Making antiX work better on hi-res 4K video machines to avoid microscopic fonts

Forum Forums General Hardware Making antiX work better on hi-res 4K video machines to avoid microscopic fonts

• This topic has 65 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Sep 20-6:54 am by Xecure.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    BobC

I’ve seen a couple people frustrated by this lately. I have a newer Dell I7 laptop with a high resolution 4K video that defaults to 3840×2160 resolution, and to install and run antiX, I needed to use a big 5 inch magnifying glass just to see to boot it and get in to arandr to change the screen resolution. That was a couple years ago, but these people are having the same problem, I think, and for someone not as technically savvy, this is a show stopper that can cause them to get upset and give up, rather than fight it.

Can we come up with a way to make it work reasonably out of the box for base and full setups?

Ok, here is my thought…
    So, my screen could be anywhere from 14 to 55 inch with 3840×2160 resolution, to 10 to 55 inch with 640 x 480 resolution, and we need to figure out for first time the system comes up, if the default would require a magnifier to read, and then default the screen to a readable resolution for them, and then put arandr on the screen to allow the person to adjust it, and when they exit, offer to save whatever they have set it to as their default, so it comes up with that resolution from then on.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

There was a boot parameter I tested but wasn’t able to get to work (I probably didn’t use it properly).
    https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-19/FAQ/boot-params.html#_x_windows_video_options states:

xorg=<parameter-list> Force a particular driver to be used, set the screen resolution or even set the horizontal and vertical frequency ranges. Accepts a comma separated list of parameters. Any other xorg= parameter that is not specified below is treated as the name of a video driver to use. If that driver cannot be found on the system then there will be a large error message in red explaining the problem.

WWWWxHHHH any parameter that looks like a resolution, a set of digits, an “x” and then another set of digits is treated like a resolution and sets the resolution of the X display. We usually add fallback resolutions in case the one you specified does not work out.

How does this work? Can any of the devs explain how to best use it? Could using this parameter at boot help with setting a resolution in the live system at least?

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

It seems to me that I tried the various boot options available at the time.

I forget how I was able to install. It was with a magnifying glass, if I remember.

When the system is coming up, the Grub screen text is impossibly small to read. While booting I think I could read the text. Then, when it went to X-windows everything was impossibly too small to read.

As time goes by, a higher and higher percentage of installs will likely be with high resolution video, so we should try to have it work out of the box so people don’t have problems. Many other Linux distros including Debian do not have this problem. But then again, they are mostly very slow compared to antiX, so I was willing to fight it.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Is this UEFI boot?
    Can you try F6 key/ fontsize=2.0 to see if that makes any difference (grub legacy boot).
    For UEFI type fontsize=2.0

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for replying anti. The machine is a tricky situation because it’s the machine that I have to boot into Win/10 when I need to use it for work. Yes, it’s UEFI, but I have changed the settings to allow Legacy boot, and I normally boot from a non-graphic grub. Win/10 came on the HD. I then added an SSD and got Win/10 running from the SSD. I then added Linux and it hosed the boot. I was able to get Debian to boot and figured out the Optimus mess, but then added other Linux distros which hosed the boot, at some point I got MX to control it, and now I have antiX 19 controlling it. Unfortunately, I can no longer tell if Win/10 is booting from the HD or SSD, and I don’t know how to figure out how to fix it.

That said, the only Linux I actually run on it anymore is one partition of antiX 19, slightly modified for to use LightDM because Slim uses 50 mb of memory, and the boot stuff to make it readable and get around the Optimus graphics problems, and I only boot to Win/10 if I have to.

I avoid changing it because it is my main machine, and the one I need to use for work when needed. Unfortunately, my other machines don’t have the video problems this one has, because they don’t have the silly 4K video. I know that currently I can reboot it safely, but I worry that at some point the boot will get hosed and I won’t be able to boot Win/10 from whatever drive it is actually running from.

It reminds me of that story where the cobblers children have no shoes.

Xecure, here is the code I use to give me the ability to control the display resolution in X. It creates a blank script to use if I don’t create one to override it.

# set screen resolution to my default
    if [ -x "$HOME/.screenlayout/default.sh" ] ; then
    	. $HOME/.screenlayout/default.sh
    else
    	if [ ! -d "$HOME/.screenlayout" ] ; then
    		mkdir $HOME/.screenlayout
    	fi
    	echo "" > $HOME/.screenlayout/default.sh && chmod +x $HOME/.screenlayout/default.sh
    	(sleep 2 && arandr) &
    fi

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by BobC.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I should have added to try with a live usb with the boot parameters. No need to install.
    Just to see if it helps.
    For an installed system, try set font size dpi in the control centre

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I think that later kernels will work better too.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I haven’t had a paying customer for anything in 7 months, so it’s as good a time as any to try cleaning it up. I deleted everything except for the Win/10 and antiX 19, did a boot repair, updated grub and rebooted, and am looking good from that respect.

I will try your suggestion from the flashdrive boot with antiX 19.3 Full x64 from legacy and UEFI if I can.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I was able to try both legacy and UEFI and it still is coming up very small. Normal people will not find the Control Centre , Session, Set Screen Resolution option to adjust it.

I will upload a pic

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks BobC.

I don’t have any new hardware to test on.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Can you try the antiX version with the 4.19 kernel? Or a sid one that ships with a 5 series kernel.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Yes, As long as you will help if I trash my boot on this thing I will help test with it.

I am booted with 4.19.143-antix.1-amd64-smp from the flashdrive.

What would be the best test for you from a 5.x kernel? I can load it to this one and remaster or whatever you like. It’s a high speed SSD connected via USB 3.0, so it’s super fast.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Try the latest 5.8.16 kernel on the live usb. Thanks

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I see there is 5.8.7 in package installer. I will install that. If you want something else tested, let me know.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

antiX repo is down I notice.

Have you tried MX ahs version? I know it isn’t antiX, but it uses a 5 series kernel plus later mesa packages that *might* also be need for hd resolution screens.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.