Mepis/anti-X/Mx

Forum Forums General Other Distros Mepis/anti-X/Mx

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by linuxdaddy Jan 6-9:29 pm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kogomo
    Kogomo

I have been a long follower of Mepis. With the absence of WW, how is the community keeping up? Why did WW just disappear? Being that he was a long time Linux advocate, why did he just leave one of the best Linux Distro’s (Mepis) to flounder. Certainly he knew that Linux. on itself, was a personal project and never a way to make a living. Even Canonical is having it’s problems. Mepis, under WW could have taken over the user friendly area of Linux.
    IMHO

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice.
    'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here"
    -Lewis Carroll

fatmac
    fatmac

From what I understand, anti sort of broke away to create a lighter distro, then Mepis sort of ceased, & those that were left teamed up with anti & created MX. 😉

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    dolphin_oracle

Warren left for his own reasons. I’m sure he is fine these days, but he is not part of our projects as far as I know. (mx and antiX)

Koo
    Koo

Mepis Has been voted 2nd best linux distro for 2018. The last version was updated 2013 = SimplyMEPIS-1.5G_11.9.92_64.iso Awesome work Warren Woodford

I think it was unofficial version 12 ?

What is the Right Linux Distro for Your Computing Needs?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Koo.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Koo.
    ile
    ile

hello Kogomo . I like your Alice signature. I like it when Alice sings “In A World Of My Own.”

hello everyone

hi Koo . I bumped into that same Best Linux of 2018 article
    last week when was clicked on a bookmark here for “Main Page – antiX” ((antix.mepis.org/index….)) and up comes the disjunct bestseven… article of December 22, 2018 listing the best six of 2018 with Mepis at number two. click on the word Mepis next to the 2. is live link to distrowatch Mepis page shows version mepis 11 of 5-5-2011. (more in the table on page.) The distrowatch page indicates a recent update, but the forum and homepage information is outdated; some dead, some loop back to bestseven…, some to the distrowatch Mepis page . A curious conspiracy in time?
    The image in your post is seen wordpress symbol / icon. The page I see has no wordpress metadata indication. what’s up?
    I say what’s up is, You can’t keep a good Mepis down. I’m with You. Awesome work Warren Woodford

masinick
    masinick

As I recall (though “memories” are sometimes “suspect”), Warren had some great opportunities to pursue professional work that dealt with patent and legal technologies.

Prior to that, he had a few health issues, and like many of us, had bills to pay.

Whether that recollection is accurate or not, most of us here, especially those of us who have been a part of this extended community since 2003 (or other Linux communities even before that) can be thankful for the tools and technologies that Warren Woodford introduced or improved through the MEPIS community.

Brian Masinick

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

a little flashback? …. “the original “lean and mean” 🙂

excerpt from “https://www.junauza.com/2007/11/antix-fat-free-mepis.html” on On 11/02/2007

antiX M-7, The Fat-free Simply Mepis: Simply Mepis is a Linux newbie’s dream. It is known for its ease-of-use and its exceptional hardware detection. A new lightweight flavor of Mepis, which is intended for older hardware was released recently. It is called AntiX with a code name “Lysistrata”.

Actually the first was antiX-6.5 “Sparticus” on 9 July 2007

Attachments:

Linux = Many kinds, shapes, and sizes of computers to come
    together to create the ultimate cure for curiosity, boredom,
    creativity, and asylum. 🙂
    Whether new, used, young, or ancient.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.