Modern kernel??

Tagged: 

• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Nov 17-5:33 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    carbon

Is there an antix21 with a “modern kernel” for my new computer?
      so I can start just normal my antix21?

Xecure

Hi, carbon.
        If your computer isn’t super new (released after the end of last year), you should be able to boot antiX 21 full selecting “Modern Kernel” in the Advanced boot options. It uses kernel 5.10, so it should be good enough for most modern machines.

EDIT: The new antiX 21 full comes with a dual-kernel (legacy 4.9 and Modern 5.10) for best compatibility. You just need to make sure you select the correct kernel you want in the Advanced options..

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Xecure.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
        General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

carbon

every time it asks for a kernel, while I select 5.1
          linux mint works immediately, maybe that’s an option for me ..

christophe

When running live-usb, you select your kernel/other options once, and at the end of the choices menu, you choose to save. Then when you boot live-usb subsequently, all your choices are used automatically. Just hit enter or wait for the boot timeout.

When you install antiX, the “modern” kernel gets used as default.

But if you want to use Mint, use that. It will not hurt our feelings. antiX works hard to support older computers — something that few distros seem to want to do — as well as new computers. That’s why there are the two kernels on the “full” ISO. There are plenty of distros to fit plenty of tastes: choose whichever you like. 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by christophe.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

caprea

You have to go back to the main menu after you have made your choice by pressing enter.

carbon

i go back to the main menu. it should work right away (plug and play)

Linux is always difficult! Why is that??

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

linux mint works immediately, maybe that’s an option for me ..

Maybe it is.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

i go back to the main menu. it should work right away (plug and play)

Linux is always difficult! Why is that??

So manyyyy things to comment here:

First – why does antiX 21 “complicate” user’s life by adding a choice between 2 kernels, if it’s running live? Easy- it gives users the “choice” between a kernel compatible with very old (think 20 years old or so) machines and newer (or brand new) ones
                    Second- It should work right away? Hum… perhaps. but antiX is almost a one man show. anticapitalista and the rest of the tiny dev team can’t do everything at one… Also, this it bug you that much to have press enter twice when booting from a live system that does the miracle of storing your changes, running live an installed system? Then do as advised above and save that setting… Do you still not want to wait for the automatic selection of the preferred kernel to be made and the proceed to the following boot menu? Fine, install antiX. This happens only when using antix in live mode.
                    Third- Linux is hard? Hum… I guess so, sometimes. But then again, so are many other OS – did Windows 7 automatically update to Windows 10 and now it does not work with your printer/app? Boy, that’s hard (not as hard as having to make a couple of selections on a boot menu). Did you try to update your MacOs on an older device and it got bricked? Take it to an Isteal, sorry, Istore, Did your warranty expire? That’s hard, but you’ll have to pay to undo the mess that your own OS did (not as hard as having to make a couple of selections on a boot menu). You have an 17 years old Pc that still works fine, but you can’t put any Windows version above Windows XP on it and can’t browse the web with it? That hard (not as hard as having to make a couple of selections on a boot menu), I can go and on, but I think you get the point…
                    Fourth- don’t like it? Hum… There’s plenty of fish in the sea. Like anticapitalista said, if you are unhappy with antiX, there are plenty of other fine distros, linke Mint- I’ve used it for many years…

PS: I hope you stick with antiX. If you do, the forum is here to try to help you… But probably not if you cry that having to make a couple of selections on the boot menu is too hard…

P.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by PPC.
                    ModdIt

2 Kernels is a real time saver, I did an antiX21 runit install yesterday, the machine is 12 years old.
                      In this single case both kernels work, on other boxes I need the older one.

It is called efficiency and flexibility, have what you need at your fingertips. Those griping about bloat
                      do not have a bunch of users to look after and the burning ambition to get many more using this fantastic OS.

Brian Masinick

I want to comment here, 1) because I have been using antiX since the very first public build, even before the official introduction of the release.
                        2) over all those years (a decade and a half+) I had one 1st Alpha build that failed many years ago. I quickly reported the issue, explaining the problem in detail and it was fixed in the very next build.
                        3) This year I purchased one of the newest laptop systems I have ever owned. Usually I wait until the model is replaced with another model, then I buy the previous model before it gets out of stock or I buy a slightly used model from friends that I trust. I finally got a system that, right now, won’t run or boot antiX from USB; my system doesn’t even recognize the image, but if I put a recognized image on the same media, it works.

I’ve reported this but I am not complaining because I have 3 other systems that run antiX beautifully and the new system runs another great distribution, siduction, faster than anything else I have ever used, so I don’t complain.

Also antiX 21 runs in multiple styles very well on a Thinkpad X201 and a Dell 5558 laptop; can’t beat those solid systems!

Within a little while antiX will run on my newest hardware and I will wait patiently for the bits to show up; it’s an Acer Aspire 5 model A515-55 with NVME SSD.

--
                        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I want to comment here, 1) because I have been using antiX since the very first public build, even before the official introduction of the release.
                          2) over all those years (a decade and a half+) I had one 1st Alpha build that failed many years ago. I quickly reported the issue, explaining the problem in detail and it was fixed in the very next build.
                          3) This year I purchased one of the newest laptop systems I have ever owned. Usually I wait until the model is replaced with another model, then I buy the previous model before it gets out of stock or I buy a slightly used model from friends that I trust. I finally got a system that, right now, won’t run or boot antiX from USB; my system doesn’t even recognize the image, but if I put a recognized image on the same media, it works.

I’ve reported this but I am not complaining because I have 3 other systems that run antiX beautifully and the new system runs another great distribution, siduction, faster than anything else I have ever used, so I don’t complain.

Also antiX 21 runs in multiple styles very well on a Thinkpad X201 and a Dell 5558 laptop; can’t beat those solid systems!

Within a little while antiX will run on my newest hardware and I will wait patiently for the bits to show up; it’s an Acer Aspire 5 model A515-55 with NVME SSD.

From the MX Forum: (a post regarding “Advanced Hardware Support”, (AHS):
                          http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=662410#p662410

Posted here for convenience:
                          “I’ve concluded that what I need is the “Advanced Hardware Support” (AHS) features. As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I *did* successfully install an AVL/MXE 19 version.
                          Recently I modified the repos and updated, following the release suggestions, and I have the Wildflower “bits”, appearance, and features, though the default ident strings remain as usual, that is, with the Version 19 release.

“Thinking about it though, all I really needed was the AHS capabilities and it worked, so I’ve downloaded MX 21 with the KDE bits and the AHS support. With the faster processor, this ought to run perfectly, so I’m about to test my “theory”. I’m assuming a positive result. If not, I can always grab the older builds and do it all over, switching repositories to match Bullseye and follow the instructions as before. I can even “cheat” and change the ident string, but I believe that with AHS I’ll get it all to work as expected.

“Armed with this knowledge I may even be able to figure out a way to “do the same” with antiX and get a fairly lean antiX 21 in place, only adding more complete hardware support.
                          Should be able to do that by grabbing a build, put it on another system, add AHS capabilities and then remaster it and push it on a USB that I can then use on other systems. That may be a “future” experiment; one thing at a time.”

--
                          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I’ve not been able to boot even the AHS versions of the 2021 MX releases of any kind on my Acer Aspire 5 A515-55 laptop with the NVME SSD.

Curiously I have had no problem getting any of the antiX and MX releases on my older Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop so I have put the latest versions there.

I DID get AVL/MXE 19 on the Aspire, so I migrated the repos to Bullseye and was successful getting it to upgrade that way.

I’m sure if I put the right hardware support bits into my own customized version I would have success; alas available time and too many areas I need to learn and relearn will probably prevent me from completing this any time soon; perhaps the necessary hardware support will magically appear before I get to learn and actually implement the change. Additional kernel modules probably does it (that’s my guess).

--
                            Brian Masinick

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.