Many qt6t64 related packages upgraded back to qt6 today

Forum Forums News Sid Upgraders Many qt6t64 related packages upgraded back to qt6 today

• This topic has 11 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Jul 14-12:28 pm by stevesr0.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    stevesr0

After several weeks, today I was able to upload the qt6 related packages that were transitioning from t64 versions to nont64 versions. Looking thru aptitude, I didn’t see any qt6 packages that still have a t64 version – except libqt6core6t64.

That package is supposed to maintain a t64 name, according to a discussion on the debian mail-archive from June (Link: https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-release@lists.debian.org/msg161294.html).

This included qpdfview and poppler packages that previously had not been upgradable.

Xaver

Today I have discovered the APT 3.0 solver via a post in the Siduction forum:
        https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=9372.msg74784#msg74784
        Unforunately it is in German only. The author edin refers to
        https://blog.jak-linux.org/2024/05/14/solver3/

I have followed Edin’s advice and all upgrade blockages have been resolved. It is like magic.

# apt update && apt --solver 3.0 full-upgrade

Xaver

One strange thing happened with ‘apt –solver 3.0 full-upgrade’
          A package ‘opensysusers’ got installed.

I have tried ‘apt purge -s opensysusers’ to check its dependencies and have got this error message:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
          requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
          distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
          or been moved out of Incoming.
          The following information may help to resolve the situation:
          Unsatisfied dependencies:
           polkitd : Depends: default-logind or
                              logind

‘apt-rdepends opensysusers’ and ‘apt-rdepends -r opensysusers’ do not show any dependencies.

So I wonder what has happened and if opensysusers might cause problems in the future.

Xaver

opensysusers should be ok and maybe even necessary. Just found this post by anticapitalista:

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/oops-cron-upgrade-to-v3-0pl1-169-0antix1-brings-in-systemd/#post-114718

stevesr0

Hi Xaver,

Thanks for responses.

I tend to be distrustful and even if I used apt-solver, I would still try to simulate it’s effects first and probably double check with aptitude or synaptic.

Regarding opensysusers.

On my Sid install, I have systemd-standalone-sysusers installed. In my anitX23.1 full install, I have neither systemd-standalone-sysusers nor opensysusers installed.

It appears that systemd-standalone-sysusers and opensysusers are alternatives. If I simulate installing opensysusers, apt calls for the removal of systemd-standalone-sysusers.

So, I assume you didn’t have systemd-standalone-sysusers installed?

Not sure if one of these is better than the other for support of any particular package.

The other question that occurs to me, is if one is better maintained than the other.

Xaver

@ stevers0
                I had not installed both of them on any system nor did I know, that they exist.

The info on opensysusers is very brief:
                https://github.com/cromerc/opensysusers

So it seems to be the better choice for non systemd installs.
                I suppose that opensysusers is redundant on systems without polkitd.

As long as only libraries are affected I think, that the use of apt solver 3.0 is safe.
                But any other concerned package should be ckecked – as I did with opensysusers.

stevesr0

Hi Xaver,

Just looked up solver3.0 which is a new item included in the 2.9.3 version of apt. It makes apt “full-upgrade” a bit more aggressive, but did so without problems when I checked before following its suggestions using sudo apt install selectively. As a new feature I would use it with caution.

Regarding opensysusers and systemd-stand-alone-sysusers. I just compared which programs are dependent upon them and they differ only in that polkitd and tomcat on antiX23.1 are dependent upon opensysusers but not upon systemd-standalone-sysusers. This means to me that if I had one of those two installed, I would need opensysusers installed (and systemd-standalone-sysusers could not be substituted). Otherwise, on that system, if any other packages needed “sysuser” support, either currently would work.

On my Sid install, I have systemd-standalone-sysusers installed because I have cron-daemon-common installed. In my Sid repositories, there are two packages which opensysusers covers that systemd-standalone-sysusers does not (polkitd and fwupd). Neither of these (obviously) are installed on this system.

I remain confused about the notion of “system users”, which would seem to be ubiquitous yet, we don’t seem to need a sysuser support package for many/most installs?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by stevesr0.
                  Xaver

@ stevers0
                    Neither of these files are on my system without dbus-daemons, elogind and polkitd, nor have I missed them.

https://github.com/artix-linux/opensysusers

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/latest/systemd-sysusers.html
                    “systemd-sysusers uses the files from sysusers.d directory to create system users and groups and to add users to groups, at package installation or boot time. This tool may be used to allocate system users and groups only, it is not useful for creating non-system (i.e. regular, “human”) users and groups, as it accesses /etc/passwd and /etc/group directly, bypassing any more complex user databases, for example any database involving NIS or LDAP.”

stevesr0

Hi Xaver,

I read that definition and came away unclear what routine processes are classed as “system users”. My confusion stems from thinking that everyones’ installs must harbor many processes that “should” be system users. Yet, in reality, it seems that it is perfectly feasible to have Linux installs without any system users that require the presence of either opensysusers or systemd-standalone-sysuser.

I am obviously clueless about why a process has to be treated as system users air not.

P.S. it turns out that this thread is mainly about opensysusers rather than upgrades of t64 packages back to nont64 packages. Someone interested in opensysusers might not find this thread, unfortunately.

(If a moderator could split the thread, so that a version with a title “Opensysusers vs systemd-stand-alone-sysuser” appeared, listing Xaver as the OP, that might be useful to people seeking info on system-users related packages.)

Xaver

@ stevers0
                        ‘opensysusers’ is just a side dish of our discussion, because it was installed via the ‘APT 3.0 solver’.

‘APT 3.0 solver’ is related to t64-packages. It does resolve problems, that are connected to them.

My sid is about 7 years old. The package structure of Debian has changed over the years.
                        Most of such changes I have not even noticed.
                        Therefore I consider ‘APT 3.0 solver’ to be a pleasing help to adapt my outdated sid to the new structure.

Forum Admin
                        anticapitalista

‘opensysusers’ is just a side dish of our discussion, because it was installed via the ‘APT 3.0 solver’.

cron in sid, or to be more accurate – cron-daemon-common requires systemd or systemd-standalone-sysusers or opensysusers

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

stevesr0

Hi anticapitalista,

Yes, I have the cron-daemon-common package installed and that is the only package dependent upon systemd-standalone-sysusers on my Sid system.

Hi Xaver,

I think two things of value came up:

(1) the new apt tool – solver 3.0
                            (2) the presence of two packages that are available to support processes that are “system users”.

So, perhaps a three way split <g>?

N.B. Additional look at the two packages reveals that they have two separate entries for packages dependent upon them:
                            (1) the package itself
                            (2) “provided systemd-sysusers”

Number (2) provides the same 37 packages for each. But systemd-standalone-sysusers itself only has 34 packages that depend upon it while opensystemusers is said to have only 3 packages dependent upon it (but 37 dependent upon “provided systemd-sysusers”).

Using rdepends shows only three packages for opensysusers vs 34 for systemd-standalone-sysusers.

So, I am confused but will stick with systemd-standalone-sysusers, until someone can explain that really opensysusers is better…

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by stevesr0.
                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.