More Quirks with Pipewire. [SOLVED]

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo More Quirks with Pipewire. [SOLVED]

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Apr 26-9:40 pm by stevesr0.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robin

After full system upgrade and another remaster I lost pipewire completely and unexpectedly once the system was rebooted. Auto-fallback to plain alsa works (so I get a positive sound output test). But no longer any volumeicon in startup, even after another logoff/logon. Pipewire toggle from antiX control centre fails, comes back with the switch in “disabled” position always. Trying to run it manually from within console:

$ wpctl status
      Could not connect to PipeWire

And:

$ pipewire &
      [W][01836.779206] mod.rt       | [     module-rt.c:  316 translate_error()] RTKit error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
      [W][01836.779226] mod.rt       | [     module-rt.c: 1026 do_rtkit_setup()] RTKit does not give us MaxRealtimePriority, using 1
      [W][01836.779596] mod.rt       | [     module-rt.c:  316 translate_error()] RTKit error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
      [W][01836.779610] mod.rt       | [     module-rt.c: 1031 do_rtkit_setup()] RTKit does not give us MinNiceLevel, using 0
      [E][01836.779532] mod.protocol-native | [module-protocol-:  754 lock_socket()] server 0x5555c12dd2b0: unable to open lockfile '/run/user/1001//pipewire-0.lock': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
      [E][01836.779840] pw.conf      | [          conf.c:  573 load_module()] 0x5555c12b65d0: could not load mandatory module "libpipewire-module-protocol-native": Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
      [W][01836.779912] mod.rt       | [     module-rt.c:  316 translate_error()] RTKit error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
      [W][01836.779924] mod.rt       | [     module-rt.c: 1036 do_rtkit_setup()] RTKit does not give us RTTimeUSecMax, using -1
      [E][01836.780222] default      | [      pipewire.c:  105 main()] failed to create context: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
      [1]+  Exit 254                pipewire

Looks to me as if now there the runtime directory is missing.

$ echo $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
      /run/user/1001/
      $ ls /run/user/1001
      ls: Zugriff auf '/run/user/1001' nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

What now? How could this happen? Should I create the missing folder in /run/user ? Will try to follow this path and report back if success to bring pipewire back to life.

Some observations:
      While upgrading I noticed a session config file was updated, and apt asked me either to keep the former version (reccomended) or use the new version provided by the package maintainer. I compared them by pressing d and noticed for some reason it looked like the line pipewire & was removed and replaced by a commented out #pipewire & in the new startup, so I kept the former original.

Parallel to the full system upgrade I have installed a bunch of some last missing programs for my everyday needs. Unfortunately the antiX Live remaster has erased the former apt history in ‘/var/log/apt/history.log’ completely, so I can’t reconstruct now anymore what precisely I have added. (Side note @anticapitalista: Would it be possible to keep that specific file across Live remasters by default? That would render traceback of errors way easier). I only remember among the new packages were hydrogen, rosegarden, frescobaldi, lilypond, ardour, mencoder and kdenlive. Moreover I installed the current 6.6 debian-backports kernel, image and headers, but without activating it by now by running the live kernel updater.

Technical data:

System:
        Kernel: 6.5.0-0.deb12.4-amd64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 12.2.0 clocksource: tsc
          available: hpet,acpi_pm parameters: gfxsave lang=de_DE quiet splasht disable=lxF mount=all
        Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.7 dm: slimski v: 1.5.0 Distro: antiX-23.1-runit_x64-full Arditi del
          Popolo 20 February 2024 base: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
      Audio:
        Device-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK 5
          driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:3b56 class-ID: 0403
        Device-2: AMD Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300/7300 Series] vendor: ASUSTeK
          driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: gen: 2 speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 16 bus-ID: 01:00.1
          chip-ID: 1002:aa68 class-ID: 0403
        API: ALSA v: k6.5.0-0.deb12.4-amd64 status: kernel-api with: apulse type: pulse-emulator
          tools: alsactl,alsamixer,amixer
        Server-1: PipeWire v: 1.0.3 status: off with: 1: pipewire-pulse status: off 2: wireplumber
          status: off 3: pipewire-alsa type: plugin 4: pw-jack type: plugin tools: pw-cat,pw-cli,wpctl
      Repos:
        Packages: pm: dpkg pkgs: 2398 libs: 1274 tools: apt,apt-get,aptitude,synaptic
        Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
          1: deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/antix-archive-keyring.gpg] http: //ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/bookworm bookworm main nonfree nosystemd
        Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bookworm-backports.list
          1: deb http: //deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-backports main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
        Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list
          1: deb http: //ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ bookworm-updates main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
        Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
          1: deb http: //ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ bookworm main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
          2: deb http: //security.debian.org/ bookworm-security main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
        No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/librewolf.list
        No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list
      Info:
        Processes: 175 Uptime: 1h 50m wakeups: 0 Init: runit v: N/A runlevel: 2 tool: service Compilers:
        gcc: 12.2.0 alt: 12 Client: shell wrapper v: 5.2.15-release inxi: 3.3.31

P.S.: As soon there hits an antiX 6.6 (LTS) kernel the stable repos I’ll switch to that.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by Robin. Reason: solved

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Robin

Solved.

Obviously either the full system upgrade or one of the additional programs had messed up the proper runtime dir creation. Here what brings back Pipewire to life:

sudo mkdir /run/user/1001
        sudo chmod 0700 /run/user/1001
        sudo chown Robin:Robin /run/user/1001
        export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1001
        pipewire &
        volumeicon

Some additional notes:

– Without taking over ownership by your current user you’ll not be able to restart pipewire. From https://tk-sls.de/wp/3885 I get that the runtime folder is expected to be not owned by root, but by the respective user.

– The XDG_RUNTIME_DIR variable was set falsely to XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1001/ so I had to renew it also. The trailing slash produces false paths containing a double slash, see posting above: ‘/run/user/1001//pipewire-0.lock’ It has to read XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1001 instead.

– For some strange reason volumeicon & returns an error:

$ volumeicon &
        bash: Syntaxfehler beim unerwarteten Symbol »&«

But that is precisely the syntax as found in antiX startupfile also. I wonder why it complains. Ommitting the ampersand on console works.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

stevesr0

Hi Robin,

I am glad that what worked for me worked for you. Truly a rare occurrence when my post has been helpful to someone else <g>.

N.B. The suggestion to me to put that stuff in my .profile file came from anti-apXos.

In my minimalistic setup, the pipewire command is in my /etc/xdg/openbox/autostart file, and the runtime directory lines are in my /home/stevesr0/.profile file.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by stevesr0.
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.