Multi-init antiX 23.1 x32 minimal sysvinit+runit+s6-rc+s6-66+openrc 636Mb

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins Multi-init antiX 23.1 x32 minimal sysvinit+runit+s6-rc+s6-66+openrc 636Mb

• This topic has 7 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated May 31-2:39 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    calciumsodium

Multi-init antiX 23.1 x32 minimal respin (636 Mb) contains sysvinit+runit+s6-rc+s6-66+openrc, fits in CD

Inspired by the pioneering work of @ProwlerGr.

I started with my antiX 23.1 x32 minimal iso (633 Mb), which contains sysvinit init, and then manually installed and set up runit, s6-rc, s6-66, and openrc from .deb files from @ProwlerGr’s experimental init-diversity repository. Also did further optimization.

Resulting in

iso size: 636 Mb

contains inits:

sysvinit (default)
      runit
      s6-rc
      s6-66
      openrc

kernel: 5.10.197-antix.1-486-smp
      Minimal firmware
      English only
      no headers
      no dkms

Note:
      I have set up and confirmed so that sysvinit and runit have no logging of runsv programs in this iso. This will save your hard drives from constant input-output disk writes. As a result, all inits in this iso have very quiet i/o disk writes.

username: antix
      password: antix

Download here:

https://archive.org/details/multi-init-anti-x-23.1-x-32-minimal-636-mb-respin-sysvinitrunits-6-rcs-6-66openrc-cd

If you want to add firmware, I have included firmware here:

https://archive.org/details/firmware.tar_20240527

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by calciumsodium.
      Brian Masinick

Another great spin, @calciumsodium! This one I won’t be able to run on my regular system because it won’t connect to any network with a Version 5 kernel. IF I have time to test with an older system, I may be able to give this a try.

Meanwhile, I AM using your lightweight respin of antiX 23.1 with sysVinit; using right now in fact.

Keep up with the respins; I’ve been enjoying what you and @techore have done recently.

As for @ProwlerGr, yes indeed; I use his init-diversity version; at the moment I only have it on my HP-14; my older Lenovo Thinkpad X201 might be a good place to try out your lighter version; it’s a 64-bit machine, but it should be able to boot with your setup; if and when I can get that unit going for a while, I may be able to try this one out!

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Trying to download and install on my Lenovo Thinkpad X201 now; I’ll let you know how it goes!

--
          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Got the image downloaded and installed; I WILL also need the firmware in order to get the network going, so I’m going to try that next.

The image, as is, boots fine on the Thinkpad X201; network not available though; will retry AFTER firmware is added.

--
            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Got the firmware installed and this software is now working on my Thinkpad X201; nice job!

--
              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
                inxi -zv4
                System:
                  Kernel: 5.10.197-antix.1-486-smp arch: i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 12.2.0
                  Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.5 Distro: antiX-23.1_386 May 31 2024 base: Debian
                    GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
                Machine:
                  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 3249CTO v: ThinkPad X201
                    serial: <superuser required>
                  Mobo: LENOVO model: 3249CTO serial: <superuser required> BIOS: LENOVO
                    v: 6QET66WW (1.36 ) date: 05/31/2011
                Battery:
                  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 78.8 Wh (99.4%) condition: 79.3/84.2 Wh (94.1%)
                    volts: 12.1 min: 10.8 model: Panasonic 42T4696 status: not charging
                CPU:
                  Info: dual core model: Intel Core i7 M 620 bits: 64 type: MT MCP
                    arch: Westmere rev: 5 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 512 KiB L3: 4 MiB
                  Speed (MHz): avg: 1309 high: 1395 min/max: 1199/2667 boost: enabled cores:
                    1: 1304 2: 1395 3: 1277 4: 1261 bogomips: 21280
                  Flags: ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3
                Graphics:
                  Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: Lenovo
                    driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen-5.75 bus-ID: 00:02.0
                  Device-2: Lenovo Integrated Webcam driver: uvcvideo type: USB
                    bus-ID: 1-1.6:5
                  Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
                    unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: crocus gpu: i915 resolution: 1280x800~60Hz
                  API: OpenGL v: 2.1 vendor: intel mesa v: 22.3.6 glx-v: 1.4
                    direct-render: yes renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics (ILK)
                Network:
                  Device-1: Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network vendor: Lenovo driver: e1000e
                    v: kernel port: 1820 bus-ID: 00:19.0
                  IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
                  Device-2: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel
                    bus-ID: 02:00.0
                  IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
                Drives:
                  Local Storage: total: 119.24 GiB used: 5.07 GiB (4.2%)
                  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: THNS128GG4BAAA-NonFDE
                    size: 119.24 GiB
                Partition:
                  ID-1: / size: 116.81 GiB used: 5.07 GiB (4.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
                Info:
                  Memory: total: N/A available: 2.88 GiB used: 822.3 MiB (27.9%)
                  Processes: 144 Uptime: 9m Init: SysVinit runlevel: 2
                  Packages: 1251 Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0 Shell: Bash v: 5.2.15 inxi: 3.3.34

--
                Brian Masinick

calciumsodium

Hello Mr @Brian,

Glad that it is working for you. The beauty of the minimal system and the available firmware on the side is that you only need to install only the necessary firmware that you need for your system. Or if you don’t want to bother with it, you can copy all the firmware over to your system. And then reboot, then you are good to go.

Brian Masinick

I’ve got space, even on OLD hardware, so I was lazy and just brought it all in.
                    Believe it or not, the only thing was downloading the software; that
                    archive site was generating speeds similar to speeds my old hardware generated,
                    even though I did all of my DOWNLOADS from my current generation system and only
                    INSTALLED the image and the firmware to the OLD system.

Guess I’m “spoiled”. The Thinkpad X201 is still solid hardware, but the HP-14
                    has about THREE times (or more) throughput; I could have taken a “cat nap”
                    during the various steps; it DID work really well, and I found that if
                    I went to /usr/lib, put the firmware tarball there, and extracted it into
                    /usr/lib/firmware, it was easy and effortless to accomplish; had I extracted
                    only the wireless firmware and network drivers that probably would have worked
                    too; that was all that was “missing” from your nimble image!

Great job with this!

--
                    Brian Masinick

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.