My first antiX is running

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX My first antiX is running

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated May 10-1:12 am by banned.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    banned

Hello

For a few weeks now I’ve been looking for a long-term solution for my notebook with only 1GB of RAM. And I think I found the right one, so antiX 🙂

Of course, antiX can’t witch either, and surfing Ram-intensive sites like facebook isn’t really fast. But it works quite well with Browser Brave.

What convinces me about antiX full is the amount of useful applications and system programs. Almost nothing is missing that you really need.

And the second thing that I like is the forum and the documentation. Very helpful 🙂

As a user of Lubuntu you have to practice antiX a bit first, but you quickly get used to it.

I will install another Linux, as a super small solution, especially for surfing. It will be Tiny Core. So I have the Tiny for internet work and the antiX in case I need more. And on the third partition I will test a different distro every now and then, just out of curiosity.

I hope you will also have good experiences with antiX 🙂 I feel very safe with it after a short time!

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by banned.
    christophe
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Welcome to antiX, where “… you quickly get used to it,” and with a tiny bit of courage, one can make “useless junk” into an actual computer again. And (many times) learn something new in the process…

Welcome to the forum, JSM. 🙂

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome to the forum, JSM. Congratulations on your new system and the success you are enjoying. Best wishes always!

Brian Masinick

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome JSM. Take your time and get to know antiX a little. I’m sure will find that it is capable of doing whatever you need. You will not need Tiny, or Puppy, or anything else. But for now, your plan is viable.

Search the forum for “low memory” or “low resources” or some similar terms. There is a lot here already on the subject of browsing with low resources.

I have found SeaMonkey to be my favorite for a low memory foot print. And Facebook has an alternate setting also for low resource browser. Try the mobile site. And look into the NoScript add-on.

I am now trying out Badwolf also. It is also very good in low memory cases. Also look for Palemoon and Slimjet.

Believe me, 1GB is more than enough. I browse websites using machines with much less using antiX. But it is true you have to make compromises. Only one or two tabs at a time. Sometimes no images or Javascript, etc.

Seaken64

banned
    Helpful
    Up

@seaken64

I am now testing Opera! Much better than Chromium or Firefox. But definitely 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.