My antiX “fu” is not strong (but is now stronger) (Solved)

Forum Forums General Software My antiX “fu” is not strong (but is now stronger) (Solved)

• This topic has 37 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Apr 11-2:35 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

I have no idea. It’s above my pay grade. But maybe it has to do with what you need to do. For me, I was just trying to get Kodi 18 to work without crashing. The approach that I took seems to have been successful for that purpose. Whether I should have run patches or not is is an open question.

seaken64

I really wonder what are the patches good for

The “patch from Jorge” mentioned in that other antixforum topic
    github.com/jorgem-seq/NVIDIA-Linux-304.137-patches/blob/master/patches/0001-disable-mtrr-4.3.patch
    lacks an explanation, but the same patch distributed for lxpup does provide an explanation
    sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/Other/nvidia/

— kernel/nv-linux.h
    +++ kernel/nv-linux.h
    @@ -256,6 +256,15 @@
    #include <linux/seq_file.h>
    #endif

+/*
    + * As of version 304.131, os-agp.c and os-mtrr.c still use deprecated
    + * kernel APIs for mtrr which are no longer exported since 4.3, causing
    + * the module to error out when loaded.
    + */
    +#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(4,3,0)
    +#undef CONFIG_MTRR
    +#endif
    +
    #if !defined(NV_VMWARE) && defined(CONFIG_MTRR)
    #include <asm/mtrr.h>
    #endif

So my question is still: does anybody have a clue what these patches do exactly?

patches, plural?
    I had read it as: the (a, one, singular) patch, downloadable from multiple places.
    In this case, the “exactly” seems clear
    “prevents the driver module from crashing due its attempt to include a non-existent ‘linux/seq_file.h’ header file”

what is included in our kernel patches.

Do we have to research each one or are there specific features always included in our kernel patches?

Below are some collected notes.
    I’m unaware of a FAQ or wiki page which provides these details.

March 2019
    Topic: MX Kernel vs antiX Kernel

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=49339

stevo:
    MX kernel is based on the upstream Debian kernel and backported by MX
    [..]
    The only change I make to the Debian config is to boost the kernel context switch frequency
    from 250 Hz to 1000 (Antix has the same setting). Debian uses 250, which is better for server use,
    but not so good for desktops.
    [..]
    There are no “MX patches” in the MX kernel.
    We may apply a security patch once in a while to the kernel and push an update
    if it’s a big security flaw, but those aren’t specific to MX

anticapitalisa:
    The antiX kernel is heavily based on siduction kernel.
    [..]
    antiX builds its kernel directly from kernel.org ie vanilla.
    It adds 5 patches, one being fbcondecor [to support framebuffer graphics during boot]. (not used in Debian/MX kernels)

Full list –
    debian/version.patch
    debian/uname-version-timestamp.patch
    debian/iwlwifi-do-not-request-unreleased-firmware.patch
    4200_fbcondecor.patch
    mt7601u_fix.patch

The config file can be found by downloading the linux-image deb, opening it and the conf file is in /boot.

v———– FWIW, Debian adds a lot of patches. You can browse them here:
    https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/-/blob/master/debian/patches/series

Feb 2019 topic: MX kernel vs Antix’s
    https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=48563

(paraphrasing here a post by stevo):

Both [MX and antiX kernels] only load modules on demand, so one shouldn’t be “lighter” on any given hardware.

[the available] Liquorix kernels have some differences:

MuQSS Process Scheduler: Fair process scheduler for gaming, multimedia, and real-time loads.

Preemptible tree-based hierarchical RCU: RCU implementation for real-time systems.

Hard Kernel Preemption: Most aggressive kernel preemption before requiring real-time patches. Guarantees responsive system under high intensity mixed workload scenarios.

Budget Fair Queue: Proper disk scheduler optimized for desktop usage, high throughput / low latency.

TCP BBR Congestion Control: Fast congestion control, maximizes throughput, guaranteeing higher speeds than Cubic.

Smaller TX Net Queues: Reduced queue size on network devices to combat buffer bloat.

Ubuntu ureadahead Support: Compatible with Ubuntu’s readahead.

Paravirtualization options enabled to reduce overhead under virtualization.

Minimal Debugging: Minimum number of debug options enabled to increase kernel throughput.

### Reading is more comfortable if you redirect the output to a text file for browsing,
    ### or pipe the output through grep if you are just looking to check a specific detail.
    cat /lib/modules/4.x.xyz-antix.1-amd64-smp/modules.order |less

### config details of the currently running kernel are exposed via vfs
    zcat /proc/config.gz |less

### plaintext files containing details of each installed kernel can be found here:
    /boot/config-*

Hello skidoo,

many thanks for investigating in this question!

patches, plural?
    I had read it as: the (a, one, singular) patch, downloadable from multiple places.

nope, there are actually available five different patches for nvidia 304.137 on recent antiX 4.19.184 kernel, which are meant to be applied to nvidia drivers running on different kernel versions sequently (including the lower ones to be applied on nvidia drivers on all the higher kernels also):

patch for 4.3 and above kernels

additional patch for 4.12 and above kernels

additional patch for 4.14 and above kernels

additional patch for 4.15 and above kernels

additional patch for 4.16 and above kernels

which are supposed to fix different problems. There are some more of them in

https://github.com/jorgem-seq/NVIDIA-Linux-304.137-patches/tree/master/patches

for the succeeding kernel series 5.x which I didn’t had to apply.

Robin

P.S.: Also many thanks for all the strong fu 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Robin. Reason: sentence structure was out of order
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Robin.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Robin.
    Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

Thanks for the details and explanation of the patches.

Brian Masinick

from http://cb.vu/unixtoolbox.xhtml

This is a practical guide with concise explanations, however the reader is supposed to know what s/he is doing.

That gave me a laugh!

seaken64

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

from http://cb.vu/unixtoolbox.xhtml

This is a practical guide with concise explanations, however the reader is supposed to know what s/he is doing.

That gave me a laugh!

seaken64

That is funny! Nevertheless, it is a solid guide for many commands and packaging styles. For the absolute beginner, there is a lot that will be difficult to understand, and yet, for someone with even moderate experience, the syntax and examples will be of some use. I think that a decent percentage of people using this forum will find at least some of the information worthwhile. For the absolute beginner, a text that does not provide much depth, but instead provides a starting point may be useful. However, after a moderate amount of reading, studying, actually trying things out, I think that many people will be surprised by how much of the information provided will begin to make sense. On the other hand, those who put in no effort whatsoever to learn won’t understand anything. I think it’s worth laughing, but I also think that you will already understand some of the content, and definitely be able to use the examples in practical ways. I predict that your comprehension and willingness to experiment will allow you to comprehend as much as you are willing to explore.

WE all start somewhere. The new technology that keeps coming out finds plenty that I don’t know. After trying something new, often I still struggle, but experience and willingness to experience can, and does, lead to additional learning, even in an “old dog”, who CAN be taught new tricks! I predict that those who are willing, not afraid to make mistakes and learn, WILL make mistakes, but will also learn.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.