My installation on a pendrive was not successful

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” My installation on a pendrive was not successful

Tagged: , , ,

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Aug 24-7:56 pm by dolphin_oracle.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    almost50almost50

Hi!

I installed Antix Linux from a pendrive to another. The installation ran without errors, and the Grub2 was installed on the MBR of the pendrive. But unfortunatly, when I choose the option on the boot menu, the system don’t load…

This is what I see when I type the fdisk command:

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sdb1 2048 524287 522240 255M EFI System
    /dev/sdb2 524288 117878783 117354496 56G Linux filesystem
    /dev/sdb3 117878784 122073087 4194304 2G Linux filesystem

Did I made a mistake installing the GRUB on the Pendrive?
    How can I solve this?

As I understand you are actually installing antiX on pendrive, not creating Live OS?
    The reason I am asking is that I believe there are many advantages of running antiX from pendrive as Live installation, rather than actually installing…
    If I am not mistaken:
    – Live on pendrive is much faster than installed
    – Live does not wear your pendrive by many writing operations
    – Live will work on any computer (laptop) you plug it in, whereas installed is more dependent on the computer you do such install.
    Please anyone correct me where I could be wrong on these points…

almost50almost50

Hi!
    The reason I did this is because the installer did not allow me to create a roofs higher than 4GB… even using a 64GB pendrive…

So, did you actually need over 4 gb or just figuring you might want it later?

A thought might be set it for 4 gb, install things some at a time, keeping an eye on available space between installs of programs, and if it starts getting tight, burn a new iso (via ISO Snapshot from Maintenance tab of Control Centre), which will incorporate all your rootfs changes, and then make yourself a new Live USB from the disks tab, and reboot off it and create a fresh 4 gb of rootfs on that flashdrive.

Just thinking aloud. I’ve done that before, but not recently, and not for that purpose, so be safe not sorry.

fatmacfatmac

From memory, the 4GB is the minimal size that it wants to install to, if using the GUI installer.
    You should be able to create any size partitions that you want, then put the boot loader onto that pendrive.
    I have had the problem of it not altering the /etc/fstab to the correct drive, you might want to check that.
    (It should be the first drive, normally /dev/sda)

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracledolphin_oracle

if booting with dynamic root persistence (the default persistence I think), you are limited by the amount of RAM I believe. I genererally use static persistence. slightly slower but fewer ram management constraints.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.