My old thinkpads…

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions My old thinkpads…

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by skidoo Nov 2-9:06 pm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Torsten

Hello together,

my “problems” do not concern the “new” releases plus I consider myself still as “new user”, thus posting here:
    (1) Thinkpad 600x: Did not play sound on 16.2 but does out of the box under 13.2 – So I did 10+ install runs playing araound and destroying the installation and starting over over the last week:
    – Grub does not install on partition (was known in the Tapatalk forum) – so finally I installed to MBR and exchanged the MBR with WinXP boot-ini-sectos until everything now works nicely (booting DOS, WinXP, OS2 and antiX 13.2 and WinPE-Rescue).
    – Release-Time presets for Repositories (Wheezy mostly) do not work any more. I did some guessing etc. and found something that works now (must be VERY carefully with deinstallation-requests by some newer packages) – nevertheless: can someoone maybe post a list of “correct” current Repo URLs for Wheeze, Lenny etc. and the corresponding antiX-special packages?
    – Still need to get Samba working and updating the menus and standard pogramms settings -if someone remembers how that was done in 13.2 – I am happy about tips…

(2) Thinkpad 600 (no x, Pentium 2!, but CF-card-“SSD” and TP-Link Atheros-9K-11n-USB-WLAN – so “modern stuff”):
    – 16.2 is installed and runsn with two big probs:
    – WLAN: the stick is seen and obviously tries to work, but the firmware crashes every second and writes a long message into kernel log, syslog and messages log – filling up the harddrive in about an hour. I tried a few firmware packages, but they make no difference (atheros-frimware 0.43, 0.38 or so and the 1610xx-version) – I beleive that either an older kernel (as needed for sound anyway) may help or a bug report to the driver guys (google does not find much so far) – likely troublemaker is timeout due to USB 1.1 (but no prob under W2K, so it must be possible to work that slow)… –> can anyone with some more understanding of the connections between the components and their teams advise, where I could look for a solution for that (i.e. Atheros ar9271 on USB 1.1)?
    – sound: The cs423x-driver is not included in many new kernels. There are some which do have the driver, but it snot easy to install a new kernel as long as the machine has no network (see above)…

(3) Is it planned to salvage at least the contents (has a huge lot of know-how, known problems and even solutions and links) of the old Tapatalk forum?

So far for now. Enjoying web radio via the 600x right now…

Torsten

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Looks like I am being cornered to blow away my hard fought AntiX 16.2 install on my IBM T23.

Give me some time < days > . I know what you mean about the Tapatalk data thingy. What puts my panties in a wad is all My how to’s from the forum before tapatalk. Google points it to the tapatalk forum. Which means a lot of my old work is gone.

Tips and Tricks – antiX-forum – Tapatalk
    antix.freeforums.org › antiX-forum › General
    Limiting writes to SSD on EEEPC. by rokytnji » 29 Apr 2010, 13:47. 4 Replies: 6.4K Views: Last post by brian 22 Sep 2016, 17:51. happyjoy! SIMPLE WAY TO …

In 2010. We were not using tapatalk.

When time allows. I will do a step by step install how to on my IBM T23. Not a video like D.O. does on you tube. But the old fashioned way in my own hillbilly style.

Last time I went through this. I fought my savage graphics chip tooth and nail with the new xorg . Ended up rolling with vesa.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

What puts my panties in a wad is all My how to’s from the forum before tapatalk. Google points it to the tapatalk forum. Which means a lot of my old work is gone….

It should still be readable for members.
    When you get time, we’ll try and move over the most important ones to this forum.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

– Still need to get Samba working and updating the menus and standard pogramms settings -if someone remembers how that was done in 13.2 – I am happy about tips

Being a poke and hope type of team member. I can’t remember 1/2 of any steps I take with out writing down what I am doing at that exact moment. Because I usually just experiment as a learning process in my case. Having ran AntiX on a IBM 390E in the past. I can’t even tell you how I managed doing that.

http://yatsite.blogspot.com/2009/07/fixing-old-gear.html

I abandoned my Blog site. After getting tired of all the spam hits on it. Life is too short for daily whack a mole.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

t should still be readable for members.

Basically. Because I logged out and emptied out my profile there. That is why I am seeing this.

Information

We have moved to https://www.antixforum.com/ – anticapitalista

So if I log back in. This will fix the above.

Forum Admin
    SamK

Off Topic

It should still be readable for members.

I can still log-in but cannot see any of the forums or discussions.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by SamK.
    skidoo

Sam, try again. As of today I’m able to login, read PMs, read the forums… seems like permission is even set to allow “start NewTopic” (but I didn’t)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.