Making a VPN connection

Forum Forums General Software Making a VPN connection

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by DaveW Jan 12-11:42 am.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

buddy1812

This is my first post on this forum.

A bit about me, I am extremely new to Linux but have used computers since punch card days. So getting my hands dirty in the system is OK 🙂

After looking at the different distros I have settled on antiX. Super job guys !!!!! My Dell Workstation was never this quiet.

When I tried out live versions of the various other distros I was always able to access Genome connection manager to test out making an OPENVPN connection. If GCM was not in the default setup I had no issue to install it and have it show up in the tray. Unfortunately it did not work out so well with antiX. That was a challenge I gladly (well almost) took on.

Using Uncle Google I found enough information on the NET to where I can now make the VPN connection running the nm-applet using MENU –> RUN in ROOT mode. All is great. So what is my problem ?

1) I have no clue how to have this applet start at StartUp.
    2) Is there a way to make a OPENVPN connection using CENI ? Looking at the screen it was not obvious.
    3) Would WICD do the job ? Again, looking at what was there led me to think no.

Regards
    Henry

caprea
    caprea

Hi,
    so you installed network-manager and network-manager-gnome, if I understood right.
    https://www.antixforum.com/network-manager-available-in-antix-repos/
    To make the nm-applet show up in the tray at startup
    just put

nm-applet &

at the bottom of your hidden .desktop-session/startup file in home.
    You can do this eg. by opening in control-centre~~session~~desktop session user
    Close and save the startup-file.

I have no experience with vpn, but as far as I know you probably need the network-manger.

buddy1812

Hi Caprea

Yes, that did it.

My question 2) and 3) don’t require an answer as GCM take care of everything.

Setting up a VPN connection is almost dead simple using GCM.

Thank You 🙂

DaveW

Caprea, I followed the instructions that you gave to buddy1812. All is well. But I note, in the link that you mentioned, there is instruction to remove all lines from etc/network/interfaces file except the first three shown below. The contents of my file is as shown. What negative effect is there, if the other six lines remain? Thank you, Dave

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug eth2
    iface eth2 inet dhcp

caprea
    caprea

DaveW , NM evaluates the file /etc/network/interfaces and the devices configured there , in your case eth0,eth1,eth2 , are not managed by network-manager anymore.

DaveW

Caprea,
    Thank you for jogging my thinker.
    My normal usage for VPN is limited to WiFi, so my noggin skipped over the need for NM to manage the wired connection, too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.