Mouse problems on antiX 19.1[solved]

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Mouse problems on antiX 19.1[solved]

• This topic has 32 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Feb 23-8:36 am by gerrygk.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Hey all,

I do have issues with my mouse on an antiX 19.1 x64 full installation. Really weird behavior of the menu bars, they all scroll up or down when in touch with the mouse pointer. As soon as a menu item is being in contact with the pointer, it is being opened without pressing any mouse buttons. So I’m not able to operate menus by intention.

Some short information of the hardware:
    Mainboard: MSI MS-7369 (K9N Neo V2), 8 Gb RAM -> Chipset: Nvidia nForce 520
    Graphics adapter: AMD Radeon HD 5450
    Mouse: optical, cable, USB / adapted to PS/2 port.

Note: I tried the mouse directly via USB port, and a different mouse. Same problems.

Any ideas? Maybe a problem of Nvidia drivers??
    Thx in advance

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by anticapitalista. Reason: solved
    Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Have you explored the antix control center > hardware > Mouse configuration settings yet?

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

How to do that without the mouse? As I said it’s not working properly.

I don’t know about key combinations to enter the menu. Where can I find that information?

capreacaprea

The windows-key should open the menu.The arrow -keys and enter you can use for handling the control-centre.
    I’m just wondering, did the problem already exist with live-usb ?
    Maybe it is a bad installation.You can also check the md5sum of the live-disk or usb on the live boot screen.

Thx for the hint, caprea. On that old keyboard I don’t have Win keys, but I’ll have to check this. The PC is located at a different site so I’ll have to go there first.

I guess that problem already existed with the live system, but I’ll try that again soon to be sure.

MD5 check was ok as far as I remember.

I’ll report briefly.

I finished the check now. The problem definitely exists with both the live system and the installed OS.

I’ve been able to open the mouse cfg settings in the control center (fortunately there were Win keys on the keyboard 😉 ) but I couldn’t solve the problem by any change of settings. Moreover, the arrow keys have been useless as there was no way to moving up and down in the menu item list. The choice always seems to automatically scroll down to the last item. So I had to take the letter keys, what finally worked. Really strange behavior.

I’m sure the mouse works fine so there’s no obvious hardware issue. (For example, it works as expected with Knoppix live systems.) Changing the WM is also useless. I guess it’s a software problem.

Maybe something wrong in the window focus configuration? What desktop environment do you use?

Have you did in terminal or console

sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade

after installation?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by AR.

Now I could manage to execute

sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade

with some difficulties. The package update obviously worked, but the problem still remains.

Btw, keyboard controls are also massively disturbed by this weird scrolling.

Guess I have to try some other OS for my old-timer electronics.

capreacaprea

Are there any other usb-devices connected that could interference with the mouse’s signal ?
    If the md5sum is OK you could try to install another kernel to the live-usb if another computer is available.

I finished the check now. The problem definitely exists with both the live system and the installed OS.

Wonder how you installed if you have a live media issue as you describe.

Do a fresh download, check the SHA256SUM.
    If ok write a new media boot from that, you are very likely to find the problem gone.

@ModdIt:

The installation worked because you only have to click the “Install” icon of the live system desktop. Anyway, there’s currently no chance to handle the menu bar as expected, and handling some opened app windows with the mouse is partially problematic so I have to use the arrow and tab keys instead.

Btw, md5 and sha256 checks of the iso file are positive. I also wrote a media boot twice with the same disappointing result.

Guess I’ll give it one more try, with the fewest hopes. I’ll keep you informed about the results.

gerrygk, have you tried another OS with this computer? If so, what about mouse behavior there?
    Now I suspect one of two problems:
    1. Problem with mouse driver (maybe kernel) in antiX.
    2. Hardware problem.
    Nothing more comes to mind yet…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by AR.

@caprea:
    Additionally: There should be no USB interference at all. The devices are all plugged at separate ports.

@AR:

I’ve tried many other Linux distros, especially aimed at older hardware (> 10 years), but never had a problem like this.
    (Btw, I only succeeded in properly installing Knoppix 8.6 and Mint 18.3 as 64-bit versions. All the other attempts with 64-bit distros failed due to an installation program error.)

I’ve also tried the older antiX version (17.4), unfortunately with the same result.

A hardware problem can surely be excluded as the mouse works perfectly with Win OS’s. Then, only the mouse driver would be left…

capreacaprea

A hardware problem can surely be excluded as the mouse works perfectly with Win OS’s.

Also together with the other hardware? The only time I’ve seen such strange behavior was when my keyboard (on new to me laptop)was dirty and sticky on some keys and I didn’t know that and it took me some time to figure what’s going on.

The mouse driver should be in the kernel and if I remember right antiX17 and 19 have indeed the same kernel.If another computer is available you can try to change the kernel on a live-usb
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/video-update-your-kernel-on-antix-live-usb/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.