Making the modern “Web” a bit lighter and more private

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Making the modern “Web” a bit lighter and more private

• This topic has 32 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated May 9-8:28 am by PPC.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Those are usability factors that are included in some tools and not in others.

Might be worth a feature request for the tools that do not include a similar feature. You will at least state your request and your reason.

I haven’t been successful 100% of the time in feature requests but the percentage has been pretty good. With experience in development and testing it helps to know what developers and testers look for:

Features:
    1. What do you want to do.
    2. If possible what steps or commands do you want to use (buttons, keys, menus.

The more precise you can be without extra distraction the more likely it will be well received.

Brian Masinick

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

The features may already be there. I have to look a little more at the config files. The Archwiki mentioned a keybinding config file but I haven’t found it yet. I’ll keep at it.

Good tip on contacting the developers with a request. I will try that if I come up empty.

Seaken64

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

One other possibility if you get comfortable with text based hidden configuration files.
    For instance, for bash, the .bashrc file can be used to add aliases and other features to bash.
    For X in general, .Xdefaults and .xresources can add resources for X in general and if you know the resource names of applications you can customize their behavior too, changing colors, accelerators and keystrokes in some cases.

Brian Masinick

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I have released new debs with the keybindings fix (no interface change) in case anyone is interested.
    https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/badWolf/-/tree/contribs-release-deb/deb-packages

Tomorrow I will build zzzfm with the latest translations, so that the translators can see the result of their work (and also find translation issues if any).

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

@Xecure, you mentioned “the keybindings fix”. Does that mean you had a topic on keybinding fixes already? I have not come across it yet. What do these fixes include? Maybe you have already done what I need.

If I download the new deb do I install it with gdebi? Or will I wait for it get to the repos?

Edit: Yes, thank you Xecure! I figured out how to install from command line and I’m using your newly updated version now. Thank you for fixing the keybinding to use Ctrl+ and Ctrl-. Much better for me. I’ll look around to see what else is updated.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by seaken64.
    PPC
    Helpful
    Up

@seaken64 – Xecure added the keybindings you though were missing. Also the “web search” toolbar has a magnifying glass icon, different from that of the “search webpage” one. The bookmarks interface got more streamlined and even easier to use. Badwolf may still not be ideal for you, but Xecure tries hard implement reasonable suggestions.

Note: you can’t tell if you never used the default badwolf – you have to build it from the source code.- The differences from antiX’s version to the official version are these:
    -the official version has no “websearch box” (Xecured applied a patch that added that extra feature)
    -the official version lacks favorites/bookmarks (Xecure made that from scratch)
    -the official version lacks a start page (Xecure made that from scratch)
    -the official version lacks keybindings to zoom in/out webpages

So, antiX badwolf users may look down to badwolf users on other distros, like that cute meme of the little guy with a top hat and a monocle… 🙂

TIP: if you want to add your own start page to badwolf, you can. Manually edit badwolf.desktop (ex: “sudo geany /usr/share/applications/badwolf.desktop”), and alter the Exec line to include your start page: Ex: “badwolf antixforum.com”- this may only appeal to folks that like manually editing config files…

P.

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

Many thanks, Xecure, for your work. I’m thinking badwolf browser may be a good choice for default browser, if the antix 32-bit version should ever need to deviate from the same path that 64-bit machines can travel. And PPC, thanks for bringing this topic up. It’s very enjoyable. (Not to mention all the great work, in general, you two do.)

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Many thanks, Xecure, for your work. I’m thinking badwolf browser may be a good choice for default browser,

I want to add my thanks to these contributors for this effort as well. If usability is enhanced a bit and bugs solved this might prove a good candidate for default in the spirit of ‘Lean and Mean’, in place of current bloated FF default. Particularly it is supposed to be more sensitive to privacy requirements and my initial impression of memory footprint indicates it appears to use about 100M less memory…
    Having said that, I suggest a bit of improvements, such as adding ‘Refresh’ and ‘Home’ buttons.
    On some bugs I observed:
    – On antiX Forum posting appears to work, however quoting does not work for me, so in this post, since I am quoting, I had to switch to another browser.
    – Some drop-down menus do not work for me. For example on eBay search results listing screen, clicking on ‘Best Match’, in attempt to change to ‘Ending Soonest’ or other sequence does not show the drop-down menu. Similarly other drop-down menus on that level. However the drop-down menu at the top, such as ‘My eBay’ work just fine.
    The drop-down menu issue reminds me the one on antiX Chrome/Chromium reported about two years ago. It was fixed shortly after, so perhaps it might not be Badwolf causing this… Experts, such as Xecure and skidoo will know better…
    This being just my observations, I hope Badwoolf will be perfected to the level of becoming Lean and Mean preference or even antiX default…
    Thanks again and Regards…

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

What’s the equivalent of Ctrl+Q to exit the programme in Badwolf?
    Can it be/is it localised?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

It is localized for pt_BR, fr, de and tr

I can only see Ctrl-F4, Ctrl+w, Alt-d to close individual tabs, and nothing to close badwolf completely. I can add it if I figure out what is the correct call. For now I use the wm key binding Alt+F4.

For me, there are currently 3 issues for which I would consider that badwolf is not stable/ready.
    1. Printing the page doesn’t work at all (at least it no longer kills the browser).
    2. You cannot open a link in the same instance of Badwolf if called externally (not from inside the program). When opening a link from any other program or from terminal, it will launch a new badwolf window.
    3. This is a suckless-like tool. EVERYTHING needs to be configured before compilation. Every little change I need to figure out how to add, and my knowledge in C is almost zero. It is a miracle we have reached this far. I got to add the websearch-in-toolbar patch and every new keybinding and “favorite-manager” script and calls.

I need to study quilt and figure out how to create the patch-files separately to not contaminate the original source code. This hacking stuff I do is pure shit and I will probably be shot (as in denounced) by a real developer some time soon when they see how I perverted badwolf and dialogbox.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

to close badwolf completely. I can add it if I figure out what is the correct call.

to associate “exit the program” with Ctrl+q
    keybindings.c::commonCb_key_press_event()
    @ Line89

case GDK_KEY_q:
                    if(((GdkEventKey *)event)->state & GDK_CONTROL_MASK)
                    {
                        gtk_main_quit();
                    }
                    return TRUE; // not reached
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks, skidoo. I have added the new keybinding control+q and fixed a small issue with the favorites manager.
    New build in antix-contribs

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks, skidoo. I have added the new keybinding control+q and fixed a small issue with the favorites manager.
    New build in antix-contribs

Excellent and it works.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

@anticapitalista – badwolf for antiX would be, in my option, be worthy of being in Package Installer, despite the two shortcomings Xecure talked about (I think that the fact of it always opening a new window and not a new tab, when opened from “the outside”, more like something that happens by design, not exactly a bug)
    It runs great all my devices (2 singles cores and one more modern with multiple cores)- I guess it runs on more recent 32 bits machines (or should I say slightly less old) that have more recent features (like SSE2, etc, I’m not really sure of webkit’s requirements and I’m too lazy to search on-line).
    Browsing sites that work with JS off runs like a dream, most pages load almost instantly. Streaming videos, in sites that work without JS, too. With JS on, my weaker machine (my crappy, but almost bullet proof, netbook) struggles a bit to stream YouTube videos, but, I tested with imdb trailers and they look great and run really smooth. I’ll test in it my parent’s old 32bits HP laptop when I can…

P.S.- Funny detail- one web site told me I was using “Safari for Linux” 🙂

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
    skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

badwolf for antiX would be

Would be… what?
    In my reading, it’s like you typed a runaway train of thought, without explaining the “what”.

In case you are advocating “would be a replacement for dillo”, or similar, I’ll mention that nothing currently preinstalled in antiX full depends on “libwebkit2gtk-4” (a 56MB+ dependency of badwolf).

We already have 48MB+ “libqt5webket5” solely as a dependency of (yuck-o) antix-viewer… and antix-viewer is a dependency of iso-snapshot and packageinstaller.

iso-snapshot and packageinstaller run AsRoot, and they stupidly launch web browser as root. I hacked antix-viewer to drop privileges when it launches. Someone would need to similarly hack badwolf (it’s only a matter of inserting about 20 line of code) so that it could displace antix-viewer. The “antix-viewer” package could be converted to a virtual package that just installs a symlink pointing to badwolf.

Someone else might recheck: What is the ps_mem.py reported memory footprint of antix-viewer?
    (I tested and found an eye-watering 125MB+ memory footprint)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.