multibooting antiX installs grub failure

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks multibooting antiX installs grub failure

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated Feb 12-9:15 pm by aquafoxyirina.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    aquafoxyirina

Some time ago I setup a second install of antiX on one of my antiX computers, this one unencrypted while original has the standard encrypted root, swap, and home (not boot), with second new install having separate boot, swap, root, and home partitions. When I turned off computer in order to turn back on and boot into antiX, grub forgot about my original install (even though it still fully existed). This was stressful! xD
      I tried os-prober to get grub to find the older antiX but it found nothing. Anyway. That’s just the setup. The good part is, in this kind of situation, there’s a manual way to handle it I discovered!

The idea is, when you first see your grub menu after turning computer on, you can view the actual commands that grub runs when normally simply selecting an OS to boot, and from there, you can copy exactly what it has (perhaps on pen and paper) and enter the commands yourself from the grub shell instead of relying on menu entries.

In case of having to access an encrypted partition on your PC from an OS that did *not* unlock it during boot, while running normally in the secondary install, first issue lsblk to see all partitions (unless you know exactly already), then (example where sda1 is the other /boot partition):

sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda1 sda1_crypt

, enter the encryption password,

sudo mount /dev/mapper/sda1_crypt /mnt

Then from here, you can open the file /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg in text editor and carefully read it to find out what commands your grub issues as part of normal menu start. try text searching for antiX in grub.cfg, for example mine has the relevant part:

menuentry ‘antiX-22-runit Grup Yorum’ –class antix_22_runit –class gnu-linux –class gnu –class os $menuentry_id_option ‘gnulinux-simple-c16ac437-47a8-46e6-91d5-58aac506faba’ {
      	load_video
      	insmod gzio
      	if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
      	insmod part_gpt
      	insmod ext2
      	search –no-floppy –fs-uuid –set=root c16efd34-7056-4f27-ab3e-6ea1cfb0829e
      	echo	‘Loading Linux 5.10.173-antix.1-amd64-smp …’
      	linux	/vmlinuz-5.10.173-antix.1-amd64-smp root=UUID=c16ac437-47a8-46e6-91d5-58aac506faba ro  quiet selinux=0
      	echo	‘Loading initial ramdisk …’
      	initrd	/initrd.img-5.10.173-antix.1-amd64-smp
      }

For example, how I boot my older encrypted antiX on this computer:

load_video
      insmod gzio
      insmod part_gpt
      insmod ext2
      search –no-floppy –fs-uuid –set=root bunch-of-letters-and-numbers

–no-floppy is 2 dashes before “no”, –fs-uuid is 2 dashes before “fs”, –set=root is 2 dashes before “set”

linux /vmlinuz-5.10.173-antix.1-amd64-smp root=UUID=other-long-letters-and-numbers ro quiet selinux=0
      initrd /initrd.img-5.10.173-antix.1-amd64-smp

and then if no errors, as the last command,

boot

(i’m not typing out my actual UUID haha but that’s format that works 100% for me, but probably varies for anybody else!)

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by aquafoxyirina.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.