Monitor defect, self repair cost Eur, 5,47

Forum Forums General Hardware Monitor defect, self repair cost Eur, 5,47

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Dec 7-6:47 am by oops.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ModdIt

Last week my LG Monitor Flatron first switched on slowly, two days later not at all. The local shop said buy a new one, searching the net suggested that for both Monitors and TV thus affected a self repair might be viable.
      Getting the Monitor apart was not difficult. Disconnect, Remove stand, carefully remove the front surround, I hooked my fingernails in from the screen side of the surround and pulled upwards, first clips unlatched at the bottom, I progressed past the first corner with some difficulty but was able to remove the bezel. I then could free up the two small circuit boards for settings and on/standby switch. I then lifted the assembly out of the case. It is a tight fit. Put the assembly on a soft surface screen down. remove the left cover assuming that the small circuit boards are at bottom right in front of you. Disconnect the CCFL back lights. Remove the complete rear cover. in my case 4 screws at sides. Carefully lift and disconnect the screen assembly, put aside in a safe place.
      Carefully remove the power supply board, easy to find as the power supply socket is on the board. BE CAREFUL, Capacitors can kill. You will find a capacitor with 260 Volt rating on the board. Make sure it is discharged by shorting across the plus minus terminals, to do that I used a resistor held in insulated pliers. To remove the board I had to remove 5 Screws and disconnect 3 Terminals, the largest one was one was a bit fiddly, be gentle. DO NOT try to remove the two small circuit boards for the settings and on switch. The connectors are not repair friendly. inspect the removed board for swollen or burst capacitors, in my case there were 2 affected. Read the values, in my case 3300 at 10 Volt and 105 degree temp rating. Very Important a reputable repair shop told me only following types are suitable for Monitor or TV Power supply repair. Nichicon : PM ,PW ,HE , HD , HV , HM ,HN , HZ United Chemicon :LXZ ,KY , KZE , KZH , KZJ Rubycon : YXG , YXH , ZT , ZL ,ZLH ,ZLG ,MCZ Panasonic :FC ,FM
      I found the Panasonic type on E Bay for Eur 5,47 including postage. Fitted them, a bit fiddly as I had to lye them down due to larger than original OEM parts height. please use a decent soldering Iron rather than destroy the circuit board. Connections are lead free solder, add a little electronics solder before trying to remove the caps, it will be much easier after that. Reassembled carefully in reverse order. My Monitor is Monitor now OK. A replacement of similar quality would have been about 270 Euro according to the repair shop consulted.
      You may want to watch some videos on YouTube. I found none for my monitor but watching encouraged me to go ahead and try a repair. If you use other capacitors they will most likely fail very quickly and you will be frustrated.

olsztyn

Impressive… I used to repair TV sets and radios, not speaking of taking apart and fixing laptops but would not have such patience anymore…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

oops

Right,
          I had to change some electrolytic capacitors too few time ago … Low ESR, is usually better (faster)
          ex: Teapo SY 1000uF/35V 13x25mm Electrolytic capacitor Radial lead 5 mm 1000 µF 35 V 20 % (Ø x L) 13 mm x 25 mm – Low ESR – 105°C

ModdIt

Thanks for adding the info ops, maybe I should have been clearer,
            the capacitor types Nichicon : PM ,PW ,HE , HD , HV , HM ,HN , HZ United Chemicon :LXZ ,KY , KZE , KZH , KZJ Rubycon : YXG , YXH , ZT , ZL ,ZLH ,ZLG ,MCZ Panasonic :FC ,FM are all high quality and Low ESR, some or all of above variants should be available in all parts of the world.
            Maybe the Teapo SY type you used will have a long life in the power supply. Personally I lack long term experience and have no wish to experiment, as long as a part of the recommended type is available that is. The list above is from a big repair operation who guarantee their work for minimum 6 months and have passed on their experience from thousands of repairs and in some cases expensive warranty returns which they do their best to avoid.

@olsztyn, Thanks, repairing most anything is normal for me, I was a postwar kid in uk, in our village we were often cold and hungry. Along with other kids searching dumps and bins for anything we could maybe fix and use. Or eat. It is second nature for me to salvage things whenever it seems possible and worth doing rather than dump them. The comment on fixing radios is inspiring me to have a go at fixing a Kirksaeter receiver that has been abandoned by the previous owner. I am told it is very capable, if it can be made to work. Unfortunately no schematics available so I would have to be extremely careful.

olsztyn

I was a postwar kid in uk, in our village we were often cold and hungry.

I was a postwar kid too. Such hardships of living were not foreign to me either. Totalitarian at that time government, father in gulag in Siberia for expressing freedom of speech, etc… I also like to repair/salvage things rather than dump them in garbage and pollute our planet… Uncommon approach nowadays…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
              http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

oops

I also like to repair/salvage things rather than dump them in garbage and pollute our planet… Uncommon approach nowadays…

It will be more and more common in a few times, and all other the world.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by oops.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.