linux and Windows dual boot about 100x easier, and I often have to have Windows for work (much to my disgust)

If I am only booting from the USB and never installing the system to hard drive, I don’t understand why I should have to change settings that will make booting my installed systems impossible (because there will be no MBR, only an ESP partition)

#confused

Forum Admin
              anticapitalista

So name a distro that even offers these live boot options in UEFI mode?
                antiX-21 (when released) has improved this, but you’ll have to wait or try the beta versions.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure

Why would I want to boot in Legacy mode? Why can’t I have the same options using UEFI?

Try the antiX 21b2 ISO, which has improved UEFI menus. I think NO live USB Linux distro has as advanced live system as antiX Linux does.

Performance depends on read/write of your external device. There are lots of persistence options depending on your needs. I prefer dynamic root persistence (all changes are stored in RAM and saved at the end of teh session). It makes booting and shutdown longer, but the live system responsiveness is amazing.

If you are using a external USB 3.0 device and connect it to a USB 3.0 port, then the experience using static persistence is almost the same as installed (no longer long boot and shutdown times, and changes are saved as soon as they happen), all this thanks to the fast read/write speeds of USB3 technology.

Some prefer to have it frugally installed (meaning that it copies the live system to an existing internal partition, without formatting, stored in a folder), and boots from it, which is like loading an installed system. You can select to use persistence with the frugal install, so it is like running installed (live, with changes saving in the persistence files) but without formatting the partition, and all changes are being saved into a folder instead (which you can remove whenever you want or move the files back to live USB and take it with you).

It has sooooo many possibilities that it makes it a bit complicated to configure, as there are so many choices.

Explore a few topics related to Persistence or Frugal install to better understand what all the fuss is about, or simply choose one of the live options and forget about it.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                  General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

christophe

Hello, 4L1VE.

For technical reasons, the function keys can’t be used with UEFI. But it’s (generally) a rare (maybe only a one-time) thing to go through.

As Xecure wrote, the subject is very complex. But for your (first) antiX experience, stay in UEFI mode, go through the text menus, and do what Xecure recommended:

There are lots of persistence options depending on your needs. I prefer dynamic root persistence (all changes are stored in RAM and saved at the end of teh session). It makes booting and shutdown longer, but the live system responsiveness is amazing.

Then save that setting for subsequent boots.
                    Then just forget about it; you’ll never have to go through those text menus again, unless you want to change a setting.

I think that’s a good place to start.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by christophe.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

ModdIt

Seems we all work a bit differently but the statement you made

From what I can see, the live USB with persistence runs like crap compared with my HDD install.

is neither helpful nor fair, in the majority of cases incorrect or sub optimal usage for user case is the root.

If your device does not have at least USB 2+ port and you have a slow writing USB stick
                      your hardware is a major part of the percieved problem. Once the internal controller cache is full most USB sticks have a very slow write speed. The persistence option is though I agree not the fastest method, that has technical reasons, it is though very comfortable and reliable.

To maximise running performance you can use the dynamic root persistence as suggested by christophe, if your system has enough RAM or you are using swap to the internal HDD that is.

Another way is to remaster after all system changes, i.e. upgrades application installation, customisation. Use Personal as that saves desktop changes, visuals etc.

Save to either your HDD, Live USB Storage folder or to a separate USB stick.

My boot times using the remaster method are about same as my internal samsung evo SSD,
                      way faster than a fast HDD that is , I do not even have a USB 3 Port.
                      I have found huge differences in both read and especially write performance from USB sticks, majority are slower than slugs on prolonged writes, some both read and write.
                      No good believing the advertising..

4L1V3

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. Sadly, I have no way of knowing which of these pieces of advice is compatible with one another.

Perhaps if I give more information, I can get more specific advice back?
                        This is what I’m working with: http://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c05576693

Specifically, “USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only)”

Checked device, also USB 3

So, thanks for the reassurance that antiX has the best live USB. I’m not disputing that. I just want to find a way to actually get it to work. It’s sad that because of different BIOS systems, the walkthrough is different to what I experience.

IS there, therefore, a guide for UEFI users?

Because I went through those text menus, but never was I prompted to save, and so had to go through them again the next time.

I have 19.4 installed on my HD. Assume that the ONLY step I’ve made is to make the Live USB with the antiX tool.

Please tell me step my step what I need to do, or point me to a video.

THanks

christophe

Perhaps we will get an updated live-usb video soon. But in the meantime, just dive in. The water’s warm & not too deep. 😉

0. Make the full-featured live-usb from your installed antiX system. (There are ways to do it if one doesn’t have an antiX installation, but let’s not muddy the waters, here. Use an antiX 19.x ISO file for the USB, since this is the latest stable release as of this writing. Menu setup may be different in the upcoming antiX-21 release.)

1. Just boot it via a UEFI bios.

2. Follow through the EASY text menus — It’s only a 1-time thing, until you want to change settings. Set your time zone, persistence type, etc. (I recommend for you what Xecure likes, dynamic root persistence — listed as ‘persist_root‘ in the selection menus.) If you don’t know what to choose on something, just use the default.

3. At the end you make the choice to save the settings. These will then be default until you change them again. EDIT: It’s the default choice, at the end of the text menu choices. (Now, it has to be a “full-featured” live-usb for this saving option.)

(See, the water is warm, after all.)

4. Boot into the live system. Play around a bit. Make wallpaper or desktop changes. Maybe install something new.

5. When you decide to reboot or shutdown, a pop-up window for live-persistence asks you, “Shall we begin?”

This is where you decide if you want to keep the changes you made, or not.

(The water was not so deep as you thought, right?) 🙂

The idea is to just jump in. All you are risking is the (new) data on the live-usb. You can always wipe it all out, if you want, and have your usb stick back to normal, too.

EDIT: (And the things moddit wrote about are what I’d term “advanced.” We can talk about those after you have been in the water, so to speak.)

6. Tell us how it goes.

Anonymous

I believe this video, at the linked time marker, does demonstrate a walkthrough of the EFI live boot menus//screens:
                            http://youtu.be/kGi9jd1qW8g?t=817

ModdIt

I quoted in particular remastering for a reason, as a gui tool exists and is reliable I do not consider it advanced to use.
                              For own use just remember to set to personal.

Regarding other live options the help documennts are well worth reading, especially
                              http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-19/live-boot/persistence.html

Saving files to internal drive, live usb storage or another usb stick or storage device will prevent risk of data loss due power outage.
                              Root and home persistence are usually set to save on shutdown, data is stored in ram which is volatile memory.

Losing important work is usualy the result of user neglecting to understand options.

christophe

@moddit – You are right, of course – not very advanced. I just was recommending a new live+persistence user to try 1 easy way, then they can add new things & ask questions after that.

4L1V3

Is it normal that it takes 2 minutes to save changes when all I did is change to JWM and install pcmanfm ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.