Multi-partition Trash for SpaceFM?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Multi-partition Trash for SpaceFM?

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Sep 30-1:40 am by BobC.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PenguinGuy

Has anyone gotten this multi-partition Trash plugin in working for SpaceFM: https://github.com/tri1976/bashscripts

The developer told me you have to install both the plugin in the folder & this script here: https://github.com/tri1976/bashscripts/tree/master/trash

I was able to install the plugin, but the extra required script gives a: “Error installing plugin (invalid plugin file?)”

Dev says he doesn’t use SpaceFM anymore so it’s sort of abandonware (but should still work).

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by PenguinGuy.
    skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Read the spaceFM User Manual and understand that an installable plugin would be (must be) a tar.gz file

The manual also explains how to install a plugin.

FWIW, I do not find a usable set of files at the “tri1976” page you linked.
    A ready-to-be-packed directory containing a set of files intended to serve as a spaceFM plugin would contain a manifest file named “plugin”, along with one or more subdirectories (whose names are typically prefixed with “cmst_”) containing script files.

My advice, toward avoiding what I expect will be an excercise leading to frustration / failure:
    NOT specific to trash, don’t bother “messing around” trying to get any of the found-on-the-net spaceFM plugins working.

For a file manager which provides “trash” functionality , you can install “pcmanfm” along with “gvfs-backends” packages (search for pcmanfm in prior antixforum topics)

PenguinGuy
    Helpful
    Up

The plugins are located here, & I already installed the trash one: https://github.com/tri1976/bashscripts/tree/master/spacefm-plugin

These plugins are linked on the main page of SpaceFM as the primary trash.

The Dev said that “You need to install the “trash” script https://github.com/tri1976/bashscripts/tree/master/trash and add it to your PATH.”

This is true that the plugin does have an error that it is missing the “trash” command, but has all the icons. It just needs to be assembled right.

I’m assuming it needs to be repackaged, but if someone has some experience that would be great.

As for PCmanFM, the trash gives the error ‘Operation not supported’ — maybe because it’s conflicting with SpaceFM?

Anyways, isn’t the entire point of SpaceFM vs PCmanFM customization & plugins? This is why I don’t understand zzzFM — it’s seems entirely illogical to make a non-customizable SpaceFM with no plugin support.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

zzzFM — it’s seems entirely illogical to make a non-customizable SpaceFM with no plugin support.

? It was entirely illogical to remove the ill-conceived spaceFM “download and install plugin codez from the net, then plaster forums with help requests cuz ‘stuff’ don’t hardly work” thing? Hmmm…

okay bye

PenguinGuy
    Helpful
    Up

zzzFM — it’s seems entirely illogical to make a non-customizable SpaceFM with no plugin support.

? It was entirely illogical to remove the ill-conceived spaceFM “download and install plugin codez from the net, then plaster forums with help requests cuz ‘stuff’ don’t hardly work” thing? Hmmm…

okay bye

Plug-ins are a common concept in software. There’s a single partition Trash Can plugin that I have installed that works fine.

Don’t take things personally just because you don’t like trash cans, plugins or can handle any criticism.

The zzzfm thread has people asking for plugin support — it’s not an original idea or something.

Oh & antiX (+most Linus distros) are downloaded & installed from the internet — I doubt most people personally go through every line of code & package to make sure there wasn’t any malware before they install it. A plugin is even simpler & thus less likely to have bad code (since it’s not compiled & there is less to read).

But anyways, speaking specifically off zzzfm, why can’t you just have a compile option for the plugins like with the video thumbnails?

People used SpaceFM for years & there computers didn’t implode because they could install plugins.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Don’t take things personally just because you don’t like trash cans, plugins or can handle any criticism.

“I don’t understand why” is not actionable criticism. My prior antixforum posts have explained why, in a mix-n-match assemblage of programs running under a window manager (vs interlocking programs designed for use within a specific “desktop environment”) the behavior of a trash mechanism is inherently inconsistent//unreliable. (BTW, same can be observed for “Recently Used”). I have no general dislike of “Plugins”. Geany has some great plugins that I use & recommend…

speaking specifically off zzzfm, why can’t you just have a compile option for the plugins

Earlier, I had replied in the hope of sparing you from the (IMO) inevitable frustration associated with spaceFM plugins. I’m not here to reiterate or defend design choices.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

People used SpaceFM for years & there computers didn’t implode because they could install plugins.

Enough did to have me issue a system without them, if a user really wants to make a lot of changes and play with plugins he
    is on a path to learning. to keep backups of important files.Think before deleting.
    Not have a huge trash file taking up valuable disk space.

I am glad that zzzfm is lightweight, fast uncomplicated and stable. Not an egg laying bacon producing milk giving flying horse.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Chuckling here because it (zzzFM) arguably is, still, an “egg laying bacon producing milk giving flying horse”

Per spaceFM, how were “plugins” created? One would first create a “custom action” (functionality still available in zzzFM), then “export” it, for later reuse or for distribution to other users…

Instead of utilizing a proprietary xxxFM -specific “action” and, if a runtime GUI is involved, constraining its use by the limitations inherent to the “xxxFM dialog”… for most considerably complex “actions”, we are all better served by directly employing non-proprietary shell scripts (along with “yad” or any other GUI toolkit). For simplistic [but variable] tasks, e.g. “resize %F imagefiles to %Z width*height”, the export–}distribute–}download–}install shenanigans represent ridiculous overkill.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I do like the ability to define a trash folder and use that functionality for Geany, which suffices for me. Every once in a while I need to look back at an old version of something, but typically it’s a program or script that I was messing with, not files I deleted with the file manager.

I also like having Geany remember what I had open and save copies of the list periodically in case it gets lost otherwise.

I don’t think there has been any file I’ve lost that I needed and deleted by mistake otherwise in the past 10 years.

No general Recycle bin needed here…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.