My antiX “fu” is not strong (but is now stronger) (Solved)

Forum Forums General Software My antiX “fu” is not strong (but is now stronger) (Solved)

• This topic has 37 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Apr 11-2:35 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Hi Robin, I guess seaken64 will further clarify :-).

I take strong Fu/Weak fu to be associated with capability, deeper knowledge, (developed chi too)
    Have seen the terms before related to some Martial arts, self development methods and theory from Asia.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by ModdIt.
    Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

I believe that Seaken64 was previously stating that his expertise in antiX, in terms of using advanced applications and configurations was not very accomplished, but at this point I think that he has made a great deal of progress and that expertise and ability to learn has been well demonstrated.

He certainly did some things I’ve not done before. Congratulations in any case on some useful tips and a great exercise in learning.

Brian Masinick

Hi seaken64,
    it’s great news you have managed to install the legacy nvidia 304 driver in antiX 19.3. Since I have done this also, following the instructions found in the nvidia 6800 /6600 thread, and encountered some problems afterwards, I have some questions:

1.) Can you flawlessly start spacefm and the other programs I mentioned? Or do you see the same error instead, concerning the missing libvdpau.so.1 file?

2.) Did you apply the patches needed to make nvidia driver work in antiX 19? (If not, does it work anyway?)

3.) Could you please be so kind and describe exactly which steps you did in which order exactly, to succeed? (I’m still struggling with the missing libvdpau.so.1, and meanwhile thinking about restarting the process from scratch following the method you deployed this time instead.

P.S.: Just for my curiosity since I’m not a native speaker, I have no Idea what you mean by saying “stong fu / weak fu“. Seems to be kind of idiomatic expression, even dictionaries don’t know it.

Hi Robin,

on #1 – so far I have noticed any issues with SpaceFM, my file manager of choice. And I have not had any issue with libvdpau.so.1 file, though I admit to not knowing exactly what that does.

on @2 – I did not overtly apply any patches. The routine I used may have done so without my knowledge. See next.

on #3 – I highly recommend that you read the thread at the MX forum that I posted the link for. The general idea is to use the “preferences” file so that apt installs the Stretch versions of the files that apt needed for the 304xx legacy nvidia driver.

on P.S. 🙂 Yes, I’m just having a little fun. “Linux fu” is a term sometimes used by hackers to express their skill. I’m a fan of the old TV show King Fu and the recent Kung Fu Panda movies. But the term really springs from some marshal arts movies similar to what we see from Bruce Lee. This is what we would call “B” movies here in the states. But it’s just for fun. I’m saying my skills are stronger than they once were. Don’t use the dictionary. Use a search engine like Google and search on “Linux fu”

seaken64

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by seaken64.

Additional question:
    4.) Do you have Xorg 19 or 20 after applying your way of installing the nvidia 304 driver? The way described in the nvidia 6800/6600 thread mentioned above leads to version 19 only, so it would be of some interest to me whether you have or somebody else has got version 20 instead.
    Many thanks!

The “preferences” file routine I used yields a Xorg 1.19. After running the routine you put a “hold” on the Xorg files and other files from Stretch.

Note, with antiX there is no need to change the kernel. It is already using a default kernel that works with the 304xx nvidia drivers.

seaken64

@moddit, yes that is the reference exactly. Except my use of the term is not to be taken seriously. It’s an attempt at some levity.

seaken64

@Brian, yes, you get the idea I was trying to express.

I was at first disappointed in my ability to set up this “new” old computer with antiX, thinking I could manage to do most of the setup myself. It turned out I needed some help, which I got from this forum and the MX forum. But, again, I learned a lot and my skills have been built up. Thank you for the encouragement.

seaken64

seaken64:All of us ask questions and also read, experiment, make mistakes, persist and eventually learn. You’ve done well.

Keep it up; you can do whatever you really want to accomplish.

Brian Masinick

I turned on this “new” old machine this morning and booted to antiX-19. I was going to modify the grub bootline to add “noapic”. I edited /etc/default/grub and added “noapic” to the bootline and then saved and ran “update-grub”. During the update-grub I got input/output errors from the hard drive. From that point on I could not boot and I could not even load the hard drive with Gparted. The hard drive had died.

So, I decided this was a good opportunity to see what I had learned. I had this new unused SSD so I put it in this machine and disconnected the old hard drive. I then started rebuilding what I had previously done with this machine before the hard drive died.

I partitioned the new SSD and installed the latest antiX-19.3 64-bit from USB. Then I proceeded to modify the config files needed to allow two wallpapers and position the Slim login prompt. I also adjusted the DPI to 120. Then I setup the Stretch repo in my sources and added a /etc/apt/preferences file. Then I installed the nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver package and rebooted. Then I enabled the deb-multimedia repo and installed Kodi 18.9, then after the installation I disabled the deb-multimedia repo.

That was it – I am now back where I was before the hard drive crashed. I’m feeling more confident now after this exercise – my antiX fu is stronger 🙂

Thanks for the encouragement and the help.
    seaken64

@seaken64 keep it up. You overcame another challenge. It won’t be the last time. Going forward you are well prepared for whatever you need.

Good work once again!

Brian Masinick

many thanks, @seaken64 for your answers and all the others for your explanation. My “fu” in understanding Engish expressions has grown a wee bit again :), as well as my antiX-fu.

For sure I had read the sources you had linked to before asking here, as well as many other pages found on the internet dealing with the 304 legacy driver on debian buster based systems. Allways finding instructions “do this and that”.

But let my centre the patches I mentioned. Following the course of action you observed while installing the driver (which isn’t that much different from the way I performed as it seems to be at first glance) I’m quite sure you don’t have the patches applied at all. You obviously have simply installed the version as present in antiX 17.4.1 from stretch repostitory in your 19.3 and set the packages to “hold”. So I really wonder what are the patches good for, and whether you observe any malefunction.

I can state at least, that the antiX 19.3 system runs rock stable and also fast now on this noteboook (with nvidia go 6600 GPU). So once I’ve tested everything I need for everyday usage I’ll step over from 17.4.1 finally.
    (The vdpau1 stuff is probably a multimedia thing, used by spaceFM file manager mandatory for some cloudy reason, and I was able to sort this out by properly reinstalling the correspondent lib simply)

Anybody around who can tell us what these patches are good for (and whether seaken64 should better apply them also)?

so long
    Robin

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Robin.

Hi Robin,

as I understand it, the patches are not needed with the default kernel used in antiX-19.3. The patches are only needed if the kernel is 4.14 or higher. Since the kernel in antiX is 4.9 they are not needed.

seaken64

OK, I had kernel updated before to 4.19.180-antix.1-686-smp-pae, so I had to use the first five patches.

The number of patches you’d have to apply is kernel-version dependent:

As you can see from the patch repository you would need to apply the very first patch which is intended for kernel 4.3 and above
    0001-disable-mtrr-4.3.patch
    since you are on 4.9. Next patch would be necessary for kernel 4.12 and above, and the third one from 4.14 onward and so on up to kernel 5.6 and above by now.

I *get* that various older kernels need patches to fix various things. My question here is that when we have 4.9 and 4.19 kernel updates in our own repository, are we applying both security and functional patches or something else?

Brian Masinick

Hello Brian,
    These patches don’t apply to the kernel itself (and therefore there is no need to apply them again after kernel updates, as long as the new kernel doesn’t need additional patches from the list, according to its version) but they apply to the nvidia driver package itstelf. I’ve just updated from 4.19.180-antix.1-686-smp-pae to 4.19.184-antix.1-686-smp-pae kernel fresh from our antiX repos, so no additional patches had to be applied since I had pached everything ready for the 4.19 kernel generation already during first setup. Only when upgrading to 5.x kernel series once I will have to apply the next additional patch(es) from the list, but as I said before, not to the kernels from our repository, but to the nvidia 304 driver itself, rendering it necessary to reinstall it in this specific case obviously (as long I stick to 4.19 kernel series updates there is no need to patch anything again during kernel updates from our repos).

So my question is still: does anybody have a clue what these patches do exactly? As we can learn from seaken64, everything seems to work fine without the patches just as well, so what are they good for?

So long
    Robin

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Robin.

That’s exactly why I asked what is included in our kernel patches.

Do we have to research each one or are there specific features always included in our kernel patches?

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.