MX Boot item takes me to antiX How does this work?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions MX Boot item takes me to antiX How does this work?

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Apr 3-1:11 am by techore.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    stevesr0

Last year (or so), I messed up the booting of one of my systems and could only get to a grub rescue menu.

In my F12 select boot choice menu, I had options for MX Linux as well as for antiX Linux. I also had a Windows 10 option. With antiX Linux or Windows 10 as the choice, I went to grub rescue.

However, when I selected MXlinux, that took me to a regular working GRUB menu from which I could start the installed antiX Linux.

However, I never installed MX Linux on this system.

How is it that that entry came to be there and was able to get me to a working grub menu from which I could launch antiX?

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by stevesr0.
      seaken64

Gonna need more info. What distros DID you install? and in what order? Do you still use and update Windows 10? What kind of BIOS is being used? BIOS or UEFI? Is there a UEFI boot menu and a Legacy boot menu when you hit F12?

When you choose MX from the list does it actually launch MX? or does it launch antiX?

Can you share your output of “inxi -Fxzr”?

Seaken64

techore

Can you share your output of “inxi -Fxzr”?

I suspect it is UEFI, but share details on your computer using inxi. You can copy and paste into a .txt or redirect using ‘inxi -Fxzr > inxi.txt’ then attach.

abc-nix

The famous “Boot Repair” is an MX tool. It hasn’t been properly adapted to antiX, so when you “Reinstall grub” on a UEFI system, it creates an entry named “MX ….”, even if launched from antiX. So the MX entry you see is in reality the one created by Boot repair for repairing the boot for antiX.

I was also surprised the first time I used the tool, but that is what it does.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by abc-nix.
            stevesr0

Hi abc-nix.

That makes sense. I almost certainly did run boot repair. So, the contents of the MX named item produced would depend on the actual distro installed (antiX vs MX), rather than be in some way “MX-based”.

So if I just renamed the MX item antiX, it would still work as well and I wouldn’t be mystified <g>.

Hi techore and seaken64,

Thanks for comments. I am going to consider abc-nix’s response as a “solution” at this point.

seaken64

I think this only happens on the UEFI menu. You could try switching to Legacy mode in the BIOS and then run Boot Repair again and write to the MBR. That’s assuming your partition scheme supports MBR/BIOS mode.

Seaken64

stevesr0

Hi all,

I tested abc-nix’s point by renaming the MX21 directory antiX21 and rebooting using the newly renamed antiX21 selection to boot to the grub menu.

Interesting that it only does that name change on UEFI systems.

So that issue is solved.

Hi seaken64,

That system is a UEFI with a compatibility option. If the renaming hadn’t worked, I might have switched the UEFI to Legacy mode.
                  (If that altered the boot from an esp partition to an MBR partition, I probably would not have tried, for fear of messing up the system.)

Thanks for comments.

techore

Well done, @stevesr0!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.