[Solved]My Aplications are missing from Menu (and a way to "solve" that problem)

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-16 “Berta Cáceres” [Solved]My Aplications are missing from Menu (and a way to "solve" that problem)

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Dec 19-2:47 am by PPC.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi, guys. Out of nowhere, after booting my antix system today I noticed that my Applications menu (Menu button- Aplications) was empty. (Whatever went wrong might have happended a while ago, I have my most used apps icons on my menu bar…). All other menu entries were fine.
    I googled for help and, not finding anything that seemed to solve my problem, I poked around my system and found out where the menu-applications text file was stored ( home/USERNAME/.icewm/menu-aplications pointed to /user/share/desktop-menu/.icewm/menu-aplications) and tried to open it. It was empty.
    The way I solved it was by booting from a live usb, copying the file to a folder, booting my installed system and moving the file to the correct folder on my hard drive. Presto!, my Aplications menu was back, But, I lost the menu entries that refered to the few apps I had installed in my system after instaling antix to my hard drive (no surprise there).
    Is there another way to solve the problem? Is there a back-up copy of menu-aplications file somewhere in my system that I can use?
    Also any idea what could have done that do my system?
    Thanks in advance for any reply.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by PPC.

/user/share/desktop-menu/.icewm/menu-aplications was empty.

On-demand, he “Update Menu” command right within the desktop menu will (should) repopulate your ~/.icewm/menu-aplications
    but, yes, it depends on the /user/share/desktop-menu/.icewm/menu-aplications, which serves as a template.

With the restored template in place, do you now find any ill result after running the “Update Menu” command?

Is there another way to solve the problem?

sudo cp /etc/skel/.icewm/menu-applications /user/share/desktop-menu/.icewm/menu-applications

Thanks for the reply.
    Your “update” tip worked! Thanks!
    Runing the command, I got this “cp: impossível criar o ficheiro regular «/user/share/desktop-menu/.icewm/menu-applications»: No such file or directory”. the portuguese part translates as “impossible to create regular file…
    As far as I can tell, /etc/skel/.icewm/menu-applications has only a link that points to /usr/share/desktop-menu/.icewm/menu-applications (witch was the empy file I replaced with the one from the boot usb thumbdrive).

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by PPC.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.