multiple user workstation

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions multiple user workstation

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Dave Feb 16-4:49 am.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    koyote

I’ve got a bit to learn to adapt to the antix Way, but….

first deployment is on a thinkcentre all in one with a core i3 and 4gB RAM. snappy. I’m impressed. However, I have wife, girl, and 4 kids. I really need a generic ctrl-alt-l lock function and a display manager. Locking the screen in the default ROX-icewm just gives me a blank screen and then a cursorless password prompt (which works), but doesn’t give a way to switch users.

Didn’t turn up anything on the search, so: any suggestions on the best way to handle my need for c-a-l and xdm (or whatever. slim is fine if it works)

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

We use the SLiM display manager on antiX. I think that if you just log out of your session then you will get to SLiM and anyone else can then log in with their password. Of course you need to disable the auto-login feature in SLiM.

Our sister distro MX-Linux uses lightdm and light-locker for locking the screen but IIRC lightdm works the same way for switching users. If you disable auto-login and then log out of your session anyone else can log in with their username and password.

I’m not sure what you mean by a “ctrl-alt-l” lock function but this is not my area of expertise. If I misunderstood what you are trying to do, I apologize.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

koyote

Thankyou. I’m not terribly familiar with slim. Generally what we do using something like xdm or lxdm is to lock the screen and switch user sessions. So I will often have more than one person logged in at a time.

I tried tossing xdm on and it broke the desktop – not sure what dependencies there are in that. I can always just do a different virtual terminal for each of the kids, but was hoping to do it graphically in this case.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by koyote.
    Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

MX Linux has something like what you want using lightdm and light-locker. They do offer a feature to lock the screen and allow you to log in as another user on another virtual console. Then you can switch back and forth with and . You could ask them about it in the MX Linux Forums.

I think it is easy enough in antiX to start a new X server on tty8 (the default is on tty7). You would then just need a screen “locker” that allows you to switch to a different virtual console. OTOH, with only 4 Gig, ISTM you will run out of memory fairly quickly if you have multiple X sessions running with browser windows and tabs and so on.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Dave

To get the default desktop is a bit of a trick when trying to run another window manager. This is because slim calls desktop-session in /usr/local/bin. (you can see this in /etc/slim.xonf) I am not certain how xdm is configured but it will likely need to be the same. Iirc the easiest way to do this is to make another desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions with the exec line being /usr/bin/desktop-session. This should start using the last used desktop and allow changes per user by using the other desktops menu entry. I have no idea if this still works though.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.