Moved: woes of windows/google

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins Moved: woes of windows/google

• This topic has 8 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Aug 29-2:12 pm by olsztyn.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Wallon

Dear rokytnji,

I pay a monthly subscription to VOO cable TV distributor in Belgium. If you understand French, you’ll see on the VOO forum that VOO only tests and provides support for Google Chrome (Windows 10). There used to be support for Firefox but that’s gone.

This week we noticed in my office that PCs using Google Chrome / Windows 10 had access to the Central Balance Sheet Office (Belgium) and not the other browsers. The IT people (subcontractors) have noticed this problem with our colleagues in other companies. Even with all pop-ups and cookies enabled and all ads accepted. We thought it was the firewall but it wasn’t.

We are seeing more and more of this kind of blocking. A well-known one is Netflix 4K, you need to use a minimum 3GB Nvidia card, Windows 10 and Edge Chromium.

For my daughter, the school uses an “Apschool” platform. The certificates were only recognised by Google Chrome and not for other browsers. It was scary for parents who had to make payments on this platform and who used another browser.

I use Firefox ESR, Firefox, Opera, Chromium and Google Chrome on the computers. I also need to synchronise with my smartphone. The worst thing is the smartphone, the applications do not open Opera (default browser on my smartphone) and uses Google Chrome. Also, a lot of video/TV are blocked on Opera Android (DRM enabled and all ads accepted). If it doesn’t work, I use Firefox Android which doesn’t have a translator (very annoying for the forums which are not in French). If that doesn’t work, I go back to Google Chrome like everyone else.

No more dreaming, this is today’s reality.

Best regards,
      Wallon

Forum Admin
      rokytnji

Yep. I guess Belgium aint Texas. Sounds like more laws than folks that live under em.

Don’t get me wrong. Texas has it’s own issues I aint happy with.

I am just surprised they are blocking user agent strings in your country.
        Hence why I mentioned another chrome based browser.

Edit: I find the windows only support disturbing also.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

@Wallon: I am very sorry that you face so many restrictions in your country.
          I can’t imagine why there would be preferences for Chrome and Windows – I wonder if Microsoft’s Edge and Windows also works?

In any case, that is extremely restrictive (and apparently explicit) coding restrictions that don’t make any particular sense. Perhaps this was coded by a naive coder who had no idea, or perhaps someone is on a “payroll” for someone with financial interests in these companies?

--
          Brian Masinick

olsztyn

Yep. I guess Belgium aint Texas. Sounds like more laws than folks that live under em.
            Don’t get me wrong. Texas has it’s own issues I aint happy with.

In US, particularly in republican states, lots of citizen’s rights and freedoms are assumed as assured by constitution.
            In EU, BE included, not quite so…
            – You want to drive an old classic car in Texas? No problem. In EU, perhaps you can drive it locally but not allowed into larger cities…
            – You have a troublesome tree on your property – in US you can cut it down – it is your property, right?. In EU you need to get a special permission to do so, certificate from inspector that the said tree has been decaying, very sick and became a danger of falling on your house…
            – Etc., etc…

I have close relatives in EU (Poland and Germany), visiting Europe often…
            Just my two cents…

Edit:
            Do you have a TV set, or justified possession of a few of them? Did you register them with authorities?
            In EU until some time ago you needed to register your TV sets with authorities, notwithstanding you had an antenna and received programming over the air… I think registration is no longer required though, thanks to long commercials…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
            http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

ModdIt

As removing language packs and applications is pretty easy anyone who wishes can do that within linits.
              After breaking antiX a few times they may well just accept that it is a very rounded package as is.

Very OT now: olstyn wrote you have to register your TV sets with authorities.

In Germany the TV Mafia is government supported, every houshold has to pay, you can even be jailed for refusing. Call china authoritarian ?.

I never watch TV because of all the crap they show, it just makes me feel sick that most europeans can and do consume mind bending idiotic junk.
              my daughter same. 52 Euro plus every three months for Polital Friends in ARD and ZDF TV and Radio offices.

Cutting down a tree in the garden is ok unless it has a so called preservation or monument order.

Tell me US, friends were fined for growing flowers in the front garden, only grassallowed.

Regarding older vehicles, if oldtime, ie more than 30 years old and extra registration they can go and spread massive pollution in citys, newer vehicles are pollution tested every two years in Germany and must have a green sticker in the windscreen to go inside for example Hannover city,

My car has that but as they do not want me in that place I shop elswhere. No way I will carry several weeks shopping around the city centre. Let it become a ghost town.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by ModdIt.
              • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by ModdIt.
              Wallon

In Belgium, we no longer have to pay and register our computer or TV to pay tax since January 2018.
                A computer screen was considered a TV screen at the time.

My job = tax consultant and certified accountant. You have to study for 8 years after you turn 18 in Belgium.
                Belgium has decided that it will no longer be possible to deduct a thermal vehicle for the self-employed, employees, companies from 1 January 2026.
                Everyone will have to drive a Tesla and have a heated garage to recharge their battery in winter. To protect the battery, Tesla will not charge below 5°Celsius.

In my business, everything runs on Windows / Google Chrome only.Take the example of ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) / CRM (Customer Relationship Management) software such as Navision, Oracle, DJEdwards, Odoo, SAP… all installed on Windows servers.

The Belgian state pays Microsoft a licence for each student every year.

The ITAA (Institute for Tax Advisors and Accountants) in Belgium publishes Excel files with lots of macros and pivot tables that are not compatible with LibreOffice.
                (it is not accessible to the public). I made a request for ODS or ODT files and it was rejected.

Everyone who works in finance has to use 2 or 3 screens on the same computer because we no longer use paper for bank statements, invoices….
                antiX still has to make a big effort in this area. You have already seen the foreign exchange traders, they work with 6 screens on the same PC. I have not found a simple documentation with Google to install Xinerama on antiX. This will make antiX bigger because ArandR is not enough… As a reminder, computer science is not my profession and therefore I’m limited. I already work 60 hours a week for my job and I don’t have enough time left for Linux / translation on Transifex / testing and my family.

I notice that people are abandoning old PCs faster and faster because of video conferences (Covid19 period) which require 4 cores to have a good video (Zoom, Microsoft Teams…).

To follow my online seminars, I use Linux but only with Google Chrome (not compatible with other browsers). Beware, if I have a connection failure, I don’t have my certificate. It’s really annoying and it’s costing me a lot of money for someone who is subject to continuous training for a minimum of 40 hours per year.

This is the reality, I work with Windows 10 / Google Chrome and I try Linux. I’m sad that I can’t do more with Linux.

Xecure

I am sorry for being off-topic here (skidoo hates it), but I feel the need to post and congratulate Wallon. His effort and dedication to testing and translating is already commendable. Please, take good care of your free and family time. I am very thankful already for the time you can provide and would hate that it would take away anything from your real life. And don’t worry about Linux. You need to adapt to what is possible. I need to log-in to Windows to do my yearly taxes, but fortunately can do (mostly) everything else on Linux, but others may not be as lucky.

On why Google Chrome is used for official services, I once worked with a programmer who worked for the company contracted by the local government to build and maintain some public websites, and the reason they only supported (back then) Internet Explorer was because of time and budget constrains. It was easier (and cheaper) to maintain and give support to only one browser, so all public websites the company managed only worked on Internet Explorer (and of course Windows).
                  I don’t know how it works in the USA, but here (EU) most countries have Identity Cards that are used (with a card reader) to verify the citizen’s identity and give them access to (online) public services to pay taxes, fill out forms, etc. Alternatively, you can also use special “browser certificates” that are used to identify the user for the same purposes. Most of the times, these certificates only work on certain browsers, and many times they limit the use of the operating system, as they haven’t been tested (on them) and possible bugs could lead to Identity Theft.

Things have changed a bit, and now they support only Firefox (not so well anymore) and Google Chrome (in my country), and luckily some online services are multi-platform (including special apps for Android/iOS).

Would/could a moderator move the off-topic posts to a different thread to keep this thread on-topic?

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                  General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Xecure

Thanks, anticapitalista, for splitting the topic.
                    Posting here so that it appears in “Topic freshness”

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

olsztyn

antiX still has to make a big effort in this area. You have already seen the foreign exchange traders, they work with 6 screens on the same PC. I have not found a simple documentation with Google to install Xinerama on antiX. This will make antiX bigger because ArandR is not enough…

In a recent thread in this forum, namely ‘dwm as default wm’, started by blur13, andyprough outlines a simple process to install Xinerama and DWM on antiX. Very simple as even I could do it without a hitch…
                      DWM window manager on antiX provides capability of multiple screens on the same antiX, running separate apps. I think the number of such screens is up to 9 by default but I think this limit can be easily increased if you need more…
                      As I understand DWM is particularly suited to such use…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.