Moving to AntiX from Debian 9

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Moving to AntiX from Debian 9

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Mar 18-8:59 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kirara

Hello Folks,

I do realize Deb9 is EOLed last summer but there was always something which hold me back from not just upgrading that but moving to any other OS-es. Usually I use something until it breaks (in case of OSes that is about the point you can’t do youtube anymore because your browser is not supported anymore :)).

I have a Latitude 7480 with i7-6600U which by itself is getting obsoleted hardware wise. Last year I have spent couple of days doing an AntiX migration on the same laptop with a clean hard drive. I thought I write down my experiences, maybe someone get some ideas how to fix things or it will be useful for others. This year this laptop getting trashed so I moving to a Ryzen 9 5900HX based new laptop.

What works

-Proper shutdown of the system

-Vmware workstation pro 16 (16.2.3 build-19376536) works fine

What kinda works/annoying/bugged

CPUs seem to run on maximum corespeed even if the system is idle.

Every 0.1s: grep “^[c]pu MHz” /proc/cpuinfo rhino: Sat Jun 11 22:34:08 2022

cpu MHz : 3077.146 cpu MHz : 3210.941 cpu MHz : 3160.514 cpu MHz : 3143.617

-Rdesktop got new annoying certificate detection feature

-User in no groups by default needed to be added to bunch of groups like dialout video audio

-Xorg need idiotic new configuration to be startable from the deep console.

apt-get install xserver-xorg-legacy
      cat /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config 
      allowed_users=anybody
      needs_root_rights=yes

-Resolvconf is a god damn link!!!

What doesn’t work (Some of this might be fixed on my new laptop, I hope)

-Rdesktop seems to be lagging issues while scrolling in the damn windows VM

-Weird artifacting while rapidly moving windows in IceWM

-Firefox 95 borders missing bug multiple versions (other apps like vlc works, fluxbox related)

-Fluxbox artifacting on secondary screen

-Fluxbox copy bug: if browser runs on monitor 1 and user copies something from monitor 2 then after the copy keys freeze in firefox (can’t type anymore)

-oss-compat < still missing needed for vmware old oses sound card emulation

PPC

-Weird artifacting while rapidly moving windows in IceWM

-Firefox 95 borders missing bug multiple versions (other apps like vlc works, fluxbox related)

-Fluxbox artifacting on secondary screen

-Fluxbox copy bug: if browser runs on monitor 1 and user copies something from monitor 2 then after the copy keys freeze in firefox (can’t type anymore)

-oss-compat < still missing needed for vmware old oses sound card emulation

– Why are you using an outdated browser? Also, if it’s a fluxbox problem, there’s nothing we can do, try reporting the problem the it’s devs…
        – On artifacts – please try installing a compositor (like compton) and running it. Also you may try new kernels, either newer or older…
        – I have only 1 screen, so I never noticed that “copy bug” when I was using Fluxbox… Once again, please report that to it’s dev’s—
        On antix 22, apt search oss-compat returned this:

oss-compat/stable 7 amd64
          Open Sound System (OSS) compatibility package

So it should be available…

P.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
        Robin

I have a Latitude 7480 with i7-6600U which by itself is getting obsoleted hardware wise. […] This year this laptop getting trashed.

Not in the antiX world. You are living in a parallel universe.

oss-compat

Why using this outdated emulation concept? Try alsa-oss or osspd instead.

Firefox 95

95? Really? Even on antiX 19 firefox is 102.9.0esr-1~deb10u1 by default.

CPUs seem to run on maximum corespeed even if the system is idle.

Check out using e.g. htop which process is responsible. It might easily be caused by your vmware thing, which is wellknown to behave this way. If so, you should report the issue to the vmware devs. Have seen similar issues from virtualbox after accessing the parallel port from within a guest.

fluxbox… fluxbox… fluxbox…

antiX is not fluxbox. If there are fluxbox issues, please report them to the fluxbox devs. Meanwhile try check out one of the other available wms antiX provides. Herbstluftwm is a nice thing if you know how to handle it, but you may be better off with icewm.

Xorg need idiotic new configuration to be startable from the deep console.

apt-get install xserver-xorg-legacy

Not sure what you’ve messed up, I’ve never seen that. Why are you installing this legacy thing at all? It is only needed to wrap xorg for heavily outdated drivers… You are on a Core i7, nothing should be outdated. So, what are you doing?

User in no groups by default needed to be added to bunch of groups like dialout video audio

You are talking obviously about some other distro, in antiX all this is preset properly by default. Have you mixed up something?

When reading your quirks listing, you must have messed up your system beyond repair by doing some weird things (no clue what it could have been). Try start over and run antiX 22 full from a live USB first to learn how it is to be treated. Do a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade also on live first, then do a live remaster. Make sure the proper graphics driver is running instead of framebuffer mode. Since you are on a powerful modern CPU, give a kernel upgrade a chance. Then use live kernel updater to check out different recent kernels (e.g. 6.1.10-antix.1-amd64-smp) in Live first. After having tailored your system this way in live mode, just install it from this tailored USB device. It should carry over all to your hdd.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Xunzi_23

Just a note,
            There is also the extended long term support project from freexian
            The end of support dates may be extended even further, just needs paying organizations.

Debian 8 Jessie can be supported until June 2025
            Debian 9 Stretch can be supported until June 2027

http://www.freexian.com/lts/extended/docs/how-to-use-extended-lts/

Freexian supported kernels are 4.19 and 5.10.

Brian Masinick

http://raphaelhertzog.com/mastering-debian/ is a very interesting page that I found from the link provided above by Xunzi_23
              http://www.freexian.com/lts/extended/docs/how-to-use-extended-lts/

Thank you very much!

--
              Brian Masinick

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.