Making productive use of the XScreenSaver to display text instead of Conky

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Making productive use of the XScreenSaver to display text instead of Conky

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 48 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by BobC Jun 13-5:47 pm.

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author

BobC

PS: in the end the rss feed method used was to use rsstail to get the data, and remember what process it started, then after there was time to bring in the text and process it, the rsstail feed is killed, and then it keeps redisplaying that file till it gets X minutes old, at which time it gets it again and kills it again. I also did some cool tricks to reduce the overhead data so for example, the date and timestamp is reduced to mm-dd hh:mm instead of yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss. I figured that you probably know what year it is, and don’t care what second it was.

BobC

It tuned out that it was easy to create a zip file with spacefm.

In a non-root spacefm session, right click on the folder, click new, then archive, change the name, then select the archive format, and click ok.

At 4 am, I was too tired to figure it out. It is interesting that the .tgz does quite a bit better compression than the .zip. But anyway, .zip is what is acceptable here, not .tgz.

masinick
    masinick

I’m not sure that anyone here would care about this, but I happened to notice a recent article in The Linux Journal entitled: “Create Dynamic Wallpaper with a Bash Script (April 18, 2018). Perhaps someone may have interest; if so, the link to the article is:
    Create Dynamic Wallpaper with a Bash Script
    or
    https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/create-dynamic-wallpaper-bash-script
    (if the information above gets distorted).

Brian Masinick

BobC

Yes, at one point I tried parsing the HTML to pluck out the RSS feed text based on a script I had found, but for some sites it would work, and others not, and sleekmason was using RSSTail, which did all the ones I tried correctly, but its “flaw” for my purposes, was that it was designed to sit there and run forever, updating itself, rather than go get what was there and end, so I used it, go get the feed periodically when the current feed gets stale, and end it manually after each pull.

If you wanted, you could use feeds like the one you posted, from multiple sites, to feed a folder that xscreensaver would cycle through…

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.