Morning all!

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Morning all!

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Mar 14-9:27 pm by seaken64.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chrishall57chrishall57

Just a post to say Hi!

Not used Antix, or GNU/Linux for many years, used to post under the same name on the old forums.

Browsing the mags in the supermarket the other day decided to buy a copy of LinuxFormat and give it a go again. Decided the Mint offering on the DVD wasn’t that good and remembered Antix from a long time ago.

Have downloaded and burnt the Antix iso to DVD and created a bootable USB. All is working well aside from the wlan0 interface and mounting the Windows partition isn’t being persistent so might post about that if I can’t fix it.

capreacaprea

Hi chrishall57, welcome to the new antixforum and nice you found your way back !
    If you like to open a new thread for wlan please post there, if possible, the output from inxi -zv8 for giving more information.
    There’s a useful video about wifi
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/wifi-with-connman-antix-19-2/#post-41036

chrishall57chrishall57

Thanks caprea!

I did find that video when trawling the forums, will try it later.

syboksybok

Hi and welcome.
    Permanent mount of the Windows partition (assuming the drive is permanently connected) can be achieved by editing your ‘/etc/fstab’.
    Anyway, if you decide to edit it manually, always do a backup prior to any change!

BTW, Win (10) fast startup (or some other feature like that) may give you a read-only access because of risk of possible corruption.
    That’s what mount
    mount -r -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdxX <path-where-to-mount>
    complains about when I occasionally mount it.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by sybok. Reason: Fix (typo in) mount CMD
    Forum Admin
    DaveDave

BTW, Win (10) fast startup (or some other feature like that) may give you a read-only access because of risk of possible corruption.
    That’s what mount
    mount -r -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdxX <path-where-to-mount>
    complains about when I occasionally mount it.

Indeed, I am in the habit of disabling this feature when installing linux dual boot.
    If I recall correctly it is a checkbox in the power settings utility from the control centre.
    Sometimes this will magically re-enable itself.
    Holding shift and clicking shutdown in the menu should also cause full shutdown.
    You can also make a batch file with a regedit merge to disable the fast start feature and perform a full shutdown via the shutdown command. The regedit merge can also be added to startup if you trust it enough to ensure the fast startup feature remains disabled.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Dave.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Murdock2525Murdock2525

Ona them thar yankees eh ? “mornin y’all” is that thar korrecto English !
    Good to see you back to the best 😉

@chrishall57, welcome back to antiX. You’ve been only on Windows for awhile?, or another Linux Distro?

I used to set up mount points for Windows drives. It was easier in the 2000/XP/Vista/Win7 days. It’s harder now with Windows 10, but lot’s of people still do it and we can help. I decided it was easier to use a file server on the LAN and I keep most everything on the shared file server. I can get at all my files from either Linux or Windows. I don’t worry about mounting Windows partitions on dual boot machines any more. Or, I setup a separate partition to share between all the OS’s on the machine.

Seaken64

chrishall57chrishall57

No Yankee here, east of the Atlantic!

chrishall57chrishall57

Hi seaken64, thanks for the welcome!

Was using Linux dual back pre Mandrake 8, then went Linux only for about 4 years, then back to dual boot, then to Windows only. Now being drawn back to Linux!

Very good. I played with Mandrake a little, and Mandriva and Mageia. I tended to have older equipment so I landed on Vector Linux and then antiX and MX. Still use Windows everyday also. I understand being “drawn” to linux. I also am drawn to experimenting with linux. I tend to get irritated when I have to fix Windows but I enjoy tinkering and experimenting with Linux.

seaken64

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.