Making the modern “Web” a bit lighter and more private

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Making the modern “Web” a bit lighter and more private

• This topic has 32 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated May 9-8:28 am by PPC.
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

P.S.- Funny detail- one web site told me I was using “Safari for Linux”

I may be simplifying and jumping to conclusion, but does Badwolf not seem a limited version of Safari, considering rendering engine? Pardon me if I am completely misunderstanding…
    Now, if this comparison is reasonable then it would mean nothing but bright future for Badwolf in Linux world, where Safari is not available. Likewise it is not available on Windows…
    If antiX team manages to accomplish this challenging task, this would mean a significant edge for antiX in comparison with other distros to have a Safari compatible browser as default…
    Just my far reached interpretation of such possibility…

P.S…
    Where is a link to the latest version of Badwolf deb? The version I have does not seem to reflect enhancements developed by antiX team…
    Thanks and Regards…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by olsztyn.
    skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Where is a link to the latest version of Badwolf deb?

in post #4, the link was posted by Xecure

https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/badWolf/-/tree/contribs-release-deb/deb-packages
    hover the ellipsized filenames to see which is 32bit, vs 64 bit

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

badwolf for antiX would be

Would be… what?

Man, I swear I don’t drink- it never happened to me before, deleting one typo and end up deleting an entire line by mistake, so I fixed that, thanks, skidoo!
    And no, although I like and use badwolf a lot, I think that it being out of the box in antiX is not a good idea. (it’s .deb file is only less than 80 KB, but it’s dependencies take almost 90MB of disk space).
    We already get firefox-esr , dillo an Links2 out of the box… and badwolf can’t replace dillo for basic browsing in extremely old 32bits CPU’s that don’t meet it’s requirements…

And yes, I measured that a new badwolf instance takes very little ram, according to ps_mem.py:
    19.1 MiB + 12.2 MiB = 31.3 MiB badwolf

So badwolf is probably a nice tool to use to read html help files, etc…

@olsztyn:

but does Badwolf not seem a limited version of Safari, considering rendering engine? Pardon me if I am completely misunderstanding…

If I remember correctly what I read about badwolf, from the first version I tried out, many moons ago, it does use the same rendering engine as Safari. The nice part of this browser is that it’s a tiny program, it does not try to reinvent anything, it’s a minimal “skin” that makes a web rendering engine available – it’s great for web browsing and web browsing alone. It’s no good, for example, at more complex tasks, like viewing Netflix that requires a full DRM decryption library, etc.
    That’s why it’s so secure, it does just one task and does it well.

Note: When I talk about secure browsers I mean, “secure” in normal, daily usage (like, always use a real private mode, that does not allow any tracking or history once that particular tab is closed), not “Tor network”, full paranoid internet browsing- for that, Package installer does provide Torbrowser…

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.