Management of Repos (Solved)

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-16 “Berta Cáceres” Management of Repos (Solved)

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated Nov 27-2:40 pm by masinick.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    briandcbriandc

Hi everyone,
    I’d like to install an app that is in the Debian package list (but not in my current repositories here) called Zyne .

I have the 2 dependencies listed already installed. If I add one of the suggested repositories, it tells me that some other files/apps will be removed, including a couple that seem particularly “important.” (I don’t remember what they were.)

So is it possible for me to install this app, since I have the dependencies? If so, how? (I downloaded the tarball from the link on the right of the page, but it’s not clear to me how to install.)

Thanks in advance!

brian

SOLVED: Ok, I did a git clone and installed it that way. Seems to work just fine. 🙂 (Might be nice to have in the main repos..?)

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by briandc.
    masinickmasinick

Hi, when you install using git, clearly you can build the code, recompile it and do essentially anything you want with it. The only obvious consequence is that when you use this approach the software will not be automatically updated along with any standard update.

If you know enough about the system, you can decide for yourself if the packages that are getting potentially removed or changed are critical to the entire system or simply to a few programs (which you can decide if they are vital or not). If a lot of core applications or core utilities depend on these packages, it may be unwise to change them, but if you truly know what you are doing, you can give it a try.

If it messes everything up completely, you can either reinstall or recover from a backup, depending again on how you operate, what your sensitivity is to potentially disrupting or destroying a system is, and if the answer is that you are capable of managing your system and accounting for unexpected consequences – or you are able to recover or rebuild the system, I’d say “Go for it”. Novices or anyone not very familiar with their systems and how to reinstall, rebuild, recover, or replace them are advised to never even consider doing something like this. This is something only for the experienced hobbyist to consider.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.